what is all the things i need - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
timo
Post what is all the things i need

for a beardied dragon i really whant to get one maybe on my birth day march 17 are if you dont recomend me getting the beardied dragaon what do you guys/girls recomened me getting i have expirence with reptiles i have 3 leopard geckos high yellow,tremper albino and a normal i also have a iggy

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
Reptileking636
just know this and other things. google it
http://www.dachiu.com/care/abeard.html

Old 02-17-2007, 07:08 PM   #3
Dragonstar
I'd check out the care sheet posted above, as well as the ones at www.reptilerooms.com, and www.beardeddragon.org

Here are the basics:

Tank - an adult needs 6-8 square feet of floor space and at least 18 inches depth, so you're looking at a 75g or larger. Or you can build your own using the plans on these sites:
http://www.timelessspirit.com/enclosure.html
http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/

Substrate - for a baby or young dragon go with something solid (paper towels, nonadhesive shelf liner, reptile carpet, textured ceramic or slate tiles). I use tiles myself and love them - very easy to keep clean and help keep my dragon's nails trimmed down. If he's an adult and you really like the sand look, go with washed and sifted children's playsand from the home improvement store. Stay away from calcisand or vitasand for any dragon.

Heat bulb and fixture - a regular dome light fixture with a ceramic base/socket. For heat you can use a regular household lightbulb or a halogen flood light (my preference because it kicks out more heat per watt). The light should be clear - not red - and there should be no lights on in the dragon's tank at night. They don't need a heat source at night unless the temps drop below the low sixties F.

UV lighting - Either a reptisun 10.0 flourescent bulb (the full tube bulb, not the compact) or a mercury vapor bulb (see www.reptileuv.com). The flourescent needs to be replaced every six months and your dragon needs to be able to get within 6 inches of teh bulb. If you go with the MVB, some of them last a year and your dragon needs to be 12 inches away from the bulb.

Digital thermometer with a probe, or a temperature gun to accurately measure the temps. You want a basking spot of 100-110*F and a cool side of around 80*.

Then of course you'll need the live food - crickets and roaches (both no longer than the space between his eyes), silk worms, pheonix worms, and hornworms are all good. Mealies aren't good for small dragons, and superworms are good only for dragons 16 inches or longer. Growing dragons eat a lot of bugs (can be 60-100 crickets a day), adults considerably less bugs and more greens. Dragons should have a fresh salad offered daily. If you haven' seen them yet, here are some good sites for good greens, veggies, and fruit for dragons:
http://www.beautifuldragons.503xtrem...Nutrition.html
http://www.reptilerooms.com/Sections...98-page-1.html

I think that covers the basics. Hope that helps.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #4
mightymo
I'll add about the MVB just in case.

There is
Zoo-Med Powersun
ReptileUV MegaRay
T-Rex Active heat

I had a powersun and it burnt out after 3 months of use. They come with a warranty card but I'd lost the receipt or didn't get one so I couldn't send it in. I've heard other people saying they've had problems with them going out. It did do a world of good for my beardie though. Appetite increased and her colors really came out. They have a 100watt self ballasted and a 160watt self ballasted. This means that all you need is a dome light with ceramic base.

MegaRay has 100watt self ballasted and 160watt self ballasted and a 60watt external ballast. The external ballast needs the lamp and comes with a ballast to plug it into. It produces more UV but does not create heat, or near as much heat. I just got in a 100watt self ballasted this week and have had it in for a few days. Beardie has been basking and color is starting to come back out.

T-Rex Active heat I'm not informed on. All I know is that petco near here sells it for $70 something which is more than I can get either of the other two with shipping for.

Roaches would be a good investment for a baby dragon and I'm sure you can feed them to your leos as well.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!