Squirrels.... I hate 'em! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Mammals > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Mammals.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #1
WebSlave
Squirrels.... I hate 'em!

Every Spring I am plagued with squirrels that eat up the new shoots from one of my bamboo groves. Of course they pick my favorite one that is producing shoots around 6 inches in diameter (at least those that can escape the squirrel predations). I patrol the area regularly armed with my .17HMR rifle, or sometimes a 12 gauge, but they must run in, chew the hell out of whatever shoots they can find, then run off again. I've even offered a bounty of $5 a head to one of my workers when he has the time to take his 12 gauge out there. But there are apparently a WHOLE lot more of them then us out there.....

So I decided to try some different with a proactive deterrent spray. First off I tried some stuff that was supposedly designed for protecting plants from squirrels and rabbits. Called something like "Pepper Wax". So I sprayed the new shoots liberally, even spraying shoots that have previously been chewed on thinking they would be back for another bite or two. From what I could see the squirrels just thought it made the bamboo shoots more tasty and appealing. And I think the smell helped them locate the shoots more quickly as I would seek out the new ones and apply a coating of it in the hopes it would protect them. Sure didn't seem to be slowing them down any at all.

Well that didn't work.

So I went looking for something stronger. And found this stuff called "Wildfire" -> http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/wildfire.htm

Contains 18 percent of the pepper concentrate. I figured maybe coating the entire area with this stuff would be enough to persuade the varmints to stay out and leave the shoots alone. Ordered the stuff Wednesday, shipped Thursday, and arrived today.

So I took one of the spray dispensers down to the bamboo grove and just did some short bursts on a few of the shoots. I just caught the barest whiff of that stuff, and gawd damn!!!!! My nose was on fire, my eyes felt like they were being rubbed with sandpaper, and my chest started giving me some sharp pains...... I had to evacuate the area like immediately. Man, that stuff is NASTY! I think I'm going to have to use a face mask and be REAL careful with that stuff. Wind shifts the wrong way and I'd be down for the count for certain. I couldn't imaging being hit full in the face with a spray of this stuff. Just a short burst in a room would clear it in a hurry. I'm just now getting over the effects and my nose has stopped running. Like I said, NASTY stuff. If someone threatens you with pepper spray, don't think you are just dealing with something like what's in the pepper shaker on the kitchen table. This is a whole WORLD of difference!

So anyway, if the squirrels can ignore that stuff, then the bamboo is theirs. They must want it pretty badly.... Either that or I need to find a source of Claymores....... :hehehe:

Old 04-10-2009, 01:05 PM   #2
BryonsBoas
I hates the Bushy Tailed Tree Rats.

Not as much as I hate the Armadillos tho. The dillos keep digging up our yard. If I had the time to train them, I'd have them in one spot and use it for a garden. We plan on doing some landscaping this year and I'll be beyond ticked if they trash it.

Old 04-10-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
Lucille
When I go to the park my dogs always want to take off and go get the squirrels. Is your property fenced so if you adopted a couple dogs from the local shelter they could pay their way by doing squirrel attacks during the day?

It sure seems like those varmints have been giving you a hard time for years.

Old 04-10-2009, 03:06 PM   #4
WebSlave
I've got 50 acres, most of which is heavily wooded and a stream on the north end. Fencing isn't practical...

This spring there was a large owl hanging around the area, so I was hopeful he would be helping out with squirrel control. Apparently not.....

Old 04-10-2009, 05:03 PM   #5
Tiger Lilly
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So I went looking for something stronger. And found this stuff called "Wildfire" -> http://www.guardian-self-defense.com/wildfire.htm

Contains 18 percent of the pepper concentrate. I figured maybe coating the entire area with this stuff would be enough to persuade the varmints to stay out and leave the shoots alone. Ordered the stuff Wednesday, shipped Thursday, and arrived today.

So I took one of the spray dispensers down to the bamboo grove and just did some short bursts on a few of the shoots. I just caught the barest whiff of that stuff, and gawd damn!!!!! My nose was on fire, my eyes felt like they were being rubbed with sandpaper, and my chest started giving me some sharp pains...... I had to evacuate the area like immediately. Man, that stuff is NASTY! I think I'm going to have to use a face mask and be REAL careful with that stuff. Wind shifts the wrong way and I'd be down for the count for certain. I couldn't imaging being hit full in the face with a spray of this stuff. Just a short burst in a room would clear it in a hurry. I'm just now getting over the effects and my nose has stopped running. Like I said, NASTY stuff. If someone threatens you with pepper spray, don't think you are just dealing with something like what's in the pepper shaker on the kitchen table. This is a whole WORLD of difference!

So anyway, if the squirrels can ignore that stuff, then the bamboo is theirs. They must want it pretty badly.... Either that or I need to find a source of Claymores....... :hehehe:
Rich, that sounds like some of the stuff I use at work! I'm interested in knowing if it works on the varmints...it definitely works on the ones I spray it on! I bought a spare can to spray on my garbage can to keep stray dogs/raccoons out of it--it works great for that.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
DragonsNDoodles
If you're still having trouble with these critters, I'd suggest trying Sevin dust. I use it on my garden to prevent deer, squirrels, and rabbits. It certainly works! I only have to use it outside the fence though since my 1 1/2 year old labradoodle has a killing streak in her, and she's quicker than her poor victims! She honestly just wants to play with them, but rabbits and squirrels usually have heart attacks from the fright and die.

Old 04-20-2011, 12:28 AM   #7
crazytailreptiles
i have a hell of a time keeping cats out of my garden...good luck with the Squirrels..

Old 02-10-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
Lucille
A new Celebrity squirrel:
http://blog.chron.com/newswatch/2012...ral-pa-couple/

Old 02-10-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
snowgyre
Richard, I've used cyan pepper on squirrels before to no effect. Let me know if that stuff works for you though, I have yet to find something that deters a squirrel. Perhaps you should get into falconry... a red-tailed hawk perched within lunging distance of those shoots will definitely keep the squirrels away!

Old 02-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #10
AGoodwin
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've got 50 acres, most of which is heavily wooded and a stream on the north end. Fencing isn't practical...

This spring there was a large owl hanging around the area, so I was hopeful he would be helping out with squirrel control. Apparently not.....
Cats are another option if you dont mind them. My mothers cat is a real killer. anything he can get his paws on. Birds, Mice, Rats, Moles, Snakes, Frogs, Bats, Chipmunks, and yes, Squirrels. Every morning the walk way is covered in various remains. Half of one animal, head of another, piles of intestines, a foot here, a tail there. It got me pretty desensitized.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!