Brown recluse spider bite - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 06-13-2003, 10:27 PM   #1
WebSlave
Brown recluse spider bite

The critter:

=================
Day 3 after bite:

=================
Day 4 after bite:

=================
Day 5 after bite:

=================
Day 6 after bite:

=================
Day 9 after bite:

=================
Day10 after bite:

No, I don't know whom the hand belongs to. This was sent to me via an email.

Old 06-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #2
gardenmum
Exclamation Man that is nasty

I hate the thought of those spiders. One thing to be glad about living in Vermont. Hardly any of those critters around.

But aren't those pics numbered backwards. I would think the wound gets worse slowly not the other way around.

Old 06-14-2003, 12:14 AM   #3
Seamus Haley
ACK!@

It's... not too likely that it's a recluse envenomation... really...

The chelicerae in L. reclusa are fused, they can't simply bite because they're inclined to, the body has to be crushed and damaged to force them into the skin, they literally can not bite/envenomate on their own, which is why most legitimate envenomations occur when someone is asleep (and rolls over on one) or on very rare occasions when sticking part of their body someplace they can't see (foot inside a shoe for instance)...

Secondly, the necrotic effect of recluse venom produces a "dry" rot to the tissue, there is very little fluid involved either at the site of envenomation or as the bullseye pattern spreads, that is clearly not the case in these pictures.

First thing I would do is verify that the person claiming to have been envenomated actually lives in the natural range of the species... most recluse envenomations are diagnosed by "Medical professionals" way the hell outside of the areas the species are found in...

And even if it was a recluse envenomation or even a suspected recluse envenomation, the necrotic effect wouldn't have spread the way the one in the photos did since the introduction of a (fairly) new treatment using nitroglycerin patches as opposed to the older and very ineffective O2 therapy...

Go here... http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5...l/recluse.html for a good range map...

Here... http://spiders.ucr.edu/necrotic.html for more reasonable explainations than a spider with fused chelicerae...

And here... http://atshq.org/articles/sbadwp.html for a very important piece by Bob Greene.

Gotta say, I'm kinda surprised to see this sort of thing from herpers... you'd think that if anyone would understand the near psycotic public phobia of an animal, to the point where they create situations (the diagnosed cases by people in white coats with their heads up their... rectums... outside the spider's range) specifically in order to implicate them as being dangerous it'd be herpers. This is exactly the same as stories about how someone's corn snake ate their neighbor's kitten.

The upshoot though is that whoever was diagnosed as being envenomated by a recluse has one hell of a malpractice lawsuit open to them... make the MD pay for their quickness to blame a source that's not responsible.

Old 06-14-2003, 01:14 AM   #4
WebSlave
Seamus - so where exactly are brown recluse spiders found these days?

We're not talking about a historical natural range any longer, are we? That would be like saying that someone couldn't have been stung by fire ants, because the fire ant's natural range (at least where they occured in nature before being spread around with the help of mankind) does not include Florida.

I have heard from people that they have gotten brown recluse spiders along with their cricket shipments on occasion. No, I have not witnessed that myself, but the people whom have told me that accurately described what they look like. Enough so that I had no reason to doubt their word.

And Dianne, yes, somehow I had reversed the numbers of the photos when I copied them up to my server and labeled them. Sorry... I have corrected that in the original message.

Old 06-14-2003, 02:15 AM   #5
Intense Herpetoculture
Seamus,

You sure about the bite of a recluse? Keith at www.Chameleoncounters.com had a bite a few weeks ago. I was able to witness it (Keith being a good friend). It was not dry and produces alot of fluid. I'll post pics of it shortly.

Old 06-14-2003, 08:37 AM   #6
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Seamus - so where exactly are brown recluse spiders found these days?
There is the range map on the website I linked to that's still very accurate, the species is not naturally found outside of that area... there is always a minimal possibility of individual animals being sent someplace else in produce shipments or in a box of crickets or on a moving van or... anything that goes from one area to the other... But it's such a minescule chance as to be virtually meaningless, being transported, then being encountered, then being crushed at the proper angle for incidental envenomation... the chances against it are astronomical. The difference between recluse and fireants is that fire ants have established viable, breeding populations outside their natural range, as of right now with the information I have avaliable, Brown recluse have not.

Quote:
You sure about the bite of a recluse? Keith at www.Chameleoncounters.com had a bite a few weeks ago. I was able to witness it (Keith being a good friend). It was not dry and produces alot of fluid. I'll post pics of it shortly
Did you see the spider itself prior to the envenomation or just the injury?

If you did happen to see it, how many eyes did it have?

Did he happen to smash the spider against himself (or himself against the spider)?

Recluse envenomations are misdiagnosed more often than they are properly diagnosed simply because of the somewhat foolish and inaccurate public "everyone knows" mentality about the nature of the bites and a bit of innocent ignorance about the basic physical construction of the spider...

The chelicerae (fangs) are fused in Loxoceles, the animal can't wiggle them around like a tarantula, they're essentially stuck in position, a position that doesn't allow them to strike at broad surfaces... with an average adult size of about 3/4" leg span being a bigger individual, and the body much smaller, this leaves them unable to manuver the chelicerae into any position that would be able to puncture human skin without their body being crushed and bent, forcing the "fangs" through the skin. Additionally, due to simple size, the envenomation from a recluse could barely be felt and the venom is reported to have virtually no pain associated with it immediately after envenomation (as opposed to Latrodectus, the other big scary spiders we've got in the U.S. which are also overblown but really do hurt) according to the verified and substantiated reports where the spider was identified as being the culprit by a qualified arachnidologist.

The necrotic effect of the venom is very much so a dry rot, it's not a big juicy fluid oozing mess, it's an evenly spreading area of fairly compact necrotic tissue with a narrow band of active rot... there's healthy tissue, there's a very small area of currently rotting tissue and there's the area where the tissue is essentially gone.

Recluse envenomations can be very easily treated by any competent doctor with a fairly simple nitro patch above the area of envenomation, halting the spread of the necrotic effect almost immediately and leaving only faint scarring... problem is, most necrotic effects are misdiagnosed and the treatments used for one cause won't work on certain others... a common treatment for years was O2 therapy, which would have no positive effect on a recluse enevenomation... but again, most of the diagnosed envenomations simply aren't factual.

There have been no substantiated and verified cases of humans being capable of having allergic reactions to spider venoms, it's possible of course, there are people allergic to sunshine or water... but it hasn't happened yet in a way that has been verified by competent doctors (Competent is a HUGE issue here, I wouldn't trust an arachnidologist to perform surgery and I don't trust doctors to diagnose envenomations, they simply don't have reliable education about the subject in most cases) however... plenty of people are allergic, to some degree or another to a whole host of insect venoms, plant toxins, secretions from microorganisms, household chemicals, amphibian secretions, reptile venoms, animal dander and hundreds of other things... many of which can produce really nasty effects if introduced into the bloodstream via any open wound (meaning papercuts).

I'm not going to say 100% that it isn't a recluse envenomation... I suppose it could have picked up a secondary infection to cause the fluid buildup... and I suppose that this person could have crushed the spider against themselves... and I suppose the doctor could (and most likely did) have proposed an improper treatment... But it's not too likely and unless the spider was seen in advance of the enevenomation and collected afterwards and the species verified by someone who can tell a recluse from a wolf or cellar spider (you'd be amazed at how many people can't), I'm going to remain skeptical and file this with most other "recluse envenomations" I've been told about.

It's really a matter of public education and the understanding of the masses, everyone knows someone who knows someone who's cousin's best friend's roommate from college's sister's boyfriend's auto mechanic's kid was envenomated by a recluse, usually hundreds of miles outside of the animals natural range and it usually was treated with antibiotics (which do nothing whatsoever except maybe help a bit with any possible secondary infections in actual envenomations)... The same way they all know someone similar only it was a burmese python that ate someone's kid or a rattler that killed an entire family while they were at a picnic.

Dr. Greene there, the one who wrote the very short piece in the third link above is online pretty frequently and is certainly a trustworthy source, right up there with Rick West (although for some reason I have gotten the impression that they don't get along or respect one another but I have no idea why I have that impression it's just a feeling) I'll email him a link to the thread... he might participate, he might not... I acknowledge fully that the recluse envenomations I've seen have been mostly in books, with only a few suspected envenomations in person (followed appropriate pathology and responded to treatment but the spider was not collected for identification) but those photos really don't look like any of the true envenomations that I've ever seen, they DO however look like a lot of misdiagnosed envenomations caused by insect bites/stings or lyme disease.

There's something of a larger issue here too... one that covers any animal capable of venom production and the public opinion that has grown up around them... the idea that somehow the animals are dangerous and need to be exterminated despite the backlash this has on the local ecology. Someone has a house full of wolf spiders and can't tell the difference between them and recluse... they are scared because of the stories they have heard and the occasional picture that shows up... They have the house fumigated multiple times to ensure the population is decimated. Much like any other predatory species, the spiders have a slower reproductive rate than their prey and don't bounce back from the fumigation as quickly, the house is over-run by true pest species that pose an actual health risk. It's very nearly identical to rattlesnake roundups, over the top extermination of a species simply because of inaccurate fears based in fantasy. I'm not a whiney tree hugging type who latches on to every "Save the Insert Species here!" campaign that comes along, but I do my research and try to reccognize legitimate and reasonable danger when it occurs and to differentiate that from superstition and misinformation before deciding on a course of action or response. In fact, after learning that L. reclusa had fused chelicerae, I was skeptical and had about forty of them sent from Missouri specifically to euthanize them and verify that this was in fact the case (it was in the first thirty I checked, after all of them were fused, I kept the remaining ten for a time as pets... but I've also kept leeches (Some really pretty Placobdella parasitica and P. ornata that I pulled off a batch of red eared sliders), so I might not be completely sane).

Old 06-14-2003, 08:50 AM   #7
Seamus Haley
One thing I just noticed after my last response posted...

Quote:
One thing to be glad about living in Vermont. Hardly any of those critters around.
There are NONE of those critters in Vermont or anywhere even close, but the statement that there are "hardly any" (indicating there are some) is important because it shows how easily recluse can be confused/mistaken with wolf spiders and cellar spiders, even by educated individuals with a strong understanding of animals.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
gardenmum
Seamus

I am sorry but it was late at night and I was half asleep. I should have worded that differently. I know that they are not native in my area (one plus for winters), but we had a report a couple years back in our local paper of a person who had found one in their house and it was a definite confirmed (caught live) recluse that they found in their house. I realize, as did everyone, that this had to have been brought in 'with something.' But once in a warm home, they live just as happily as in warmer climates. Hence my saying 'hardly found' here, since they can be brought in with other things and once in the home, enjoy the creature comforts.
Sorry, if I worded that wrong and made you think that I thought they were indiginous to this area.

Old 06-14-2003, 10:47 AM   #9
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Military bases

Any time your any where near a military base in the spring or summer.........just throw out the "Natural range" of any creepy, crawly, icky thing that can fit in an old box drug from base to base. I have seen cockroaches the size of small dogs (I may be exagerating a little) dash out of boxes shipped with household good from Hawaii, I've unpacked boxes with spiders bigger than dinner plates (now, I am exagerating, but I swear it had 10 legs!! It was a big spider at any rate) and when I was living in Alaska the local playground was shut down when a back widow nest was found in the wooden play ground equipment (Not exagerating, the entire base got paronoid over one non-native spider, they shut down the park until they decided if there were any others WINTER in Alaska would take care of any non-native survivors)

But, then I am willing to admit that maybe I am a bit unreasonable when it comes to spiders (I swear that spider had AT LEAST 11 legs, was bigger than a basketball, carried an Uzi and GROWLED at me!)

I've been afraid of the brown recluse for years, after hearing awful, terrifying stories about the necrotic bite, and that they often nail house wives who are cleaning old forgotten areas that the "Recluse" would love to be nesting in.

That, and black widows. Again, with the stories.

So pretty much every time I see a spider I do the "Oh my god! It's a spider!" dance. And yeah, I'm afraid to kill them too (I have visions of swinging my shoe and just missing the spider, then it turns around and announces "Missed me B-itch! My turn!!")

Unreasonable fear of spiders. Yep, thats me.

Unpack those boxes with a bottle of raid, a shoe, and a little music for the "Oh my God! It's a Spider!" dance

Old 06-14-2003, 02:09 PM   #10
Clay Davenport
On that link with the range map. I'm not sure how large they consider the marginal areas of the range, but I live 150 miles outside of it and they are native here. I personally saw 6 browns that were captured in Buncombe County NC.
Three were donated to the Nature Center there for exhibit, and the others were kept by the fellow that captured them, a local arachnid afficionado.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!