how does one worm a monitor? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2015, 03:16 PM   #1
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
how does one worm a monitor?

So I've put some time and money into the enclosure~ 6'X'5'2'
I've got it all set up and I've ordered the monitors ~ Pair of black tree monitors
Being black tree monitors I'm aware they are surely wild collected~ I know I need to worm and delouse them. I'm getting everything ready when it occurs to me....
is there an easy way to do this and I just don't know about it?

I've done a few WC Ball Pythons several years ago so I'm thinking I've got to go to me vet get a feeding tube, a syringe and some panacur to put down them. Then when they get here give them a spray with Provent-a-mite and just accept that some of the crickets will fall pray to the permethrin on the lizards for the first several weeks.

But's its been a number of years since I last brought in and acclimated a WC animal~ is there an easier way to go about this that I should be made aware of?

Any help appreciated!
I'm excited for this fun new project!!

Old 06-15-2015, 03:53 PM   #2
hhmoore
I usually just dosed rat pinks, and let them eat. Much less stressful all the way around.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #3
TheFragginDragon

Way back when I had a stray Savannah monitor dropped off to me, I ended up worming him the same way.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:45 AM   #4
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Thanks! My vet suggested if I just give them each 0.1cc ivermectin injection today and again in two weeks that should do the trick. I've tried putting panacur in a pinky and it usually winds up a mess so I'm gonna try the ivermectin today I think. Let's hope it's not as difficult as I fear!

Old 06-19-2015, 03:14 AM   #5
NocturnalNature
I'd rethink administering Ivermectin. It has been known to cause serious health issues, and often death, particularly when used for Chelonia. While I doubt you'll find specific case reports for your particular species, I would personally stick with the tried and true oral medications such as Flagyl and Panacur unless your veterinarian is extremely well versed in the treatment of reptiles.
While all medications used for the treatment of parasites can certainly be toxic, the two mentioned above have a well documented track record for safety in a wide variety of reptiles, as well as dosing tables that have proven to be effective in eliminating parasitic loads.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!