Watch Out For Spiders In Your Crickets - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 05-02-2005, 10:38 AM   #41
Rebel Dragons
Anyone else think that it could have been a brown recluse?

Old 05-04-2005, 09:17 AM   #42
John Apple
No not at all is that a recluse or even a member of loxoceles
It does look similiar but I am guessing it is a darker form of the purseweb spiders you find behind the thin veil of webbing in a corner or crease of your room, which are a cause for alarm since the bite has similiar properties to a recluse bite though not as severe. I am drawing a blank as to the name of this family sorry.
Another note on the species distribution map, I have found loxoceles reclusa in Michigan and also hobo spiders in my very own basement so I am sure that map is VERY outdated.
The spiders in the mouth thing....take a spider and deprive it of moisture [dry season]for a week and then put a drop of water with it, It will automatically 'drink'. a wandering non web [home] building spider will do the same with ANY source of moisture such as that drop of spit dangling from the corners of your mouth when you sleep :eatpointe yummy

Old 05-05-2005, 01:37 AM   #43
bluerosy
He was lighter before I sprayed him. That is what darkened him and caused him to shrivel up. He was lighter before.
I looked at him with a jewlers loop right after I sprayed him and he looked identical to the picture of the recluse posted here.

What do you see that is different from a normal recluse?

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2005, 05:47 AM   #44
Xelda
Here are a couple of sites that might help:
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5...l/recluse.html
http://spiders.ucr.edu/recluseid.html

There are actually a ton more out there like those.

But regarding the spider in question, it doesn't look like a brown recluse to me. The color and shape of the carapace is different, and it looks like the legs should be slightly longer in proportion to its body. Moreover, unless the bunny was just taken out of a closet or something, it seems unusual that a brown recluse would be hiding under it in the middle of a room where there's a lot of noise and activity.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:26 AM   #45
John Apple
Thank you Olivia
The 'other' species I was talking about was the cheiracanthum sp. or yellow sac spiders as was noted in your link [the first one].
These I have seen in every state I have been in.

Old 05-05-2005, 06:06 PM   #46
Rebel Dragons
Wow, you guys really know your spiders!!! Thanks for all the info.

Old 05-06-2005, 07:05 AM   #47
John Apple
awwww hyuck hyuck hyuck ..shucks mam yer making us all blush
It's kind of funny some books list A aurantiaca [that big yellow striped garden spider with the stablementum in the middle of the web] as a venomous creature
but then what about those distribution maps

Old 05-07-2005, 10:47 AM   #48
Rebel Dragons
I have yet to see any maps I trust to be accurate. As far as I am concerned all spiders are the same..............Scary

Old 05-07-2005, 10:48 AM   #49
Rebel Dragons
Although I have to admit I think some are pretty cool looking. From a distance of course.

Old 05-07-2005, 11:20 AM   #50
robin d.
spiders...... i scream like a bunny!!i wont kill them though i make my husband do it... i have a suspicion about them having a some sort of collective "connection"... so the last thing i want a spider seeing is me... because then maybe all his uncles cousins aunts and children will be out for me LOL i know it sounds funny but its actually a theory that is backed up by several scientific tests... but only a few different kinds of animals.(animals being a general term)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!