HELP, Injured Praying Mantis. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Insects and Arachnids > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Insects and Arachnids.

Old 10-07-2006, 08:22 PM   #1
Leighanne
HELP, Injured Praying Mantis.

Well, I was at work today and outside getting some carts, and sometimes I look at the ground. I was looking and there she was lying there on the ground looking dead. I bent down and looked, and then tried to pick her up by the front part of her body putting my hand underneath the front is what I'm saying. I almost vomited right there once I realized what I was looking at. Poor girl looked...squished. To my surprise she moved and I started crying immediately and in the middle of work went to the Grocery Department and got my Fiancee. I wasn't sure what to do. I was shocked. Thats the first injured, or almost dead Mantis I've ever seen. I told him to kill it and put it out of its misery but he didn't. He asked me again when we got out there and I said no. I couldn't do it. I couldn't watch it. He said she was a goner though. I believe its a girl because she has short antenna. Right John?? Its funny to, because I was crying my Fiancee told me to grow up. LOL

I went and put her in a deli cup with paper towels with a wet area. She layed on her back how I put her in for awhile. Well then I got off 20 minutes later and went on brake with Jeff and we were talking about it. Her injury is right in between her body segments, under the beginning of the wings. There was some blood on the ground and she has some on her. Under her left, or right arm (I forget) she has a blue spot to. I have no clue what that is. Whats REALLY interesting is we predicted her to die on my way home and shes still kicking. I was messin with her before I left work and she used her front arms and got ahold of a piece of paper towel and she climbed up and then up and all over my hand!!!! The fact that she has some guts hanging out and she STILL climbs vigorously is AMAZING!! I have some questions. Is there ANYTHING I can do for her??? Do Insects feel pain?? My most important question is...CAN she HEAL???????? She can still eat because she can still use her claws. She pinched, and that was the first time I've ever been pinched. OWW!! Can I swab some neosporin on her? Can she heal??? It could be bad, but I have heard miracle stories to. Ya never know. It was against me to leave her to die for sure. If shes going to be a fighter I figure I can at least give her a fighting chance. Thanx guys!

Old 10-07-2006, 11:54 PM   #2
Mooing Tricycle
i think thats kinda sweet that you saved the bug. most others would have just killed it for simplicity... i dunno if you can do anything, but i hope for the best for the little creature :P

Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
John Apple
First off I must commend you for trying to save it's life and it does sound like a female.The blue spot is like it's wound or bruise. The guts hanging out will most likely harden up [one of the ways insects heal]. Time is the only factor you have on your side, what I am saying time will tell if she will pull thru.
Try feeding a young soft cricket and see what happens.
Good luck

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!