A couple articles about reptile caused salmonella - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 05-06-2011, 11:34 AM   #1
wcreptiles
A couple articles about reptile caused salmonella

Just ran across these, thought they might be noteworthy.

Quote:
Safety advice
Frogs blamed for salmonella outbreak
Apr 15, 2011 11:38 AM

Word to the wise: don’t go kissing any frogs. A salmonella outbreak blamed on pet frogs, including African dwarf frogs won as prizes at carnivals, has sickened more than 200 people across 41 states. Most of the ill are young kids—over 70 percent are under the age of 10—and about 30 percent ended up in the hospital.

The CDC says the outbreak began in April 2009 and that a California breeding center was identified as the source of the frogs in 2010. A large outbreak of salmonella poisoning that occurred in 2007 and 2008 was linked to pet turtles and also involved mostly children.

Symptoms of salmonella poisoning include diarrhea, fever and abdominal cramps.

All amphibians (frogs, salamanders) and reptiles (turtles, lizards, snakes) are commonly contaminated with salmonella. The bacteria don’t make these animals sick, but they can make people ill and even be life-threatening to children, elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Small pet frogs are of particular concern because children are more likely to handle the frogs without washing their hands afterward, and sometimes even put the frogs in their mouths.

The FDA warns that it’s best to keep amphibians and reptiles out of homes with young children, the elderly, or people with weakened immune systems. If you do have a pet frog or turtle, don’t allow it to roam around your kitchen—but you wouldn’t do that anyway. And don’t clean out aquariums or other supplies in the kitchen sink. Use bleach to disinfect a tub or other place where you’ve cleaned aquariums and supplies. Always wash you hands after touching any amphibian or reptile or anything (aquarium, food) that has come in contact with one. And remember these safe handling tips (spell them out to your children as well) if you find yourself in contact with a froggy friend at a petting zoo, park or childcare facility.
http://news.consumerreports.org/safe...-outbreak.html

Quote:
Leapin' lizards! Bearded dragons linked to salmonella-tainted gravy

Wolfgang Kumm / AFP - Getty Images

Bearded dragon lizards are praised as great pets, but health officials warn that they, like other reptiles and amphibians, can spread salmonella infections.

By JoNel Aleccia, msnbc.com health writer
It might be the weirdest way yet to contract food poisoning: Take two bearded dragon lizards, combine with a big batch of turkey gravy and serve to unwitting patrons of a community potluck Thanksgiving dinner.

That’s what happened in Minnesota in 2009, when an outbreak of Salmonella infections typically associated with reptiles sickened at least 19 holiday diners and led health officials on a winding trek that led to a pair of living room lizards.

In the end, the problem was traced back to the private home of a cook who also happened to keep two of the scaly critters in a glass cage, according to a new case report detailed in the journal Zoonoses and Public Health. Three days before the potluck, the cook had made turkey, potatoes, gravy and two salads.

Within hours of the meal, three potluck patrons reported illness and experts were called in to investigate. Trouble was, none of the sick people reported contact with reptiles.

After much sleuthing, however, investigators detected the types of salmonella that made people sick, including an unusual strain of Samonella Labadi, in several places in the gravy-maker’s house, including the kitchen. Health officials said that the infections likely came from the bearded dragons, perhaps when a teenager in the home changed the critters’ food and water dishes using the kitchen sink.

Researchers say it’s just another reminder that reptiles -- including lizards, turtles and snakes -- may be great pets, but they’re also a common source of infections that can be dangerous, even deadly, to very young children and others with vulnerable immune systems. Amphibians, too, can pose problems, such as the recent outbreak of salmonella in more than 200 people caused by pet African dwarf frogs.

The risk of salmonella poisoning in homes that keep reptiles is well documented, the researchers say. But it’s another thing entirely for lax food handlers to sicken large groups of people, all for the sake of a couple scaly pets. They call for better education about food safety -- and more vigilance to keep reptile bacteria away from the gravy.
http://bodyodd.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...-tainted-gravy

Just look at that cute face, how could he be responsible for anything bad?
Attached Images

Old 05-06-2011, 12:45 PM   #2
AaronP1977
people

I dont the think the lizard (or the frogs) could be responsible for anything bad... However, the people who do not have proper husbandry techniques or do not wash their hands properly are to blame.

Why is that if someone catches Hepatitis from not washing their hands after going to the bathroom it isn't news...but if the same person dose not wash their hands after cleaning a bearded cage gets sick...or allows their child to handle reptiles and amphibians without making sure they wash their hands ..it is "news"?

Sounds like ignorance and bad parenting to me.....

Old 05-06-2011, 02:09 PM   #3
rcarichter
Ever notice that zookeepers, breeders, hobbyists, etc. never get salmonella? Is it that we're all just meticulously careful 100% of the time? I must admit that I've perhaps, once or twice, touched an animal without immediately washing my hands. It's possible I've even had a snake or two near my face. Guess I'm just rolling the dice...

Old 05-12-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
BobOblak
I discussed this with my doctor. His opinion is that since I have had reptiles continuously since I was a child, that my immune system must be primed to take care of any exposure.
In today's sanitized world, many people have naive immune systems due to lack of exposure to antigens. Then when they get exposed to a big dose of something, they cant generate an effective immune response. I am sure I must eat at least 10 different strains of salmonella every day, and it keeps the Dr. away.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:48 AM   #5
AaronP1977
I agree

I agree. I often have wondered about that. I got my first snake when i was 5 (now am near 34 ) and we were not aware of salmonella on reptiles ect. I have had a lot of critters growing up and I must have eaten a salmonella cocktail every day from childhood... never once been sick from reptiles that I am aware of in all that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
I discussed this with my doctor. His opinion is that since I have had reptiles continuously since I was a child, that my immune system must be primed to take care of any exposure.
In today's sanitized world, many people have naive immune systems due to lack of exposure to antigens. Then when they get exposed to a big dose of something, they cant generate an effective immune response. I am sure I must eat at least 10 different strains of salmonella every day, and it keeps the Dr. away.

Old 05-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Clay Davenport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobOblak View Post
I've always thought this was a possibility.
When I have children around the snakes I'm especially sanitary, with the hand sanitizer always at the ready.
When I'm working with the snakes myself though, the truth is I don't even think about it. I have no doubt that I've had salmonella in the collection, and probably do now. As I understand it, it's quite common, just as it is with several of the meats we regularly consume.
I've spot cleaned snake cages with one hand while eating a sandwich with the other.
I've been strangled on water from turtle and frog tanks while siphoning them.
I've even accidentally stuck the wrong end of a probe in my mouth while sexing snakes on more than one occasion.
I have a son who's 18 and has grown up around all manner of reptiles. He touched his first snake about the time he could understand what "one finger" meant. He had a box turtle at the age of 5 and bred cornsnakes for the first time at 9. I still have one snake that I've had longer than I've had him.

To my knowledge no member of my family has ever contracted salmonella. If we did it was a mild case and mistaken for stomach flu.
I've long suspected that we, myself particularly, have a degree of resistance to it due to two decades of periodic exposure.

If only the CDC would go ahead and admit that keeping reptiles was good for the immune system.

Old 05-13-2011, 01:15 PM   #7
Beardiefreak26
amen lol

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!