DIY 41qt XPVC snake rack ideas/possible help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
plsbh
DIY 41qt XPVC snake rack ideas/possible help

Long post......

Found a helpful guide by "ssscales" about the putting together of a cb70 rack using xpvc and I have found a local supplier that is about 56 dollars a sheet compared to the other local places wanting 100 per sheet.

I have made a few melamine racks since starting to purchase some ball pythons, but with moving to school here in a few weeks I wanted a much lighter material I can move easier and I also made them to fit 28qt and 32qt tubs. Since I plan on getting some breeder size girls I plan on switching to a 41qt rack system. I was wondering if anyone had any 41qt homemade rack pictures they can post up. At the moment I plan on buying two 48x96 sheets which will give me Five-35x17 shelves and leaves me with 8 feet of 13 inch wide extra strip. Plus 11 inch by 35 extra as well.

I guess the main reason I am making this post is I am kind of wondering how everyone has their legs/support setup. Width and height of the post if the rack is open. I was thinking I could possibly have the legs cut down to two sets of 6feetx5inch then a single set of 6feetx3 inches. That would give me four five inch wide post for two back support and two back side supports. Then the three inch wide could be side front supports?

I don't know lol I always have a hard time calculating everything out and want to use as much as the material as possible without wasting anything. So if anyone has any pictures of their 41qt setups and or ideas for me let me know.

Cliff notes
New rack idea
Utilize as much of the 4x8 sheets as possible
I'm retarded
Post diy pictures/ideas

4x8 sheet x2 Below
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2011, 07:27 PM   #2
plsbh
Well I went ahead and got the material today, and they kinda trimmed the legs uneven so when I went back to fix it I made some of the shelves a little uneven (since I already pre-drilled holes). Since the way I did the plans was for 41qt tubs there is some extra scraps that I will try to utilize to make another small shelf or two for maybe 28qt tubs to hold a few smaller ball pythons. The only other thing I need is probably two side trims because the 41qt's are flexible and they can be pushed out the side. Also waiting on my new flexwatt and thermostat to come in.

Don't mind the basement I have a bunch of random things spread all out.

Also, I would of liked to had solid walls of course, but that expanded pvc is kinda pricey, but it is very light weight.
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #3
Tokens
Hey thanks for the idea. I've been considering making a melamine 41 qt. But I really like the lighter wieght idea with PVC!

Old 08-22-2011, 04:06 PM   #4
plsbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokens View Post
Hey thanks for the idea. I've been considering making a melamine 41 qt. But I really like the lighter wieght idea with PVC!
Bad part is the expense, but good part is the weight and material is all finished looking even when you cut it, as opposed to the wood/particle interior on the melamine.

Old 08-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #5
Tokens
Does it feel flimsy at all? With full weight of snakes, tubs and bedding, do you think it would be sturdy?

Old 08-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #6
plsbh
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokens View Post
Does it feel flimsy at all? With full weight of snakes, tubs and bedding, do you think it would be sturdy?
The front legs would make me nervous when I used them for leverage to pick it up when building it, which is why I put that piece between the two. But once positioned its fine.

I had been thinking after I made it, it probably wouldn't be too bad to go out and just have the xpvc cut for the shelves and then find some nice wood boards to use for the legs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!