SnakeSnare.com - Self Explanitory - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #31
Vince
I never seen where the guy selling the snake snares said the only good snake is a dead snake.what a moron!

but I still belive that a snake trap is the lesser of two evils when people are useing fire arms to shot snakes.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:00 PM   #32
Tripple H Herps
I agree with Vince when he says killing the snake with a firearm is more dangerous. However WHY kill the snake to begin with? Not just that in retrospect, the firearm would be more humane if the person was to kill the snake by a gun shot to the head. I do not believe in killing it for any reason what so ever. The only thing needed here is to educate the average person about snakes and there benefits to both the world and humans alike. I do not think we should be emailing the person with the snare threats or hate mail. However treating him kindly is almost impossible when you think about what he is marketing. In my own opinion and probably everyone else’s is that he is contributing to the constant war between snake and man. He is influencing people to continue to hate snakes and is just making it easier for them to get rid of that little harmless “pest.”
Thanks, Jim

Old 12-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #33
ms_terese
Quote:
"SnakeSnare® is the least expensive engineered product in the industry for catching snakes. Perfect for neighborhoods, golf courses, and community locations where gunfire is impractical or illegal. SnakeSnare® can capture a snake for relocation but is designed for instant decapitation. Many neighborhoods feel that a good snake is a dead snake. Hunters use the SnakeSnare® to harvest valuable skins without damaging the snake by shotgun blast. The skin and meat are more saleable with instant decapitation."
No, he said that many neighborhoods believe that. However, more relevant is the statement that the SnakeSnare *CAN* capture a snake but is *DESIGNED* for instant decapitation. The statements about it becoming a standard piece of handling equipment for snakekeepers, like a hook or tongs, is ridiculous.

Old 12-19-2004, 12:09 PM   #34
Vince
does anyone know exactly how this trap works? what exactly makes the snakes go into the trap? how could it be used to replace tongs ? how could it be used to capture snakes alive?

Old 12-19-2004, 12:13 PM   #35
nicolai
huh???

You made all those statement about this guys products and now you are asking how it works. Shouldn't you have researched it before you made statement on its usefulness and such?

Nick Bonn

Old 12-19-2004, 12:15 PM   #36
nicolai
by the way..

its a pipe with a wire going up through the pipe which is pulled tite when pulled around the snakes neck instantly decapitating it. Does it still sound like a useful product to you??

Nick Bonn

Old 12-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #37
CTtrapper
Quote:
will not dispute the proper use of the proper trap or size!
But not all are used in the right method and i have not yet seen or heard of a state trapper relocate any of the above mentiond most are just killed in the traps if they are found alive in it Here! with the exception of the otter i don't belive they are native here, But I do not want to get in to what I have seen in person from the improper use of traps. and i am not saying that you are wrong in any way just that things are different here. and not all here are state trappers with proper training of the use of such traps nor am i saying that a person does not have the rite to protect his live stock. and it all falls back to the education issue.

Thank You Randall,
I just wanted to state facts about the foot trap as it is commonly missrepresented. State wildife agancys are the ones who commonly relocate.

Stated licensed trappers do dispatch animals they trap, thats true. That is a whole other disscussion though but sufice to say Trapping is a Management tool of a Renewable resource.
Mass. voters found out how quick a beaver population can grow and the damage it can do when they voted through public ballott Referendum to outlaw trapping. These policies have failed wherever they have been passed. Trappers are needed and as in anything else, there are good and bad people in every walk of life. Trappers are no different. Also, anything including a car,knife or chainsaw can be missused.
Your right, Education is the key

Vince, you bring up some good questions.
To me, there are times to set a trap for a snake that can't be found after a through search. Generally up to 2 hours in a house. I don't use rat traps but if the need arises say in a day care or nurseing home, A glue trap made specifically for snakes can be used. The thing about them is they need to be checked daily so any snake caught can be released . This is done by using vegtable oil carefully where the snake is on the glue. It breaks the bond. the snake can then be cleaned off and relocated. These traps have a glue line in a v pattern in them so it's not like a mouse or rat board where the whole surface is glue. I woulden't use them in a house if I didn't have to though. Another option is a minnow trap or similar trap with a one way opening. these are placed along walls. A gun is never ness. in my opinion to use on a snake. Just my .02

Old 12-19-2004, 12:59 PM   #38
Suncoast Herpetological
Vince

The only way this device could coneivably be used for relocation would be to control the amount of pressure used when tightening the noose. Since this would still put a sharp metal wire against the animals neck it would be ridiculously imprecise at best.

This device was designed to decapitate snakes and for no other reason plain and simple. While I agree that threatening Emails to the manufacturer are out of line, I am firmly behind inundating him with as many civilly worded negative Emails.

I personally forwarded a link to his website to PETA, the SPCA and the Humane Society the day this thread was started. Wouldn't it be a coup to get those three to work in the industy's favor for once?.

Old 12-19-2004, 01:05 PM   #39
CTtrapper
As others have already stated, there is no advantage with this product over tongs. And in that regard it isn't as good.
It is not a trap in any sense of the imagination.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:14 PM   #40
Python Dreams
Talking

First off I would like to say that I donot agree with this product or the killing of snakes due to lack of education or fear. But, I feel it is just as bad to send threats to anyone who is operating a legal business. If you have any problem with what he is doing then try to pass laws to stop it. Does not give you the right to become a Peta-esque terrorrist. Just shows you for a serious wackjob that should be locked up.
Nicolai,
What statements did Vince make about this guys product? He made some comments about how he views why people might use it, or have a need to remove snakes. Not everyone views snakes the same way we do. Do you allow feild mice or rats to live in your house? Do you allow ants or other pests or insects to roam your home because you happened to place your home in their environment? What animals can we kill because they are invading our properties? Personally I would happily walk over and pick up any snake that I came in contact with to remove it to a safer place, BUT... Some people fear snakes and some, due to religous stories, feel that they are downright evil. Do you know that quite a few people kill fish, bear, coyotes, deer, and all types of animals all just for fun. In fact their are companies that make fishing poles and hunting rifles strictly for the killing of animals. I don't mean to alert anyone, but I hope this doesnt lead to threatening emails to Remington or any of those comapnies...
Tom Baker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!