Male to female ratio question.... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-30-2004, 05:37 PM   #1
MattP
Male to female ratio question....

Hi,

I was just wondering if someone can tell me how many females are too many for one male?

Thanks

Old 04-30-2004, 05:50 PM   #2
riverjop
just don't ask the girls here!....they will all say one!!! dumb huh?

oh you mean geckos?

Old 04-30-2004, 05:52 PM   #3
MattP
lol....

yeah, sorry if that wasn't clear

Thanks

Old 04-30-2004, 07:22 PM   #4
Blazin
Most likely depends on the male!

I have seen another local breeder here in Texas have one male to like 20 females in a large vision cage setup. Not sure the male was able to fertilize all those females but the guy did get a ton of offspring from that one group. I have a few groups of 1.4 and one of 1.5 . I think thats probably pushing it really though because I have noticed a couple of female trempers in the 1.4 group have not yet layed. Thats not to say he isn't trying to mate with them. Its just that some females are easier than others. That being said if you have a few females that don't just give in he is more likely to go for the sure thing with the other females. If your worried about group breedings I would just regularly introduce the females to the males enclosure every few days and see what kind of results you get that way. I am going to take the females that have not done anything as of yet and pair them up in a nice cozy little enclosure thats just her and him. Hope this helps.

Old 05-01-2004, 02:46 AM   #5
MattP
Thanks Chad,

The reason I asked this question is because I have 10 females and 2 males. One male is really nice (King) and the other one is a pretty nice male too (probably $300.00 or $400.00). I think I'm going to do what you suggested. Maybe i can keep all of the females separate and introduce them one at a time every couple of days.

Thanks,

Matt

Old 05-01-2004, 06:19 AM   #6
KelliH
I keep most of mine in seperate enclosures, but I have bred my main male to 30+ females in one season.

Old 05-01-2004, 10:46 PM   #7
riverjop
Matt, there are other good reasons to keep them seperate!
for one you will be able to monitor who is bred with who, as well as when...just for good record keeping. You can also keep track of who's eating what and how much, who is laging and things like nutrient loading of each individual female during breeding season (pinky's, waxworms, silks....whatever)
Also you can also monitor who's sheding, who's sick etc.......
Over all I personally think it's much better for tracking of all your geckos, for everything, if your going to be precise about your breeding and general care of your colony. If you just like to have a few Geckos and want a "display case" than keep them all together.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!