Bad Guy RodentPro- Zoonotic disease warning - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:18 PM   #21
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpsnake View Post

The epidemiologist that I've been speaking to told me that she will talk to the CDC about people who may have purchased from shows. I think she may even post here- I told her that I had and gave her the website.
Could you please provide her name? This is a serious allegation against Rodent Pro, the more information as to history and validity, the better. I am not saying I doubt anything that has been offered here, but hard proof is always good.

I just spoke with Casey at Rodent Pro. He did not address the issue, he asked for my name and number and said he would pass my concerns along to the owner.
I replied that what I would like to have happen is the owner to come here on this thread and address our questions on this thread. I hope that will happen so to further help with scope and concrete answers.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:21 PM   #22
Sherry Howell
My concern is that this situation was only found in May. I feel certain it didn't just suddenlty start in May. When did it start? How long had it been going on before it was found. And did RP do something on their own to rectify the problem (I'm not talking about notifying customers, here. I'm talking about doing something about the diseased rodents) or did they finally address the problem when forced to by the city, county, state or federal government? Further, I want to know about any effects on reptiles. We had four questionable deaths 24 hours after all four ate some RP food. They were not sick, had never been sick and were housed in separate rooms. It was the only thing they had in common.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:24 PM   #23
Sherry Howell
Lucille, I also called RP when I first heard of the rumors over a month ago. I spoke with Kelly who was very friendly until I told her I had been hearing rumors and wanted to address them. She immediately told me she had a conference call but would call me right back. She never has called.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:35 PM   #24
Lucille
It is a plausible account, but like all BOI allegations, the more proof, the more plausible. I am not saying at all that this happened here, but anyone can say anything. I think it is reasonable to ask for some validation before totally nailing Rodent Pro to the wall.

I think it is reasonable to ask for some validation before many get worried and empty freezers of thousands of dollars woth of frozen rodents, and worry about their reptiles.
Again, I am not at all contesting validity, I have no horse in the race, but asking for more info is reasonable IMHO.

Old 07-31-2012, 05:36 PM   #25
SPJ
I just took a screenshot of their site. No mention of this. You would think with serious allegations like this against them and people calling, they would at least put something up on the site to dispel this accusation.
Attached Images

Old 07-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #26
rosebud945
Not sure if this means anything, but I haven't seen a rodentpro add on kingsnake today. I usually see them a few times a day. Did they pull their ads?

Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #27
HatRabbitSnakes
I really am glad you posted this, my last order was in december but what if the problem was still around at that point? I got sick a few times out of no where in january and it makes me worried... Also, I hope they do not supply a local place I have been getting my frozen from lately. They need to list all other rodent suppliers they supply as well. And the dates back to when it may have been possible that they shipped any and all infected mice and rats. I also have helped friends feed their snakes with rodents that may or may not have been from rodent pro....I am glad I got tired of paying their shipping....

Old 07-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #28
~Just Curious~
I have always had good customer service with them in the past, but I agree - the lack of warning is unacceptable. No matter how unlikely the risk is, I believe they still should've sent out a courtesy notice to all customers within that time period. I recall getting mass-emails from them about current deals, they could've sent an alert out that way.

My last order was assorted with mice, rats, quail, guinea pigs, and chicken chicks. That was in March and it's been eaten with no apparent effects on my snakes. I'm wondering whether that order was before the outbreak there, whether freezing killed it, or whether it just doesn't affect reptiles? Google hasn't turned up any connections between them, but I'll be asking my vet for his opinion anyways.

Personally I fought lymphoma two years ago, had no immune system there for a while, and I distinctly remember how paranoid my oncologists were about rodents. It really surprised me - despite all the harping I hear about salmonella, the snakes were okay under our roof so long as I didn't personally do the caring for them. Same with my dog, it was all fine with the docs. They only made a big fuss about the rats having to go! Guess they're good disease carriers.
I'm good now and have actually been to the doctor a few times since my RodentPro order, checked out fine. I'm not worried about myself, but rather others like Laura or expecting mothers who weren't informed.

It's really unfortunate that this happened and I'm sure they have a lot on their plate now, but I hope RodentPro steps up here with some good explanations.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:14 PM   #29
reticguy76
CDC. If they say it, it must be true.

Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't see anything stating these ALLEGATIONS are without a doubt 100% true. Pretty serious stuff against a well known company.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:20 PM   #30
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
CDC. If they say it, it must be true.

Unless I missed it somewhere, I don't see anything stating these ALLEGATIONS are without a doubt 100% true. Pretty serious stuff against a well known company.
The CDC hasn't said it here or in any kind of email posted here, the OP said they said something. The requested name of the epidemiologist has not been given.
I really think more is needed here. Of course either way, Rodent Pro might be wise to address the issue.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!