Predicted hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico - 10/10/2018 - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 10-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #21
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
I am hoping that it is not a killer 'cane both for your sake, and also because a few days later I am planning to move back to the Gulf area.
Lucille, really hope you have looked carefully at where you might go. Climate change believer or not, it certainly looks as though there will be more frequent and large storms in the near future... Stay well away from coastlines if you do return.

Old 10-11-2018, 06:49 PM   #22
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Lucille, really hope you have looked carefully at where you might go. Climate change believer or not, it certainly looks as though there will be more frequent and large storms in the near future... Stay well away from coastlines if you do return.
I hear you. Sometimes, it is almost funny how one's feelings about something changes, not because the thing itself has changed at all, but because other circumstances put their weight in the equation and make the choice relatively better. Last year after the flood and losing all that stuff I was really hating hurricanes.
Unfortunately as of several years ago I have had some progressive medical issues, slowly now losing my vision as well as my hearing. My son intends on being in Texas only for another year so being closer to him right now is a good choice. For all my ailments the grand baby loves to stay with me, and I can still responsibly take care of her (although she is verbal and extremely opinionated, I wonder where she got that from?) and that also gives my son a little time to have time to go out with his wife. So, all the way around moving back for the moment outweighs hurricanes. Whether I will leave Texas when he does, I do not know.

Old 10-11-2018, 11:20 PM   #23
WebSlave
Yeah, we are still alive. This is a good excuse to take a break from the internet for several days. Not much can be done without power and the Comcast cable anyway. And I sure as heck am not going to be doing this stuff on my cell phone! I would go cold turkey on the internet first.

So, over and out for a while.

Old 10-12-2018, 12:15 AM   #24
Helenthereef
Glad to hear you haven't been blown to Oz, Rich!

Lucille, I understand the importance of being near family, especially in the conditions you describe. Just make sure you have an upper storey to retreat to!

Best to all of you over there, hope your power is back soon, and you enjoy your enforced internet holiday!

Old 10-13-2018, 08:41 PM   #25
blueboost68
Glade to see everyone is safe.

Old 10-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #26
WebSlave
Still no power at the house.....

Old 10-14-2018, 01:05 PM   #27
bcr229
GoPro footage of Michael coming ashore; this is why you evacuate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM

Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM   #28
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
GoPro footage of Michael coming ashore; this is why you evacuate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3ofAJSqpLM
Wow. That is dramatic, educational and terrifying all at once. Really worth looking at.
Part of my business is dealing with development plans in coastal areas and I'm always trying to convince people not to build too close to the beach. This is a perfect argument why...

Glad to hear from you Rich, even if you are still in the dark...

Old 10-14-2018, 05:06 PM   #29
Lucille
Rich is your generator working at all?
Melinda that is some scary footage there.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:08 PM   #30
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
Rich is your generator working at all?
Melinda that is some scary footage there.
Yep, generator worked like a champ. Connie and I bailed out on Tuesday and headed over to the east coast of Florida. Just got back this afternoon, and power had just been restored this morning. Had a friend checking the place for us, and I told him that as long as the generator was running, then power was still out. So power was out for nearly 5 full days.

Just had some large branches at the top of a water oak tree (I think that is what it is) snap off and fall in front of the carport. Lots of debris everywhere shaken out of trees, of course. But no damage anywhere that we have found yet. So we were lucky.

I highly recommend evacuating when things like this happen. It's pretty stressful worrying about losing your house, but it would be a WHOLE LOT more stressful if you are still in it while thinking that might happen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!