Hand Sanitizers...Do They Really Work? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 01-30-2011, 06:36 PM   #11
KelliH
I don't think they are all that effective, and I think they make us feel better to have them at shows.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #12
The BoidSmith
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
The hand sanitizers are fairly effective at their intended purpose...but, just like disinfectants, most people combine unrealistic expectations with incorrect use.
a) the most effective hand sanitizers are over 60% alcohol.
b) effectiveness is greatly reduced with any soiling (just like with cages - clean first, then disinfect)
c) Technique is still important. Most people don't wash effectively (for antimicrobial reduction), and they don't use sanitizers effectively either. The process needs to involve a sufficient amount of sanitizer, and reasonably brisk rubbing of then hands...care needs to be taken to include ALL surfaces, ie between fingers, fingertips, and nails.

I'm sure I can dig up multiple studies that show a reduction of microbes with proper use of hand sanitizers...but it bears pointing out that there will always be the occasional cases that don't show improvement or show increased presence, and that some pathogens aren't likely to be significantly impacted with the small exposure time of "normal" hand cleaning.
Jerry,

You may want to share Harald's excellent reply. To put it in very simple terms: "soaps clean, sanitizers kill", the combination of both procedures provides for a better sanitation.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:58 PM   #13
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by The BoidSmith View Post
Jerry,

You may want to share Harald's excellent reply. To put it in very simple terms: "soaps clean, sanitizers kill", the combination of both procedures provides for a better sanitation.
Where did the research say "(Hand) Sanitizers Kill?" I read it as it stripped the oil from our skin.

Quote:
How do hand sanitizers work?

Hand sanitizers work by stripping away the outer layer of oil on the skin. This usually prevents bacteria present in the body from coming to the surface of the hand. However, these bacteria that are normally present in the body are generally not the kinds of bacteria that will make us sick. In a review of the research, Barbara Almanza, an associate professor at Purdue University who teaches safe sanitation practices to workers, came to an interesting conclusion. She notes that the research shows that hand sanitizers do not significantly reduce the number of bacteria on the hand and in some cases may potentially increase the amount of bacteria on the hand.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Hand cleaner tests on nonporous surfaces are nothing more than tests of the ingredients....you know me better than that, Deborah .
Oh, Harald...I was going by your statement here:
Quote:
I'm sure I can dig up multiple studies that show a reduction of microbes with proper use of hand sanitizers

Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 PM   #15
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH View Post
I don't think they are all that effective, and I think they make us feel better to have them at shows.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:10 PM   #16
The BoidSmith
Deb,

Hand sanitizers are mostly alcohol-based. Because of this reason they will in effect remove the oil from your skin (fat is soluble in alcohol) but at the same will kill in one minute nearly all bacteria and viruses by disrupting the cell membrane.

Best

Old 01-30-2011, 07:16 PM   #17
Lucille
Quote:

I'm sure I can dig up multiple studies that show a reduction of microbes with proper use of hand sanitizers....
There are other studies showing handwashing is more effective. I'm not making choices for anyone, but at least some people are showing enough concern that they are thinking about the consequences of going to shows and possibl handling various critters, and then returning home to their collections.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #18
RustyNuts
No doubt they serve to reduce the risk of transferring disease, etc., I just doubt that they are as effective as we are led to believe. I use hand sanitizer at home when going from cage to cage while feeding and/or cleaning, but I don't consider it a complete safeguard against anything.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
The BoidSmith
No, they can't to magic, the dirtier the hands are the less effective they will be. That's why Harald's response was right on the money, particularly his thrid point:

Quote:
c) Technique is still important. Most people don't wash effectively (for antimicrobial reduction), and they don't use sanitizers effectively either. The process needs to involve a sufficient amount of sanitizer, and reasonably brisk rubbing of then hands...care needs to be taken to include ALL surfaces, ie between fingers, fingertips, and nails.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:32 PM   #20
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNuts View Post
No doubt they serve to reduce the risk of transferring disease, etc., I just doubt that they are as effective as we are led to believe. I use hand sanitizer at home when going from cage to cage while feeding and/or cleaning, but I don't consider it a complete safeguard against anything.
(to the bolded) Exactly...the more people that are aware of this, the more they can guard themselves.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!