Vision (1756) Racks - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Consumer Reports

Notices

Consumer Reports Looking for, or want to leave feedback about a product? This is the place for that sort of info!

Old 11-14-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
hhmoore
LOL - the battle continues. I'm not sure why I still use the damn things (yes I do - they're here).
I have had a few issues with bad sheds, but it is rare. Usually, I just dump the water bowl (in the tub) or soak them once the eyes clear. Escapes are still an issue. Since the last comment, I have had a Savu python, a bullsnake, and another ball get out. At least they are slowing down.

Old 11-15-2007, 08:10 AM   #12
deborahbroadus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore
LOL - the battle continues. I'm not sure why I still use the damn things (yes I do - they're here).
I have had a few issues with bad sheds, but it is rare. Usually, I just dump the water bowl (in the tub) or soak them once the eyes clear. Escapes are still an issue. Since the last comment, I have had a Savu python, a bullsnake, and another ball get out. At least they are slowing down.
I give you PROPS for having that kind of patience.

I believe in progress!! with these things....I even started using the Aspen in an effort to keep up the humidity!! ..and this is after having racks and being able to use butcher paper...talk about "steps back." One more reason for getting rid of the crap was: I really dislike bad sheds and do not want them soaking in water that may be stained with urine or feces (not saying that is what you do) because I am gone a good part of the day and while I am gone they would be in that mess if they had taken a dump or whiz while the water was in there.

Time is an issue, rather the LACK of time is an issue..so I try to have environments that are as care-free as I can get them. (they never actually are..but I try!) (actually if someone could invent a small automatic vacuum the size of a paperweight..that could work similar to the automatic vaccuums that they are advertising that cleans your floor and carpet while you are gone..that WOULD be awesome (get cracking guys!)

I give you props...I "threw" them away..actually begged another breeder to come and get them so I could have room for more racks. The reason that I got them in the first place is because:

1. Lightweight (moving these reptilebasics, jj and boaphile are NO JOKE)
2. More snakes per rack
3. More space IN the rack without the additional tonnage (I planned to use them as my breeding spaces)

I was unable to use them because of the humidity issue..my snakes were too fat to get out...but I didn't use them long..I think 2 months before I gave up spraying everyday..checking humidity every day...loss of sleep..bad sheds... it wasn't good for my blood pressure.

Old 11-15-2007, 10:26 AM   #13
AncientDNA
Deb, It's too bad I didn't know. I would have driven down to baltimore...
I love these racks.
I only keep rosies so keeping humidity relatively low is what's important.
Harold, I've never had an escape...knock on wood.
My only real complaint is the lack of sufficient heat cable, but I found a very good deal a while back for several 39 footers on Ebay.
If you ever have more Vision racks(or Herpstat Pro's) to get rid of, I'll take 'em.

Old 11-15-2007, 03:13 PM   #14
deborahbroadus
In my search for the PERFECT environment, I have had some bad buys!

I'll keep you in mind the next time I have a bad buy. I just donated my two beanfarm 4 foot cages, but kept the platform (I missed the auction, but gave them the next day) to the Chantilly Show because they didn't keep humidity like I needed. (after having them for a while the doors warped)

Old 11-15-2007, 05:12 PM   #15
hhmoore
Quote:
figured I should clarify - no snakes were actually LOST as a result of these escapes. The longest MIA (due to an escape from Vision) award goes to a BP that evaded me for 5 days despite (at least) daily searches. I am still not sure where the heck she could have been, because I turned that room upside down and shook it every time.

Old 11-15-2007, 07:48 PM   #16
deborahbroadus
Lucky you. In this old farmhouse..if a snake got out, (2 escapes in 4 years when I was using tanks) I would be very lucky to find it...so far I have found them within an hour or more. I think I posted the story somewhere on Bob Clark, and again on Reptileforums..it was entertaining reading. lol

p.s you do know that the sight is the first thing to go?

Old 12-24-2007, 03:53 PM   #17
hhmoore
GRRRRR
A few more escapes from the Vision racks. The most recent (today) being a young woma. Took me a half hour to find her...she was in a different room (guess it is time to put that sweep on the door, lol)

Have I mentioned recently that I really don't like these racks? I've been having many more shed issues in them, too(guess I haven't been consistent about dumping the waterbowls ). I hate to say it, but I think it might be time to start rack shopping again.

Old 12-24-2007, 05:19 PM   #18
Claudius
Quote:
GRRRRR
A few more escapes from the Vision racks. The most recent (today) being a young woma. Took me a half hour to find her...she was in a different room (guess it is time to put that sweep on the door, lol)

Have I mentioned recently that I really don't like these racks? I've been having many more shed issues in them, too(guess I haven't been consistent about dumping the waterbowls ). I hate to say it, but I think it might be time to start rack shopping again.
You mentioned taking your saw and cutting in a channel for heat tape. How did that go, any improvement?

Old 12-24-2007, 05:31 PM   #19
hhmoore
I didn't bother...I have just adjusted the animals housed to deal with the available heat. The racks are still in a warm room, and I have some species that can deal with little to no supplemental heat in there. The issue is with the fact that the snakes are able to brace themselves against the top (?) and push the tubs out enough to escape.
I've lost track of the number at this point - it has to be pretty close to 20 "escapes" in about a year. I've also got 2 AP racks in use, plus the giant melamines, and I don't have these problems with them (as long as I don't do anything stupid, lol).

Old 09-22-2008, 04:46 PM   #20
travisc
I was considering selling off all my melamine racks and switching over to two Vision 1756 models. After reading this, I am a bit shy about doing so. I have seen the Vision racks at many reptile shows and yes, upon first inspection, they appear flimsy.

I keep a large colony of Children's & Spotted pythons and wondering if anyone else has any opinions about this particular rack. Humidity wouldn't be an issue but the frequent escapes have me a little concerned. Any other people out there who have this rack?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!