Ackie or Timor Monitor??? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-13-2012, 01:13 PM   #11
azeppelinfan
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman View Post
It would be better to use 3-4 40W-60W flood lamps placed near each other than to use one 160W bulb. You'll still get the 140+ temperatures that you need but the spot will be larger, allowing the entire group of monitors to bask at the same time without having to dogpile in an attempt to steal heat from one-another.
I second that....

Here are a couple links with some Ackie info....

http://www.herpcenter.com/reptile-ca...ckie-monitors/

http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...l#post10015749

www.reptileforums.net has some experienced Ackie owners who frequent the site.

Old 08-14-2012, 03:41 AM   #12
mialma09
Ok thank you for those links I was able to print them out for study material later. but ya i had read about that in a different forum to have that kind of ratio so the basking spot is larger for them. But ya I will probably put two more ceramic fixtures in a sort of triangle shape and use tht when I do get my ackies.

Old 08-14-2012, 04:20 PM   #13
azeppelinfan
No problem. I would love to see some pics of your enclosure....and of course the animals when you get them!

Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #14
mialma09
ya for sure i can put up the pics of my enclosure with my black throat in there and then when i get my ackies in a little bit ill post those as well

Old 08-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #15
azeppelinfan
Never mind seeing a 5 ft. monitor!

Old 08-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
mialma09
Ok then I'll put picks up way later then.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:21 PM   #17
hadenglock
yeah if you have a large cage like that i would use a zoomed powersun with halogen bulbs to help heat it up but still get the uv benefits

Old 08-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #18
mialma09
Yeah thats what I plan on doing. I just cranked up the thermostat a little bit and just the 150W red bulb I got with my blackthroat hit 145F for the basking site and it covered about a 2 foot circular radius so I am not worried about the heat issue. I just keep getting responses about the substrate depth issue and I already had the glass sliding doors custom cut to fit my specific measurements. So what i figured I would do is just get there to be around the 10 inches in the front of the cage and put a lot more towards the back and make it like 16in for them but we will see.

Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #19
hadenglock
The substrate issue has never really been a problem for me when it comes to monitors. Sure it would be great to have 2+ feet of substrate for your monitor to burrow, but if you incorporate a lot of tight fitting intricate hiding places, i think he'll be fine. I use retes stacks for my ackies monitor and he spends most of his time crawling up and down them all day, it also helps with thermoregulation when you stack them under the basking area.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:41 PM   #20
mialma09
Right on man that sounds like a good idea thanx. And yeah i didn't think it was going to be much of an issue because i'm going to deck the cage out with a lot of fake plants and hide holes across the cage.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!