Hopper Mice suddenly dead....... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Diggy415
Hopper Mice suddenly dead.......

I have had this happen before but this time some were still alive and they were canatonic, drunken state falling over etc, i had 12 and they were all fine last night and this morning this happenend, they have been all frozen now, but anyone else had this happen to them and figure out why? I've raised many a litters before them well weaned, fed oats, dog and cat food and human food of lettuce, apples carrots etc, im confused, what would be toxic to them that maybe im missing.?

Old 12-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #2
Jake The Snake
Sounds like megacolon to me. I had a few rats come down with it and they were basically doing flips, laying on their sides, rolling around like a drunk step child, and walking sideways. Not sure if it occurs in mice but thats my only thought

Old 12-12-2007, 06:18 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
depends~
The symptoms you describe could be megacolon~ usually they will look bloated as well. This often genetic~ I had it in my curly hair mice line in CA~ most~ but not all~ the curlies would just suddenly swell up and die as juvies

It also sounds like water depravation~ check the water spigot and make sure it was working~ they would be hump backed in that case

It also could be food deprivation~ at that age they need a lot of nutrients~ if conditions and ages are just right they could begin to wither and die after being without food for just a few hours~ they will generally feel cold to the touch in that case. I actually don't know if it would be "starvation" or if it has to do with just not having enough colories/fat/protien/sugar (something?) to deal with current conditions because I have had good fat mice succumb to this after only a few hours if they were juvies and the weather was either particularly hot or cold.

Old 12-12-2007, 07:12 PM   #4
Diggy415
the water was fine and i fed them every other day but alot to last that day, some were scrawny also and boney, none were bloted what so ever, it depresses me, luckly i have 3 more moms that popped though. will see how this goes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!