How available are Axanthic Conda Hogs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #1
deviljho
How available are Axanthic Conda Hogs?

I was browsing morphs for Hogs and one in particular struck me. Axanthic Condas are absolute gorgeous snakes and i'd love to breed them. However i'm on a budget and can't get any snakes till next year, so i'm trying to price everything out and such. Are there any Axanthic Conda breeders I should be aware of, and I have no idea how much one would cost... Can anybody help me out? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-07-2016, 08:45 PM   #2
deviljho
Breeding tips

EDIT: Axanthicondas are extremely pricey from my research (Like $2200 per female), so I've decided I'm going to go with a Male Axanthic and a Female Anaconda HET Axanthic, which from my research should total around $450 for the two snakes. Now my question lies in breeding them, I know from a calculator that my results should be:

25% Anaconda Het Axanthic
25% Axanthic
25% Axanthiconda
25% Normal Het Axanthic

Do these numbers tend to be accurate or is it more of a hat draw then that? I'm very new to breeding so any help is appreciated.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #3
RedDevil
Odds can always go either way. I once bred two females to a conda het albino - one normal het albino, and the other a normal. Out of the four clutches, totaling 31 eggs, I only hatched 2 normals - everything else was albino, conda, or albino conda. I've also seen people hatch dozens of eggs only to get a single morph.

As far as your pair decision, I'd personally go with a conda het axanthic male, and use axanthic or het axanthic females. You could probably pick up a few het females pretty cheap, and get a more eggs for a comparable price.

Old 08-08-2016, 12:20 AM   #4
deviljho
I had never considered buying two het females with one conda het axanthic male, and I feel quite foolish for not. It does seem like the much better choice for producing not only the morph i look for but more (hopefully) of it. Thank you very much! Do Female hogs breed multiple times a year? You mentioned 3 snakes and 4 clutches, so I am assuming they do. Sorry if i sound inexperienced, because i am quite inexperienced hahaha

Old 08-08-2016, 12:22 AM   #5
RedDevil
No problem at all. They'll usually double clutch, so the story above was 2 clutches from each female.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:15 PM   #6
deviljho
Alright I'll keep that in mind. Is there any particular timeframe in order to get a double clutch or can it just happen whenever?

Old 08-09-2016, 03:06 AM   #7
RedDevil
They've always just naturally done it for me, so I couldn't advise whether or not there's a trick to it.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:10 PM   #8
deviljho
huh, interesting. I thought most snakes double clutch only if you time it right. Thanks for the tips!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!