Hurricane Harvey - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 08-30-2017, 08:35 AM   #41
Lucille
There is sunshine outside
Thank you everyone for listening as I went through all this. I've had so much nice help from different people. Yesterday an acquaintance came by in a kayak, he retrieved my trash can which had floated a block away. My deep freeze was making strange noises after sitting in the water, he pulled the plug because I had been apprehensive about standing in water and grabbing a plug.

I'm spending the day going through all the soaked boxes and throwing away stuff that was ruined.
I am so thankful that I am OK, my family in Houston is OK, and the critters are OK. So many people have lost everything- lives, houses, cars.

I will be moving away from the coast in a few weeks and pray never to have to deal with another hurricane, although there are those who say that climate change will spawn more frequent adverse weather events in general.

Old 08-30-2017, 04:36 PM   #42
Helenthereef
So glad to hear from you, hope the sun continues and more dries out and can be saved than you expected.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:18 PM   #43
WebSlave
Glad to hear you are OK, Lucille. Did you get any rain out that way?

Old 09-04-2017, 08:15 PM   #44
Lucille
My sons came over today. We spent a solid 7 hours bagging up ruined soaked stuff for trash pickup.
There are people driving around checking out people's trash for items they might want or might could sell. I don't mind as long as they don't leave a mess.
But I decided to cut the cords off of the numerous electric things I threw away- a mini fridge, pressure washer, heaters, lamps, my beautiful Kitchen Aid mixer etc. so that an innocent person doesn't get sold something from one of the trash harvesters that might cause harm from an electric malfunction.

Im thinking that used car lots and Ebay will have a lot of flood damaged merchandise soon, with the sellers not necessarily communicating that the item was under water for two days.

Old 09-07-2017, 02:44 PM   #45
JColt
Glad to hear your fine Lucille!

Old 09-07-2017, 02:53 PM   #46
DLenaRuth999s
Hey, Lucille, I'm so glad you're all okay! (Mixmaster...darn)
I hope you can recoup some things. Are the insurance adjusters being helpful?

Old 09-07-2017, 05:42 PM   #47
Lucille
Thank you for your kind thoughts, everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DLenaRuth999s View Post
Are the insurance adjusters being helpful?
No insurance.
Only one neighbor had flood insurance, it has not flooded here for a very long time even during past hurricanes so most people did not bother with it.
When I'm all moved and settled at my new place, I'm going to look into a new Kitchenaid. I probably shouldn't make it any easier to bake all sorts of fattening cookies and cakes, but already my grand daughter looks around when she gets here because she knows Grandma has made a little home made treat for her.
Dad keeps an eagle eye out that the treat is small and eats a few morsels himself, so everyone is happy.
Unlike the olden days they even sell them in colors, I'm going to get one in aqua sky, so it is more like a home decorating expense, right?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:23 PM   #48
DLenaRuth999s
I'm going to get one in aqua sky, so it is more like a home decorating expense

Lucille, that's definitely the way to look at things. Since you don't have insurance for floods, are any government monies available because you're in a disaster zone?

Old 09-07-2017, 07:42 PM   #49
Lucille
I suspect the gummint is not going to buy me an aqua Kitchen Aid mixer
Seriously, I still have half of my stuff and I'm alive. While I might put myself on a FEMA list I don't expect anything more than the income tax disaster deduction, I might look at that next year at tax time.
Today I donated some items to a lady who is helping a bunch of pets whose owners had their homes destroyed in the flood. The flooding is gone but there is still a lot of misery out there.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!