cross breeding geckos - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-19-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
ericfire
cross breeding geckos

just a question
i have a gargoyle in with two crested and they look to be mating
is it possible for them to cross breed
i am just keeping them as pets and didnt really want to breed ,i just didntknow if they could
can anyone help

Old 04-19-2007, 03:56 PM   #2
Sgvreptiles
Yes,there has been rumors of R.ciliatusX R.auriculatus breeding.Ide love to see some pics of them if you do sucsessfuly breed them
Thanks,
Jeff

Old 04-19-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Playnwifsnot
am I the only person who see's this as a wrong thing? I know you are not doing this intentional, but in the wild this is not something that would occure. Personally if it was me and your female laid, I wouldnt allow the eggs to hatch.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:22 PM   #4
JoshuaTrana
Ok I know a lot of people dont like corss breeding but I see nothing wrong with it, if we find out that the eggs are always infertile or they keep being perfectly safe (dont keep hatching deformed hatchlings, which cant happen in any case). You know how they get the best plants and seeds, the cross breed to get the best specimen.

Old 04-20-2007, 03:17 PM   #5
ericfire
thanks for the input
i wasnt planning on breeding ,i just wanted to know if it could happen
if it does happen i will post them though
im pretty neutral on the cross breeding thing ,i could care less either way ,i just like good looking healthy animals
thanks again
Eric

Old 04-20-2007, 05:25 PM   #6
ColleenT
i am also against cross-breeding.

Old 04-20-2007, 05:27 PM   #7
JoshuaTrana
Im not really for or against it. TO each their own. If I saw a cross breed I really liked I would get it. But you guys do realize that leopard geckos were corss bred a lot with other subspecies.

Old 04-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #8
Biscuit71
I am curious why it is people are opposed to crossbreeding. Personally, I see no real need for it, as there are nice specimens on both side of the isle, but I don't really care if someone else does is. Each to his/her own. Are people against it because they think sometime down the road it will fall upon them to repopulate the wild? If that's the case, rest assured, it isn't going to happen. If it is because you don't really see a need for it, then why be opposed? I mean.... if your for it, or against it, isn't it really the decision of whoever is doing the breeding? Crossbreeding happens all the time in the wild... maybe not to the extent that it could be possible in captivity, and sure, the animals being crossed may never get a chance to even see eachother in the wild, but if it CAN happen, is it REALLY that bad? Is one or two instances of crossing really going to be the downfall of a species? I'm thinking no....

Old 04-20-2007, 10:10 PM   #9
JoshuaTrana
Yeah people are against this but so many breeders inbreed leos? And I have seen pictures of deformed hatchling. Maybe it was taken to far?

Old 04-20-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
sschind
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaTrana
But you guys do realize that leopard geckos were corss bred a lot with other subspecies.
For example???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!