Did you know you can get Emu eggs in the mail?!? LOL! - Page 7 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:11 PM   #61
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Actually Nora~ they grow even faster than you think. According to the books I've been reading heritage breeds are ready for "freezer camp" at around 12 weeks while the Cornish Cross is camp ready at just 7 or 8 weeks. The Cornish Cross are what we see in the grocery stores~ they were developed JUST to be meat chickens......I've seen them called "Frankenstien chickens" and "race car chickens".

I may get some cornish cross at some point~ but I'm still working on having the space to care for my heritage birds~ once I have my act together though.....maybe I'll try a race car chicken. I can't beleive how fast "normal" chickens grow~ can you imagine from hatch to the freezer size in 7 weeks! I gotta see that sometime!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #62
nora
i remember my dad mentioning something about 12 weeks.. but i couldnt remember what it was cuz i wasnt payin attention to what he was talking about as usual lol but know we butchered the chickens right at 20 weeks and they were perfect.

I hope we get more this spring, the hand raised chicken is definately 20 times better than the store bought meat. talk about freshness.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:13 AM   #63
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
There is no doubt in my mind now. The emu egg moves. My sister saw it moving last night. This morning you can hold the egg and FEEL it moving. Day 48..........
Either it's alive
OR
It's gone rotten and is full of gas getting ready to expload like a small bomb..........apparently poultry eggs can do that.........I think I'll refrain from picking it up again just in case...........

what am I going to do if it hatches?
I never really thought it was alive until it moved.......and now I'm just not sure which to hope for......a baby emu or a giant green exploding egg...........

Old 02-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #64
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
what am I going to do if it hatches?
I never really thought it was alive until it moved.......and now I'm just not sure which to hope for......a baby emu or a giant green exploding egg...........

Tell the boys to add an extension on to that chicken coop! EMU sized

i cant WAIT!!!!! Emu! Emu! Emu!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:05 PM   #65
nora
lol i dont think you'd want an exploding egg on your hands... the smell is god aweful and is worse than skunk spray, snake poo, regurge, and a dead rotting animal carcass put together...IMHO.

Old 02-06-2008, 05:53 PM   #66
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
SOMETHING is trying to get out of that emu egg
What do you want to bet it's an emu?

Feb 6, 2008~ 4:40pm

Old 02-06-2008, 06:19 PM   #67
Wilomn
Well, maybe it's a misplaced platypus.

Sounds like a band, Misplaced Platypus.

Wonder what kind of sound they'd have?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:20 PM   #68
texasnewbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
SOMETHING is trying to get out of that emu egg
What do you want to bet it's an emu?

Feb 6, 2008~ 4:40pm
You may have to build a bigger hen house.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:21 PM   #69
Mooing Tricycle
whatre you gonna name it Cheryl!? you HAVE to name it!

Old 02-06-2008, 06:49 PM   #70
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
If I name it~ eating it will be more difficult later.
Unless I name it "turkey" and we have it for Thanksgiving.
Will says we should name it "Dog" and teach it to be a livestock gaurdian for the chickens......but I think that will cause even more trouble if we wind up eating "dog" for Christmas Dinner next year..................

But~ it's still not out of that egg........
no point in counting my emu before they are hatched

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!