The Crocodile Hunter Steve Irwin is a Moron! - Page 6 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 01-04-2004, 11:11 PM   #51
brucestephenson
Now that WAS funny!

Old 01-04-2004, 11:25 PM   #52
Bobby Douglass
Quote:
Don't know the origin but it seems appropriate.
I don't think it's appropriate at all unless you're kinda sick in the head.

Old 01-05-2004, 10:45 AM   #53
COBRAMAN
"I heard that Bill Haas closed The Miami Serpentarium after this happened:

Haas had the largest American Crocodile in captivity, a real monster, in a nice landscaped sunken enclosure surrounded by a six foot high fence. A father held up his toddler up and over the fence so the child could see better. The toddler slipped out of the father's hands directly into the huge crocodile's jaws and was eaten immediately in front of an audience.

I was told this by some friends, but could never verify the truthfulness of the story. Can any of you older hands comment on this?"

Bruce, That is not what happened. I worked for Mr. Haast, and am very familiar with what happened. The father of a young somewhat retarted child placed his son on the wall of the croc pit and allowed the child to throw tangerines into the pit. The father did not have his hands on the child, and was distracted by something going on in the serpentarium. The child fell into the pit and landed in the same area that Bill throws the food for the croc, and of course the croc thought the child was food and got the child. Bill, and the child's father jumped in and attempted to save the child, but were unable. BILL DID NOT SHOOT THE CROC AT THIS TIME. After Mr. Haast was cleared by law enforcement, he chose to distroy the croc ONLY because of the attention the croc was getting at the serpentarium after the incident. I told Bill that I could relate, as I have been offered excessively high prices for venomous snakes that have bitten and killed people ( for ezample the Suphan Cobra that killed Les Massangil in 1995). Anyway, Bruce and Bud, That is in fact the readers digest version of that incident.
Blessings
Ray Hunter

Old 01-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #54
Paul Huang
What bothers me the most is what many of the others have stated: he endangered the life of his child. If it was his own life or those of trained professionals, that's his choice to make. The problem is that he was making a poor choice for his child who didn't make the choice to go feed the croc. Even if they child wanted to do it and expressed it, you have to look out for them. As a parent, you make decisions based on what's best for your child. Not based on what makes him/her or yourself happy.

Regardless of what people say, it is a publicity stunt. And you really never know how people you don't know are going to react to things you do so why do it in front of the public?

Want more examples of questionable behavior/comments from these two? Try this article (with some quotes below): http://www.theadvertiser.news.com.au...%5E911,00.html

Bindi was told by her parents to enter a new enclosure, which adjoins a crocodile pen, and splash around to encourage the reptiles to swim out.

Mum Terri then said: "Now flail around and look helpless, that's the girl, good girl.

"The problem is if the crocodile comes in too quickly, then I have to buy new floaties because they always pop. That's my girl Bindi Irwin, the other white meat."

My Comments: Yes I know she's just joking but saying that stuff in front of the public? I wouldn't even dare...

Bindi was then left alone in the water as three elephants were led into the enclosure.

The elephants, which are new to the zoo, stamped and trumpeted a metre from Bindi, who lay in shallow water directly in front of them.

My Comments: ANYBODY in the zoo world will tell you that elephants are some of the most DANGEROUS animals to work with because of their size. That's why almost all zoos that are working with elephants in a free contact system are switching to a protected contact system. Add the fact that these are new elephants in a new surrounding... you just don't take those kinds of chances.

Steve Irwin is an amazing reptile handler. He knows what he is doing and I wish I had his abilities. But once you have kids, you have to change your life because their well being and safety are the number 1 priorities. These two incidents just show poor judgement. He may be sorry for now all the negative attention this thing has gotten him but it is apparent he didn't learn his lesson (the above quotes come from something they did the very next day). He should really be happy... because nothing tragic happened when it could have.

Old 01-05-2004, 12:06 PM   #55
Mustangrde1
I have thought about what his actions have done and after cooling down i formed a letter and sent it to animal planet and discovery channel. I believe if enough people do this it may show Steve that what he is doing is not accepted or acceptable.

if you feel the same i incourage you to write them also or just copy and paste the below if you feel it fits.

To whom it may concern with the Animal Planet and Discovery channels.

In regard to what has occurred regarding Stephen Irwin AKA" The Crocodile Hunter" and his actions with his Infant son. As a keeper of dangerous reptiles myself and as a person who has worked on a limited bases with Crocodilians I find Mr. Irwin's actions Dangerous and Irresponsible.
I feel that I must bring to light that he placed his child in harms way for a publicity stunt to increase profit. At 1 month of age He the infant is by no means a qualified handler of these animals and as it is required in his own country to be permitted Mr. Irwin broke the laws by bringing the child in to the paddock.

His action also affect on the reptile community in a whole as it gives a very bad view on the millions of responsible reptile owners that live in our communities. Do in large part to his actions many people that are not familiar with reptiles or their care and handling see us as person who go out to play with dangerous animals for thrills. This is very untrue as many keepers are highly educated persons that have spent many years learning how to properly care for the reptiles in their charge.

I do believe his actions also reflect upon your business as it appears you condone such actions by continuing to allow him to handle many dangerous reptiles in a manner that is unsafe and dangerous. The ratings you may receive from his actions are not worth it if one person dies from mimicking his actions and receives a venomous bite or is bitten by an alligator. The bad Press that would be generated from such an incident would reflect badly upon your programming and the reptile hobbyist, keepers, sellers.

When allowing him to handle venomous reptiles without proper handling equipment it sends a message to many people that by using your bare hands is the way to handle these creatures. When in fact there are many specialized tools designed for the safe manipulation of these reptiles that place the handler in little or no harm if used correctly. I site other persons you have on your programming such as Jeff Corwin or Mark O'Shea who both use the proper handling equipment.

I believe it is your responsibility to FORCE Mr. Irwin to now use proper handling tools while under your employ, and to refrain from actions that may harm your business or other persons business's. His actions are and do reflect upon your programming and do reflect upon millions of other law abiding and responsible persons.

I appreciate your time in reading this.

Sincerely,
Scott Bice

Old 01-05-2004, 12:18 PM   #56
brucestephenson
Thank you Ray! And great letter Scott!

Old 01-05-2004, 03:37 PM   #57
salito718
OMFG

This has hit a new level of "overboard"

the world is filled with what IF's

guess what, the what if didn't manifest itself, so just give it a rest......

damn its so ridiculous......its this type of "protect us from ourselves" mentality that has this country all screwed up...

well you know what guys. this did not happen HERE in the US. it happened in AUSTRALIA so hopefully people there are not as occupied with other peoples bussiness as we are here......

flame away, don't really care.....like i said before some people really need to mind their bussiness

Old 01-05-2004, 03:52 PM   #58
Darin Chappell
Al,

Do you find it at all ironic that you are telling us to mind our own business on this? I mean, how exactly were YOU damaged by this thread? If not at all, as I suspect, then should you not take your own advice and not post here hypocritically? Just a thought ...

However, I do agree with one thing you mentioned. We should not have laws to protect us from ourselves.

Actions taken to protect children from irresponsible parents willing to use them at incredibly young ages as props during an admittedly hazzardous publicity stunt, while being in violation of Australian law . . . well, that seems to be a whole different thing, to me.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:35 PM   #59
snakegetters
Yes, I do think the humor was appopriate as well as funny.

Mr. Irwin entertains the public by doing remarkably stupid and gratuitous things with dangerous reptiles, things that are well outside what zoological professionals around the world recognize as being normal safety protocols. It should not seem too remarkable when his deliberately outrageous behavior does indeed entertain people.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:00 AM   #60
brucestephenson
YOU ARE ALL NOT GOING TO BELIEVE THIS HIT!!!!

Larry King's big CNN show's topic tonight is going to be Steve the Narc featuring Jack Hannah! Tuesday night, January 6, 2004!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!