Shipping to New Mexico - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
gnkreptiles
Question Shipping to New Mexico

Has anyone ever shipped or had any problems shipping to New Mexico?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Tim Cole
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnkreptiles View Post
Has anyone ever shipped or had any problems shipping to New Mexico?
Be careful dealing with anyone in New Mexico. New Mexico residents/businesses are REQUIRED to purchase an import permit when bringing in ANY animals into the state.

I would ask them for their permit number.

Venomous snakes brought in are required to be documented venomoid.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Sithis
I dont think we need a permit here in NM Look Here

http://www.dhs3.com/looserooexotics/venlaws.html

Old 03-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithis View Post
I dont think we need a permit here in NM Look Here

http://www.dhs3.com/looserooexotics/venlaws.html
That's out of date. Currently, to bring venomous snakes into New Mexico they are required to be documented venomoids. To bring ANY kind of animal into New Mexico an import permit is required.

Why don't you contact Fish & Game to verify this yourself?

I know this for a FACT since I was involved with a seizure a 2 years ago in Deming, NM.

As a responsible venomous keeper/seller I keep up with state laws to avoid legal issues.

Old 03-17-2010, 03:46 PM   #5
gnkreptiles
Thanks

I appreciate the info and will be beware in the future. Fortunately this particular deal fell through due to these circumstances.

Old 03-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #6
Tim Cole
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnkreptiles View Post
I appreciate the info and will be beware in the future. Fortunately this particular deal fell through due to these circumstances.
Since State Laws are rapidly changing, I call them beforehand to make sure of what's current and take names! An e-mail is even better since that gives you something in writing.

I'm glad you were spared a possible issue.

Old 03-18-2010, 04:26 PM   #7
Sithis
Sorry for the misinformation. I really didn't know. I thought it was still as it was there. I will actually do some research in the future. I was just going off of what I knew So now I have to get a license for my C.Atrox

Old 04-06-2010, 02:47 AM   #8
psilocybe
I know this thread is a bit old, but since I'm a NM resident, I figured I'd throw in what I know.

NM's animal laws SUCK, plain and simple. In some ways, they are lenient to keepers (there are no state laws regarding owning native or exotic venomous, with a major caveat, read on), but in other ways, they are so ass backwards it's hardly believable.

Tim is right in that, by the letter of the law, EVERY animal imported into New Mexico, whether it is a native species or not, MUST have a $25 permit accompanying it (the permit has to be applied for by the purchaser prior to importation). Theoretically, this asinine law applies even to crickets purchased over the internet. Now...the question is, just how is this law enforced? Honestly, I don't know. But I'll tell you what I do know.

Technically, almost any animal purchased WITHIN the state of NM is legal (with the exception of crocodilians, lions, tigers, bears, etc., and state protected species, but all non-protected snake species and most other reptiles are completely legal, hot or not). The catch is, you must be able to provide proof (in the form of a sales receipt, breeder documentation, etc.) that the animal ORIGINATED in NM.

Here's the problem with enforcement of the law: Pet stores that sell animals (including mammals, etc.) NEVER mention this to customers. Do you think your average Joe Schmoe who walks into a Petco and buys a ball python for $50 is going to keep that receipt forever, incase NM G&F knocks on his door one day and wants to see documentation? Of course not...the receipt goes in the trash on his way out the door, or at best, after the live animal guarantee runs out.

I think it's fairly safe to say that the vast majority of non-domestic animals kept in the state of NM are being kept illegally, at least by the letter of that stupid law. I can't think of anyone here, whether they keep reptiles or chinchillas, that can provide definitive proof that their animal(s) originated in New Mexico, and that goes for all the pet store purchases that occur daily in this state.

NM F&W realize this, but they fail to do anything to amend the law (such as suggest an amendment in the next legislative session). There are reportedly some diligent herpers here (Bob Ashley) who have been working for quite some time on changing some of these laws in our favor, but the last time I checked (less than a week ago), nothing had changed.

Where NM DOES apparently enforce this (or at least makes a position about it) is with venomous reptiles. Unfortunately, even there, they enforce the law in a manner that is NOT how the law is written.

As written, the law states that ALL venomous snakes (Helodermids are not allowed in NM) IMPORTED into the state of New Mexico must be vet-certified venomoids. The fact that my state even promotes such a practice is embarrassing to me, my personal stance is that I'd rather NOT own venomous than own venomoids. But I digress. The ridiculousness of this law is readily apparent, in several ways. For one, I can order a pair of venomoid black mambas off the internet, legally import them (with a permit of course), and then go right around and breed fully intact, venomous baby black mambas, which would be perfectly legal as they are because they ORIGINATED in the state of NM. Make sense to you?

In addition...I can go and drive 15 minutes from my apartment and capture and legally keep an atrox, viridis, or other native rattlesnake species, and legally keep them INTACT, fully venomous, but if I want an atrox, viridis, or molossus from TEXAS, it has to be a vet-certified venomoid. The ridiculousness of this law is astounding, because it doesn't make any sense, PERIOD.

However, the way the law is enforced unfairly targets venomous keepers, because it goes beyond the scope of the way the law is written. I have it on good word (though I have not experienced this personally), that Game and Fish considers ANY non-native venomous reptile to be illegal, regardless of origin (meaning even if it were bred in the state). Proving origin to them is virtually impossible, because unless G & F are actually sitting there watching black mamba babies hatch from the egg (I suppose one could videotape it, but then they'd just argue it could have been taped anywhere), one can't conclusively PROVE where an animal was born. It's essentially a breeders word against the state. They have effectively banned exotic venomous in this state WITHOUT a law to back it up. Idiocy, I tell you.

Sithis...I don't think you need a permit for your atrox. It is a native species, and Game and Fish can't tell the difference between a TX atrox and a NM one. For all intensive purposes, native venomous are considered legal. I'm not advocating illegally importing venomous species (or even legally importing them, since you'd have to have them hacked first), but if your atrox is already in the state, it's native by my book.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:52 AM   #9
psilocybe
As an addition to my previous post, I WOULD however make sure that your county and municipality allow for venomous species to be kept. Some counties do, but have municipalities within them that don't.

Old 04-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #10
psilocybe
And finally, being that I have done extensive research into NM's exotic animal laws, here are some useful links (I keep these bookmarked):

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/conservation/documents/Director's%20List%208_17_09.pdf This link is the current (2010) list of species that may be LEGALLY collected in the state of NM for NON-COMMERCIAL purposes, with bag limits for each species.

http://www.nmcpr.state.nm.us/nmac/pa...9.035.0007.htm Written law as it pertains to importation of non-domestic wildlife. I've selected the pertinent portion below:

Quote:
19.35.7.13 IMPORTATION OF NON-GAME WILDLIFE: Any applicant requesting an import permit for non-game wildlife must submit the following information with the application:
A. A containment or confinement plan indicating where and how the species will be maintained;
B. A certificate from an accredited veterinarian that each animal and/or rearing facility has been inspected and is in good general health, disease free and that each animal or rearing facility tests disease free for any specific disease listed on the application and following the testing procedures provided with the application;
C. Proof from the pertinent County and City where the animal will reside that possession or release of the animal is allowed;
D. Copies of USDA or United States Fish and Wildlife Service exhibitor or breeder permits if required;
E. Certification from an accredited veterinarian that any venomous reptile has been de-venomized.
[19.35.7.13 NMAC - N, 3-31-00; A, 05-15-02]
Link to importation application for an exotic animal.

Hope these help any NM residents!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!