Gold Fever - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Gold Fever

One of my co-workers goes gold panning a few times a year. I'd always wanted to try it, so he set up a trip this past weekend and a group of us went up to Roaring Camp Mining Co in Pine Grove for some camping and treasure hunting good times.
http://roaringcampgold.com/

First some scenic shots of the camp, it's an old 49ers gold camp from the 1800's.

They also have some good trout fishing in those rivers

Getting to work!

The mining company provides a seeded pile and we also did some digging around of our own but mostly worked in the pile since we were only there for one day. So... lugging bucket after bucket from the pile down to our area.

Then you fill your pan with the goods:

Take to the river's edge and shake shake shake

Also take some buckets to work through the sluice box

and ta-da!

Whoo hoo!
I had such a blast and can't wait to go back. Way more fun that I thought it would be. Also a lot of work, but it didn't feel like work.

Old 06-25-2012, 09:57 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
Then after the long day we all got filled up on some new york strip

Didn't see much wildlife, a deer, quail, couple western fence lizards. I did get some decent shots of a big ol' banana slug:

Then Sunday on the way home we stopped by the Indian Grinding Stone Historic State Park

Some of these holes were really deep!

me again, cause why not

And then a quick stop at Sutter Creek, looked like it might be a decent place for some herping one day

thanks for looking!

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
Shadera
Looks like fun! I've always wanted to try gold panning.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
WebSlave
Yeah, that does look like fun. Probably better odds than playing the lottery....

I got interested in metal detectors a while back, and they had models that were optimized for detecting gold. I wound up buying a more general purpose machine, but honestly never got around to playing around with it. They are actually a bit complicated and require quite a bit of actual hands on experience to be any good to you. From reading up on it, it's actually quite an art to making sense out of the audio and visual clues a detector will give you. But much of your learning curve will involve digging up a bunch of aluminum can pop tabs. Evidently aluminum reacts quite similar to gold in many of the non specialized detectors.

Usually the detector coils are water proof, so I wonder if they would be of any use in a stream to help pinpoint gold to give you better odds of actually finding something? Could also be helpful if the detector could indicate how MUCH gold might be at any given spot.

But heck, then again, maybe that would take some of the FUN out of it...

So how much gold, in weight, did you actually find?

Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
ooo I like that idea of using a metal detector! I've always wanted to play around with those. I'll have to ask my friend if he's ever thought of using that or seen/heard stories good or bad. Thanks for that idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
So how much gold, in weight, did you actually find?
Approx 1/2 a pennyweight, estimated worth of about $30-40.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:57 PM   #6
FireStorm
I did not know you could still do this, but now I wanna try!

Old 06-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
~Just Curious~
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireStorm View Post
I did not know you could still do this, but now I wanna try!

That's so neat!
Glad you had fun and congrats on your gains!

Old 06-29-2012, 06:35 PM   #8
AbsoluteApril
you guys should try it, it's a lot of fun - especially when you see that sparkle in the pan.

We're already planning another trip

Old 06-29-2012, 08:09 PM   #9
Durante
Wow, that actually looks like it would be really fun. I'm going to have to see if there is anything around my area like that. Thanks for sharing the photos & feel free to pass on any tips.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!