Cleaning bones? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
AbsoluteApril
Cleaning bones?

One of my co-workers has a lot of rattlesnakes on his property. He found some bones (still looking for the skull) and gave them to me. Does anyone have tips on how to clean these?
Attached Images

Old 12-20-2012, 10:02 PM   #2
Metachrosis
Freeze them till summer and put them on an ant bed,theyll be shiny in a few days
Ive cleaned many skulls like this with natures perfect cleaning service

Old 12-21-2012, 12:34 AM   #4
WebSlave
Around here we could just leave them out near a fire ant mound and they would take care of it.

Old 12-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #5
AbsoluteApril
I'm in city, no ant hills that I know of around here and I'd be worried if I left them out that the racoons (or another person) would take them. Could I bury them?

I'll check out the link, thanks!

Old 12-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #6
rcarichter
I feed cooked chicken with bones to my dubias. The bones come out squeaky clean.

Noelle

Old 12-21-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
monostomatic
That looks like a job for dermestid beetles you can usually find the larva in your local pet stores cricket bin (they look like fuzzy worms).
You can order larger amounts of dermestids from doubleds.org or bugsincyberspace.com

Old 12-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #8
Focal
This is very fun. If you watch the show Oddities, some episodes give you advice on how to articulate skeletons. There is a member here who is really good at this ... can't remember the screen name.

Old 12-21-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
snowgyre
DO NOT put snake bones on an ant mound. Ant mounds work fine for larger bones, but will damage thin bones. Your best bet is to order a small colony of dermestid beetles. They're inexpensive and can be kept in a 10 gallon lidless tank. The adult beetles look similar to mealworm beetles, and the larvae are those fuzzy things you see in cricket shipments sometimes. Make sure you keep the colony in a well ventilated location (because they can stink depending upon what carcass you've got in there) and spray them once in a while to make sure they stay hydrated. Don't keep them too wet or they will smell and the flesh will get really nasty.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!