Trying to build - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 01-07-2007, 01:06 AM   #1
inked1
Trying to build

I would like to build anew enclosure, but have been running into problems, and need some help. I like many others need to function within a budget, and because my enclosures are in my living room, my wife requires it to look nice. I have 2 balls that I will currently be housing, but would also like it to be somewhat expandable or stackable.

I have been looking at melamine, but it is fairly heavy, and not quite pleasing to the eye. I also need to figure out what to use for heat and light.

If anyone has any suggestions, options they have used, anything, I just need help, I am quickly running out of room for several glass tanks around the house since theey are not stackable.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:33 AM   #2
Wolfy-hound
You can build out of reg wood, seal the inside and paint the outside. (or stain it) Or look at the wooden enclosures with the glass front doors. Make something sinilar and it will look really professional. Search the threads here and you'll find tons of examples. I've seen some REALLY nice handmade ones at shows even. Stains, trim on the outside, brass fittings.. really lovely. And mostly they are built all the same. A frame of 1x1 or 2x2 with the outer wood, and the door on hinges on the front side.
The glass tanks do take up tons of room. It can be a pain. That's why I went to racks. But I never particularly cared about the looks. I only care about the ones at my shop, and there isn't but 2 snakes there, so they are in tanks.
Wolfy

Old 01-07-2007, 12:13 PM   #3
crotalusadamanteus
Probably a lot bigger than you need for two BP's, but here's an idea of what I built using Aspen panels. They have them at lowes, and home depot. Go see what sizes they have and make your plans to fit.

They are 3/4 inch thick, so no framing was needed. You can use trim to make the edges nice and "presentable" for the lady.

Don't know if that helps or not, but it may give you some ideas. Also, light isn't a needed thing for snakes. Warmth is more important by far. So unless it was for asthetic reasons, you could put that money back into the enclosures and make them a little nicer maybe. ????

Good luck
Rick

Old 01-07-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
inked1
thanks for the advice, I'm going to Home Depot and to Lowes to check on some pricing and pick up the necessary materials now. I've also been reading through several other threads andhave some heating questions answered, it's now just a matter of purchase. I'll let you all know how everything works out and post some pics

Old 01-08-2007, 06:57 AM   #5
smilin-buddha
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus
Probably a lot bigger than you need for two BP's, but here's an idea of what I built using Aspen panels. They have them at lowes, and home depot. Go see what sizes they have and make your plans to fit.

They are 3/4 inch thick, so no framing was needed. You can use trim to make the edges nice and "presentable" for the lady.

Don't know if that helps or not, but it may give you some ideas. Also, light isn't a needed thing for snakes. Warmth is more important by far. So unless it was for asthetic reasons, you could put that money back into the enclosures and make them a little nicer maybe. ????

Good luck
Rick
Great looking cage. What are you using to heat that cage. Thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 07:15 AM   #6
crotalusadamanteus
2' x 11" flex watt under a 1/8" plexi. I slotted the back of the cage at floor level so as to slide the flex watt in from back, keeping wires outside. The groove holds the probe for the ranco, and the probe for the hot spot on my read out.

I did this in case I had to ever replace the flex watt.

It's a bit heavy, but at 6 x 2 x 2 it is pretty solid. Doesn't move much. LOL

Old 01-08-2007, 09:28 AM   #7
smilin-buddha
Thanks

I built a great looking cage with sliding doors. But didn't have the cash to go with a radiant heat panel. I was looking for some other ideas. I appreciate your time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!