Help Please?? Building outdoor BTM pen - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2015, 12:28 PM   #11
allreptiles1966
Schdy Summer is not that short man. It's warm for a few months. but as stated,I have a huge pen indoors from my bearded dragon days. My basement was set up with over 15 3'x5' pens. I combined a few to make a Savanna pen. But i could not tame the Eavi,so he had to go.

I've already made my trenches and filled with pressure treated lumber and fenced the bottom. I should be all set. Now if I can find the right BTM.

Old 04-26-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
allreptiles1966
Do you have BTM yourself?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 AM   #13
mialma09
Personally I wouldn't do an outdoor enclosure in either of those states because they both can get very cold at night and possibly kill the BTM. I don't know what kind of space your working with but if you can build a nice walk in Viv in a garage that would be much better but just my 2 cents

Old 04-27-2015, 11:02 AM   #14
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by mialma09 View Post
Personally I wouldn't do an outdoor enclosure in either of those states because they both can get very cold at night and possibly kill the BTM. I don't know what kind of space your working with but if you can build a nice walk in Viv in a garage that would be much better but just my 2 cents

I've been monitoring my SC yard for a few years,and with the heat I will be adding,a few cool nights will not kill him. I have talked to a couple of guys who also have BTM pens outdoors,and they thrive. Both in SC.

SC nights in the summer are not that cool man. But I understand your concern. But heat takes care of that.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #15
Edwardo
Outdoor cages are not that great, simply because the keeper has little control over things, your very limited, your pretty much at the mercy of the weather.

Your much much better off spending your time, effort and money on a properly set up indoor cage, were you can control things, try different things, and then make the necessary adjustments, which is a big part of keeping monitors in captivity.

Old 04-28-2015, 07:10 AM   #16
allreptiles1966
Thanks for the info. But I'm being told different things from two people in Nj and a couple from the Carolinas. The guys I'm talking with say an outdoor pen does work. I'm not looking to control weather. Just give them some outside time!! As stated,I already have PROPERLY set up indoor pens!! Posted earlier on in this thread. So,an outdoor pen is already in progress and will be completed by fall. Summertime outdoors in Sc in HOT,and will support a big BTM for a few months as I plan. So not sure what your thinking?
I'm not looking to house them outside in cold weather.
the only thing I won't be able to control is the weather,which I'm not looking to try and do. A good covered area will help give shade and reprieve from the rain if it wants it.

Again,thanks for your opinions. Ill update as I go along. I won't be back in SC until late summer to complete my outdoor pen.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!