The BOI will be coming to an end on 02-02-2020 - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:43 PM   #31
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
BTW
I am a paid member of both Fauna and CS.com. Paying more at CS.com so as to have my own forum there (wonder if that would work here?).
Anyway, I would like to raise my contributer level (pay more) here at Fauna. Probably next month?
Only thing is that I wonder, if I were to do so (let's say next month), what happens to my current membership, which does not expire until Oct.? Will the higher level paid membership start as soon as I pay for it, and move expiration to that earlier date (a yr. later, of course), and simply erase my current membership (and paid $)? Something else?

~~~~
FYI, I terminated the personal forums over on CS a while ago when they were obviously being abandoned. I only allowed the existing ones to remain as long as they were at least being used. And no, you are not paying more for them than the standard paid membership which is identical to here. BTW, you haven't posted in your personal forum over there since 2015. Hint, hint...

And for the record, I did try personal forums here for a while. Yet another disaster that proved to be a waste of my time setting up.

The way the memberships are being used here is not as the developers of this message board software intended. There intention was for it to be used to open up access to one or more hidden or locked forums for each "subscription". Sort of you would be subscribing to special forums and not special *features* and *perks". So the way it works here, with the way I have it set up, each paid membership gives more perks per higher level, not opening up access to additional forums. So having multiple memberships does not gain you anything as only the highest level would really be significant. Things like classified ad bumps are not summed between multiple memberships, only the highest one is significant. Yes, both memberships will run concurrently, but that doesn't really gain you anything except you would be sporting BOTH medallions in your profile box associated with your messages posted. I've had people tell me that they like that "feature" but that is highly unusual for someone to do that.

So concerning upgrades, what I have done in the past is to allow an upgrade for the difference in price between the new higher and the old lower level. But this is something I have to do completely manually, so we would have to do this via private message rather than drawing this thread too far off beam.

Does that help to explain how that works?

Old 01-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #32
snakesareawesome
BOI is more useful than facebook because it catalogs a lot of information over a lot of years and is just more searchable. Facebook groups will come and go and not provide that long term source of data. Also facebook is subject to change itself. I believe they have unenforced rules on the books about animal sales and such.

Old 01-22-2019, 08:36 PM   #33
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
FYI, I terminated the personal forums over on CS a while ago when they were obviously being abandoned. I only allowed the existing ones to remain as long as they were at least being used. And no, you are not paying more for them than the standard paid membership which is identical to here.
Whups, that is true. Okay, I ~used~ to pay more.
Still would pay extra if for nothing more than supporting the site.

Quote:
BTW, you haven't posted in your personal forum over there since 2015. Hint, hint...
Also true. LoL
For some reason, I just like having it. Guess I should go update, etc., when I get a chance to.

Quote:
Does that help to explain how that works?
Yep. I understood about the perks etc. Have just never tried upgrading, mid membership, before. Wondered how that was handled. Will get in touch, with you, next month or in March.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #34
April Homich
I realize that I let my membership lapse. I don't mean to - I changed my email several years ago, and just now updated it here so I likely miss any kind of notifications.

I still find the BOI quite useful, and try to send people over here to share their issues with transactions because you can find BOI posts in google searches - something that you can't do in Facebook. I find the Facebook groups to be quite messy and hard to search, and there is extremely limited accountability in posts.

All this being said, I can understand how running the site with a lack of support can be a burden and a cause of frustration, so whatever happens, I understand. I've been around for years, so I will go ahead and do that renewal!

Old 01-22-2019, 09:14 PM   #35
Dro B
This site is better than facebook in a lot of ways but the point of allowing people to log in using Facebook accounts is that a lot of people these days don't want the hassle of creating accounts. A lot has changed in the past 20 years since this site first opened and you are dealing with a younger generation. I don't know what it takes to change the site to do that it may be too expensive to be an option but if it isn't I think it would bring a lot of traffic here. IMO the BOI is probably what has kept this site going most other similar sites have died or are on thier last leg but I get the predicament Rich is in too.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:21 PM   #36
Looney
I'm a pretty new member to this forum. I got out of the herp hobby many years ago. After years of not having the time for GTP'S, ATB'S, balls, carpets, etc etc. I jumped back in. I forgot how much I loved my critters. This was one of the best forums I could find. The BOI was an incredibly useful tool. I just personally contributed to help out and keep access to the BOI. I would love to see a cost effective way to keep it alive for everyone just so newcomers could have access to the info so they could join the hobby with confidence with out too much extra cost. I don't mind spending a few bucks a year for valuable info but it may turn away new members who would contribute down the road if they see its value.

What if we had members contribute to a fund to help pay for a hand picked selection of members to have access and pay for their membership?

Old 01-23-2019, 12:44 AM   #37
Big Time Reptiles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looney View Post
What if we had members contribute to a fund to help pay for a hand picked selection of members to have access and pay for their membership?

$25 a year is a small price to pay for a membership, considering the price of reptiles, and other critters.

I personally don't think we need a welfare system, it would be just a matter of time, it would be abused. A hand picked selection of members? If these are new members how would one pick who did and didn't receive the FREE membership, I think that would be much more trouble than it's worth, and although I do believe the welfare system here in America is needed, "for some", it's widely ABUSED!

I don't think Rich needs to implement a welfare system here.

JMHO

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles

Old 01-23-2019, 12:45 AM   #38
spawn
This logic doesn't make sense. You want to keep the BOI around, despite its lack of popularity, by now ADDING a paywall? Wouldn't it make MORE sense to just charge a flat fee to people wanting to post ads, since that would incentivize them to make money off of potential sales? You're looking at it all wrong. I understand your reasoning, but it's just an inevitable failure. Most sites charge people to post ads - because you're making money off of free advertising. You being the users, not you the admin. Trying to resurrect or justify something that is free that is waning by making it harder to access (regardless of the headache to you) doesn't make any logical sense to your audience or users. Years of cataloged information lost forever for something new users won't even notice.

Again, I understand your reasoning. From a principled standpoint, it makes perfect sense. From a 'driving traffic' standpoint principles do not apply from the user's perspective.

Old 01-23-2019, 02:21 AM   #39
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by spawn View Post
This logic doesn't make sense. You want to keep the BOI around, despite its lack of popularity, by now ADDING a paywall? Wouldn't it make MORE sense to just charge a flat fee to people wanting to post ads, since that would incentivize them to make money off of potential sales? You're looking at it all wrong. I understand your reasoning, but it's just an inevitable failure. Most sites charge people to post ads - because you're making money off of free advertising. You being the users, not you the admin. Trying to resurrect or justify something that is free that is waning by making it harder to access (regardless of the headache to you) doesn't make any logical sense to your audience or users. Years of cataloged information lost forever for something new users won't even notice.

Again, I understand your reasoning. From a principled standpoint, it makes perfect sense. From a 'driving traffic' standpoint principles do not apply from the user's perspective.
The classifieds really don't cause me any headaches. I don't get threats of lawsuits over what is posted in them. I don't get people threatening me with physical injury over what someone has posted there. I don't have the need for the "got my back" support of the majority of TOTAL members (past and present) standing behind my sticking my neck out to defend the classified ads they have posted on this site. The feeling of a MAJORITY of "I will have your back, if you have mine" is gone, and it now feels like a oneway street. Yes, there are still apparently a good number of people who do support this site and the BOI, but it no longer feels like even close to being a consensus. Not when 139,000 total registered members is taken into consideration.

The number of people who have left this site, and/or declined to continue financially supporting it, has driven the point well home with me that the BOI is not as important as I would have hoped it would be to most people. So this is the result. I guess I don't understand why that logical progression set in motion when people decided to stop supporting this site should come as such a surprise.

So no, I am not going to charge anyone to use the classifieds here on this site. I just don't see the need for it, and it is actually irrelevant to this discussion.

Old 01-23-2019, 05:46 AM   #40
Looney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Time Reptiles View Post
$25 a year is a small price to pay for a membership, considering the price of reptiles, and other critters.

I personally don't think we need a welfare system, it would be just a matter of time, it would be abused. A hand picked selection of members? If these are new members how would one pick who did and didn't receive the FREE membership, I think that would be much more trouble than it's worth, and although I do believe the welfare system here in America is needed, "for some", it's widely ABUSED!

I don't think Rich needs to implement a welfare system here.

JMHO

Lynn Peterson
Big Time Reptiles
Lynn,

It was simply an idea. Neither great or perfect but just an idea. I agree $25 isn't a large sum of money. I paid once I realized this forum needed support. I didn't think twice. $25 wasn't going to make or brake me. I willing to listen to any idea that keeps the access to the BOI as open as possible. With the younger and next generations utilizing the Internet for information more and more before entering a hobby. Restricting access to the info needed to enter the hobby only hurts the "good and responsible breeders" who will help usher in further generations of herpers with quality animals and service.

I don't think there is any good solution right now aside from trying to monetize every transaction in the classifieds but no good way to do it. It seems to be the most utilized aspect of the forum but doesn't seem to generate much money for the site itself. If anyone could figure out a way to monetize a $1 or $2 from every actual sale it might go a long way into keeping open access to the BOI.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!