Bad Guy Daniel Nutwell - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:39 AM   #1
NeoReptiliac
Thumbs down Daniel Nutwell

I decided to post this badguy thread tonight based on a person me and my wife just recently bought from. My wife was wanting a Water Monitor and searched the threads here on the Fauna site. She eventually found one that Daniel Nutwell was selling here. http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=159334
We asked him to email us some photos. He had some blurry photos but the monitor appeared healthy from what we could tell in those photos. ( I don't have the photos any more sorry. )
We went ahead and sent him the money for the water monitor after checking his record out on the BOI (where we found no information on him at all.)
He sent it to us after having some issues shipping. (He said his local UPS office wouldn't ship due to it being close the holidays.)
When we got the monitor it was smaller then we had expected but didnt complain. We put it in its new cage, and left it alone for a while so it could settle down. A day later my wife got it out and decided to admire it, but she noticed that something was off. This was to be our first Water monitor but she noticed something right away and asked a friend of her's before she accused Daniel of anything. The friend (Chuck Hurd) wasnt quite sure so he made a thread on facebook with the photos she sent him of this monitor that she herself took. Meanwhile she looked up information herself as well. They both quickly came to the conclusion that this was NOT a water monitor but infact a Nile monitor.
Ok so my wife contacted Daniel to tell him this. He claimed that it was a Water and was sold to him as a water monitor. He even told her that it was illegal in Florida where he lives to have Nile monitors. She showed him the differences and asked for a partial refund. Not only had he charged her more for a Nile, but he also charged her $20 extra shipping and handling that she soon noticed. So she asked for half back of what he had charged her. Which was fair since it was only covering the extra cost of a water monitor and the extra shipping. He said he would have to ask his mother. Which was a huge redlight for us. He claimed to be an adult. But why would he have to ask his mother if he was? We asked that and he said cause it was her paypal email address that he used to get our payment through. But we didnt believe that since the email address had his ignitials. (DN)
He then refused to send any refund, and swore that his friends all told him that it is a Water monitor despite the obvious difference between the two and the one he sent us. Here is some photos of the one he sent us.

For those unaware of the differences, a Nile's nostrils are farther back and to the sides. A water's is more to the front and towards the top simular to a Croc's. And also Water monitors have some bold black markings on the shoulder/neck area while Niles do not. Here is a photo of a Water monitor to compare.

I lost some of the emails between us, but here is the ones I do have. They start at the top with the most recent and end with the least recent.(Communication was done using my wife's email.)

----- Original Message -----
To: Stephanie Jordan
Sent: Sunday, December 27, 2009 4:41 AM
Subject: Re: monitor

everyone i've showed the pictures to tells me it's for sure a water monitor. can you take picture's of it's arms? cuz it doesn't look like circle on them in the photo's i have

To: "Daniel Nutwell"
Date: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 9:19 PM

Well for one you overpriced me on shipping. I ship geckos in those containers. I did a check on Shipyourreptiles.com which you used to ship to me and it came up as $30 not $50. And since the monitor is only worth around $19 at the most. Then that would total $49. Totaling $51 refunded. I think that's totaly fair.
Stephanie Jordan
www.neoreptiliac.com
Sent: Saturday, December 26, 2009 4:02 PM

i'm talking to my mom about refunding some money, but she's saying no, so let me get back to you. how much are you wanting refunding?

--- On Sat, 12/26/09, Stephanie Jordan wrote:

Date: Saturday, December 26, 2009, 7:58 PM

Hi if you replied I might have missed it. My pc glitched yesterday when I was checking my mail, and I lost about 4 new emails cause of it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Stephanie Jordan
www.neoreptiliac.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 1:44 PM

i'm sorry, i didn't know that.

Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 6:05 PM

It's a Nile. You realize that Niles are a lot cheaper then water monitors right? I can usually find them for $19 all day long. Here's two photos to show you the difference between the two. Water monitors have a few bold black markings in front of the front legs. Niles do not. I didnt notice this myself till after my friend pointed it out to me.He's the Tristate Reptile Association president for my area. Chuck Hurd

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Stephanie Jordan
www.neoreptiliac.com
Sent: Friday, December 25, 2009 12:52 PM

the people i got it from said it was a water, and i asked them quite a few times. nile's are illegal here in florida. and they're usually wider than that one

--- On Fri, 12/25/09, Stephanie Jordan wrote:

Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 5:46 PM

I have to ask. Is it really a water monitor you sent me or a nile monitor? I was looking at some photos of the two and honestly it looks like a Nile not a Water like you said it was.

Stephanie Jordan
www.neoreptiliac.com

Another email with photos was sent as he asked but he never returned a reply.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #2
Archie Bottoms
It ia a nile water monitor.That is what they use to call them so you did get ripped sorry to hear that .On a side note those guys almost never tame down when older and there bite will require stitches.Be careful.Other wise it looks healthy

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 AM   #3
dturner100
How can this person own, and sell them and not know the difference? Though my nile, and asian water look similar in color their body shape, and like mentioned above snout are different. Also the tail of the water monitor is more triangular than the round tail of a nile.

This guy obviousely shouldn't be dealing reptiles, nor owning potentially dangerous monitors if he can't tell the difference.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:04 AM   #4
NeoReptiliac
By the way Daniel knows about this thread. He just seems to not want to post in it.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:10 AM   #5
JG1153
Paypal's probably not going to help you out on this but if you used a credit card through paypal your bank should credit your account back for the money without much hassle since you essentially received something different than what you purchased and then paypal can deal with him. get your money back and then when he requests his animal back have HIM pay for the shipping back. Additionally, document everything and once the animal is on it's way back contact Florida Fish & Game and have them deal with him on the issue of illegal wildlife.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:11 AM   #6
NeoReptiliac
I'm afraid I can not ship the animal back. Since there is laws against owning these with out certain permits. I could get in big trouble.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
NeoReptiliac
Owning them in Florida ( were Daniel lives ) that is. I wanted to make that clear. There is no laws like that here in my state thank god.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:21 AM   #8
JG1153
yeah you're right but you should still get your money back. if you feel bad about keeping both the money and the animal you could sell the animal once you get your money back and mail him whatever you obtained for the animal. Make sure you charge him a fee for taking the time to sell his animal since he doesn't know what he's doing. Or once you have your money back you can negotiate a price for it if you want to keep it. Either of these options should be fair I think.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:30 AM   #9
GECKOFREAK
No one should be selling animals that they cannot properly identify....that is definitely a Nile monitor. Also, I know Stephanie and she knows her stuff...she got ripped off in this deal and I hope Mr. Nutwell will decide to make things right.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:33 AM   #10
NeoReptiliac
Your right, and we could have asked for all of the money back since we was shipped the wrong thing. But instead asked for just the extras that we paid for the wrong type of monitor. Even though, if he refussed to send that back then I highly doubt he will send the whole refund back (even though he should) . I've considered selling it localy. I really don't want to ship this time of year. But even if I do sell it localy I will only gain $19 (which is what I would charge) of my money back.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!