Vette was in a shop for 8 months, but finally back home - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-28-2019, 01:01 PM   #1
WebSlave
Vette was in a shop for 8 months, but finally back home

Had the vette in a shop for the past 8 months and finally brought it home this past Monday. Hopefully that nagging drivetrain noise I have been having nearly forever is finally gone. Best I could tell the pilot bushing was causing the problem, but I had the clutch, flywheel, throwout bearing/slave cylinder, pilot bearing, input shaft to the torque tube, and the front torque tube bearing all replaced.

Might as well post pics of the C5Z being back where it seems to spend most of it's time. I knew there would be things I would have to touch up after being in a shop, so that is what I have been doing since Monday, and will continue to do for the next few days.

Old 12-08-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
WebSlave
Sigh.... and now it is back in the shop. After developing an oil leak in the turbo scavenge pump lines and the finding that an oil line was pushed up against a rubber boot on one of the half axle shafts and slit open the boot, I had them send a tow truck this past Thursday to haul it back there.

That was after I fixed many different problems I found. A wire was pulled loose from a connector on the ABS pressure sensor. Multiple hose clamps were loose. One hose clamp was oriented in such a way that it was pretty darn difficult to get to the adjustment not, and the end of the threaded shaft was pressed right against the bottom of the radiator. Which would have eventually worn a hole in the radiator from vibration. One of the three nuts holding the engine cradle to the frame was not only loose, but a good quarter inch of bare thread was showing.

So after bringing it back home, it never left the lift again before being pulled out of the driveway to be driven up onto the flatbed tow truck...

Old 12-09-2019, 02:43 PM   #3
JColt
Man that sucks Rich. Almost like having a King Cobra. Look but don't touch. Hope it get's sorted for you. My friend who is a huge Jeep freak keeps pumping time and money into his 2. He said, maybe I'm getting too old for this. I know I look back at some of the things I liked to do and today I wonder why I spent so much time and money just to get aggravated.

Old 12-09-2019, 05:16 PM   #4
WebSlave
Heck, I would feel foolish to give up now on it after all the time, effort and $$ I've put into that car over the past 10 years. I believe the drivetrain problem is now fixed. The new clutch feels great. All that needs to be done now (knock on wood) is to fix the minor things that got screwed up in the shop it was just in. Which should be on their dime. When the tech put things back together, he was rather negligent in double checking his work. There were a number of things I fixed afterwards, but when I was trying to figure out what was causing the oil problem in the turbo oiiing system and found the axle boot slashed open, it was time to send it back to them and have them fix the rest.

They have a new axle on order. The axle isn't hard to replace. I replaced both of them a few years ago when another shop left a brake line laying across the boot on the passenger side axle.

The oil leak problem is probably just a matter of a bad seal in one of the threaded connectors. Likely at the "T" junction in back right where the two lines directly coming from the turbos join together to return the oil to the scavenge pump. When I took pictures of everything, there is something that doesn't look right there.

When I pick up the car this time, I am going to have them put it up on the left at the shop and I will do my own inspection before driving it back home. But just in case, I will take some spare oil with me, just in case. If that scavenge pump stops drawing up the return oil from the turbos, it will blow out the tailpipes and drain the engine of oil pretty quickly.

So barring just having something else decide to break on me, unrelated to the current issues, the car should be pretty ship shape when it comes back home.

Hopefully, anyway.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:57 PM   #5
JColt
Hope it goes well this time. I've had my share of sloppy mechanics.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:40 PM   #6
motero
Beautiful Vette, I understand your pain.

Old 12-21-2019, 07:36 PM   #7
WebSlave
The car was actually ready to be picked up yesterday (Friday), but both Connie and I were too busy with stuff to go pick it up. She was baking Christmas goodies and I was outside working on cutting down a dead tree that has been threatening crunching the compressor unit for our heat pump. With rain through the weekend and into Monday perhaps turning our dirt road into a flooded muddy mess, then with Christmas Eve and Christmas Tuesday and Wednesday, likely won't be until Thursday before we can get out there.

Not that this is worrisome or anything. I feel that most of the time I have had this car it has either been in a shop doing mods, being hacked by a shop claiming they knew what they were doing, in a shop getting repairs from the previous shop's hacking, or up on the lift in my own garage with me doing repairs from all of the above. So it's not like several more days are going to make much difference. Come Christmas the car has been away for 9 months.

Old 12-22-2019, 12:05 AM   #8
Tim Cole
Finding a mechanic you can rely on is tough! I finally found one and for a bonus they like snakes!

Good luck.

Old 12-24-2019, 07:26 PM   #9
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Cole View Post
Finding a mechanic you can rely on is tough! I finally found one and for a bonus they like snakes!

Good luck.
When it comes to Corvettes, I'm beginning to believe that there is no such thing.

Old 12-29-2019, 01:41 AM   #10
WebSlave
Well, the car is back home now, and it appears that the oil leak problem has been fixed. They also replaced the driver's side half shaft that had the torn grease boot damaged. So, so far, so good. The drive home with it was actually a rather pleasant drive.

But there is another fly in the ointment. Apparently they had someone wash and buff the car, and it appears that whoever it was used a rotary buffer and isn't all that competent with it. They appear to have applied it to ambitiously to the front and rear plastic Corvette emblem decals and damaged them. This caught my attention when I was lightly dusting off the car and cleaning off finger prints here and there on the paint surface.

Sigh.....

The service manager is away but expected to be back on Monday. I sent him an email last night so I'm curious to see where this goes from here.

I have been toying with the idea of getting the car repainted after I get all the mechanical issues resolved and don't have to worry much about putting the car in a shop again and then have the inevitable damages that seem to take place at dealerships. Had the car just been freshly painted and this stuff happened, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be as calm about it as I am now.

In any event, my main worry is that those decals might be getting pretty scarce for a car that is almost 18 years old. If the dealership will spring for the cost of them and offer to install them, I may choose to just have them send me the decals and hold onto them until it comes time to repaint the car. But I dunno. The car looks pretty sharp if you don't look REAL close for the defects, and maybe I should just live with what I've got. I don't imagine I will be able to drive a stick shift comfortably for too many more years.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!