Snake Attacks Three-Year-Old Boy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
wcreptiles
Snake Attacks Three-Year-Old Boy

A fine reporting job by KXNT, the snake is dead; boy and mother doing fine. A follow up story would be nice to find out what actually happened.

Quote:
Snake Attacks Three-Year-Old Boy

A three year old boy and his mother are recovering from a snake attack in Las Vegas. The eighteen foot Python snake attacked the young by while they were at their remodeled business. The snake wrapped itself around the boy when his mother slashed the snake with a knife. The snake was killed but the boy and the mother are fine.
http://www.kxnt.com/Snake-Attacks-Th...ld-Boy/3706331
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Tiger Lilly
Thank goodness the people were ok, but what were they thinking? I'm with you; I'd like to have more info

Old 01-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #3
wcreptiles
A Las Vegas toddler was pulled from the jaws of an 18-foot-long, 300 lb snake.

Quote:

"That was the only thing I was thinking was I need to try and save this kid's life," neighbor Marlo Vinson said. Vinson was the first neighbor in the apartment complex to try and help the toddler's mother free him from the snake's grasp.

"That's when I saw the 3-year-old on his knees with the snake constricted around him," Metro's Sergeant Steve Custer explained. "I've been a police officer for 36 years and I've never seen anything like this ever."

Custer was one of the first officers on scene. "It's the biggest thing I've ever seen, with a big old head and it's angry and it's hissing."

Why stupid people with young children keep dangerous pets is beyond me.

Probably so you can have stupid commenters on the online news items about how their kids were endangered by their pets.

Thankfully the child is fine and that is the most important issue here, now that said this is not the snakes fault yet the snake had to be euthanized by a veterinarian therefore the snake those (some even SMILING) officers are standing around holding is still alive and suffering from 17 stab wounds while they are posing for sensationalistic photographs. If this were a dog or some other family pet would they have hung around to take pictures while holding the suffering dog? Probably not there would be public out cry for the suffering animal. But this is only a snake so who cares- it is a living creature and deserves as much respect as any other living animal.

P.S. Said snake in photo is dead.
http://dogfightatbankstown.typepad.c...ing-snake.html
Attached Images

Old 01-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #4
DAND
Sounds like it was thier pet that attacked. And this woman has reproduced.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
wcreptiles
A Little More Information

According to this FOX Newsvideo, this family was pet sitting and the snake got out of its cage and 'wrapped itself around' the child.

http://tinyurl.com/cztxsy

Old 01-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #6
DAND
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcreptiles View Post
According to this FOX Newsvideo, this family was pet sitting and the snake got out of its cage and 'wrapped itself around' the child.

http://tinyurl.com/cztxsy
Still, it's not too smart to have such a large snake in the same house as a child. Anybody ever see the cartoon Rugrats? Kids get into all kinds of things and parents aren't always aware of where the little ones have gotten off to as was probably the case here. At least the child is okay and hopefully the parent has learned something from this.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 AM   #7
wcreptiles
I see a big problem here, you don't keep a retic in the bedroom when you have a 3 year old. The cage had to be a piece of junk if the snake got out or the 3 year old was able to release the snake.

Quote:
The toddler's mother told Metro that while she was in the bathroom, her son entered the bedroom where the snake was being kept. "The snake bit him, right here like in the armpit," said Custer. "
At least stupidity charges should be filed. You keep a large snake in a secure cage in a secure room even if you don't have kids around. You don't pet sit unless you have the facilities to properly care for the animal. You wouldn't keep someone's horse in your garage and back yard.

Quote:
Because of its injuries, animal control was forced to put the tiger python down. At this time, authorities are still deciding whether or not to file child endangerment charges against the 3-year-old's mother

Quote:
Las Vegas toddler survives 300 lb snake attack
KVBC-TV
updated 8:13 a.m. ET, Sun., Jan. 25, 2009
Dan Ball reporting

"That was the only thing I was thinking was I need to try and save this kid's life," neighbor Marlo Vinson said. Vinson was the first neighbor in the apartment complex to try and help the toddler's mother free him from the snake's grasp.

"That's when I saw the 3-year-old on his knees with the snake constricted around him," Metro's Sergeant Steve Custer explained. "I've been a police officer for 36 years and I've never seen anything like this ever."

Custer was one of the first officers on scene. "It's the biggest thing I've ever seen, with a big old head and it's angry and it's hissing."

The toddler's mother told Metro that while she was in the bathroom, her son entered the bedroom where the snake was being kept. "The snake bit him, right here like in the armpit," said Custer. "

The boy's mother stabbed the giant 325 pound python 17 times until it released him. Moments later, police arrived. "So we're thinking maybe it's dead, so we crack the door and look in there... oh, here's this big old snake," explained Custer.

The half a dozen officers decided to wait for animal control. "We're trying to get that little hook on the snake and finally we get it on there and then the fight is on," Custer continued. "It was incredible, we were rolling around on the bed on the floor back and forth every body has a piece of the snake."

"They grab you and then they pull you into the coils and coil you," Jim Tracy, manager at Pet Kingdom, said. "Every time you breathe in, they constrict harder and harder until you can't breathe."

All constrictors are non-venomous snakes, but they will bite their prey and hold on until they can get wrapped around and suffocate their meal.

Tracy says that most snake attacks are caused by people just not paying attention. "The snake is the victim because it paid the price for people's negligence."

Because of its injuries, animal control was forced to put the tiger python down. At this time, authorities are still deciding whether or not to file child endangerment charges against the 3-year-old's mother.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/28802226/

Old 02-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #8
SofaKing
I have more compassion for an animals life,then any human life.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by SofaKing View Post
I have more compassion for an animals life,then any human life.
I don't.

I value some individual animals very highly, my dog for instance, because it's MY dog...

And I value an animal's well being over a person's feelings. But to value an animal's life over a human's is bordering on the rabid and insane. May as well make a check out to Ingrid if you truly feel that way.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #10
ForkedTung
Quote:
Tracy says that most snake attacks are caused by people just not paying attention. "The snake is the victim because it paid the price for people's negligence."
One of the smartest things I've ever heard said in these situations....

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!