tremper incubation method - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: what do you think about the tremper incubation method?
I do not agree with it and don't use it 24 42.11%
i have no problem with it and use it 8 14.04%
i could care less as long as it is represented as such 17 29.82%
either way is fine and i dont care if they do or dont disclose this info 8 14.04%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-30-2004, 02:41 PM   #31
Monte
Chocolate albinos . . .

I have a friend who was at a herp show in Omaha. He found a nice melanistic male for me - he said it was one of the darkest leos he'd ever seen.

He was going to buy it for me - and the vender said, "These are chocolate albinos".

This friend of mine is VERY experienced in herps in general and leos in particular - and it looked melanistic to him.

An albino is an albino is an albino - NOT!

Yikes!!

Old 01-30-2004, 02:45 PM   #32
Golden Gate Geckos
Well????

So, did he sell the "chocolate" albino for a whole bunch of money? LOL!!!

Old 01-30-2004, 04:31 PM   #33
diablohogs
melanistic?

im speachless. apparently the desperate cry for the melanistic leopard gecko has even reahed into the world of albinos.

i'd really like to see a picture of this "chocolate albino" and maybe than we can better understand what this guy is talking about.

other than the fact that the 3 strains are not genetically compatible with one another.... an albino is an albino is an albino.... some are just browner than others and have been line bred longer or incubted at lower temps.

Old 01-30-2004, 04:35 PM   #34
diablohogs
Quote:
i'd really like to see a picture of this "chocolate albino" and maybe than we can better understand what this guy is talking about.
no disrespect intended monte.

Old 01-30-2004, 06:51 PM   #35
SFgeckos
sorry i was playing with words

i didnt mean to refer to the terms "chocolate or lavender albinos" as they were a "morph".

i just didnt want to use the word BROWN (there i finally said it) and get slammed by people haha..it's like a "nice" way to say some albinos can be dirty brown-...chocolate..lavender...sounds much better doesnt it? =P

-jon

Old 01-30-2004, 08:46 PM   #36
Golden Gate Geckos
chocolate albino

http://www.knreptiles.com/available/albinoleo.html
Quote:
There were several breeders that had "chocolate albinos" for sale on their websites, but they have been renamed in the past day or so! LOL! I wonder if this thread hd anything to do with it? Anyway, there is one that has already been sold on this website:
http://www.knreptiles.com/available/albinoleo.html

Old 08-21-2004, 11:10 PM   #37
Blazin
Incubation.

Well first of all this is very interesting to me. I have a group of Trempers. 2 males and 4 females. This year I have hatched out probably 40 some odd trempers. Couple of years back when I first purchased a few trempers. I talked with Nicole Elliser of KN in depth for a while about the incubation method and other factors related to Trempers. What she told me, was something I was unaware of . She said that Trempers hatched out and left at cooler temps would display the darker coloration. Slightly sceptical I didn't give it a second thought. My incubation methods are pretty common. I use the standard temps for females and then with males I gamble and use 85 for a mix. ALL OF MY TREMPERS have hatched out nice and light colored pink and lavender animals. Just to see how they would turn out I placed a few at room temp. They all turned brown. None of them retained their light colors. I had some extremely bold jungles that I tinkered with in this manner and they looked in my opinion very cool! Going back a little in time one of my original animals was purchased from Masterpiece. This gecko turned out to be a nice Tangerine Albino. Really nice tangerine highlights while retaining alot of lavender. Thinking there might be a possible relation between the Tyronise and the Tangerine I then kept the male at room temp. Most of the lavender of course turned slightly brown.
This year I bred him to one of my tangerine and one of my regular tremper females and hatched out a few with some good tang to them but they all hatched out lightly colored. My point is I think some people may be experiencing temp FLUCTUATIONS even in THEIR RACKS! Certainly heat tape can wear out and cause this and whats probably even more common place is faulty thermostats or lower end ones. Well anyway my point is this I USED PROVEN INCUBATION TECHNIQUES and didn't hatch out a single Brown Tremper. I did cause some to take on the brownish look by temperature after incubation. Oh! Oh! Even one day at the lower temp I got these same results.:deer:

Old 08-21-2004, 11:24 PM   #38
Golden Gate Geckos
you are on to something!

I was suprized to see this thread resurrected after so many months, but you have made an excellent observation. I am pretty sure that Kelli mentioned something to that affect when she an Justyn recently visited RT's facility. According to Ron, in order for the light/bright coloration to "set" and become permanent, the gecko must be kept at relatively higher temperatures for several months. I think he was unsure of exactly when it sets, but this could also explain why some brown albinos can develop into lovely oranges, yellow, and lavenders, and visa versa. The temperature incubation method apparently is not the full story when it comes to the coloration of Tremper Albinos.

Old 08-21-2004, 11:41 PM   #39
Blazin
You took the words out of my Mouth Marcia!

Man I hate being unable to articulate sometimes. Thanks for helping. I think thats exactly whats going on! That means TOnS OF FUn still around the bend with all the albinos!!!!!

Old 08-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #40
gmherps
Without reading this topic 1st, I put a couple of eggs from my "no incubator" setting (aka: the rep room) into the incubator. I was unaware of the possibilty of what may happen. Very good topic here!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!