Adenovirus and its spread - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-29-2002, 10:54 PM   #1
CheriS
Ten days ago I posted an awareness message regarding this virus on another site, since then we have got emails from over 50 people involving over 200 animals that died with this virus(confirmed by pathology) or suspect their animals died with it(same symptoms).

Be aware, this virus is out there and showing up more and more in the beardie population.  Nothing cures it, from what we have seen personally and talking to others, the mortality rate is high, perhaps 100%.  Dr Dan Wentz who spoke at the 26th International Herpetological Symposium in St Louis this month called it "Adenovirus in Bearded Dragons, an Emerging Threat".

Nothing at this time can detect this in Dragons but pathology on the deceased animal.  It DOES pass easily from one animal to the other, animals show a variety of symptoms or none at all til they die, older dragons have a history of being poor eaters, babies die rapidly usually, many times whole clutches are lost or ill. Either parent can pass it to the ova and the young are born with it.

We know that several breeders know they have this in their colony, we know that some continue to sell infected adults or young. We also know ones that are being responsible and withdrawing from all sales and donating the young to research.

I am new to this board and not sure of the all the rules, but i will email the webmaster and ask to put the full articule and symptoms or a link to them on this board.

Cheri Smith

Old 07-31-2002, 12:19 AM   #2
MiLadyDragonn
~I had a very heartbreaking experience with this deadly virus about 3 years ago.  As a result, I put together this page so that others could be more informed.Adenovirus in Bearded Dragons

Hope it helps!

Old 07-31-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
CheriS
thank you Jude, for sharing the symptoms of hatching, my personal experiece was with 2 mo-4 mo and 3 mo to 9 month old dragons. spam_I also experienced this virus and was so ignornat of it at the time, I too wanted others to know and started researching and talking to Vets finding all I could and compiled some current info on it at the link below

Adenovirus Symptoms and Information

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!