quick breeding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-31-2005, 05:34 AM   #1
BigRick62
quick breeding question

if i bred a 100% het male albino to a normal female would there be any actual albinos or not?

Old 12-31-2005, 08:40 AM   #2
hhmoore
nope.

Old 12-31-2005, 09:56 AM   #3
Art Klass
Harold, you're killin me . Patrick, in this circumstance all of the offspring will be normal in appearance. Some of them will carry the albino gene making them het for albino. The problem is that there is no way to tell if they are het or not. This is how the term "possible het" comes into play. It can get pretty confusing, especially when you throw double and triple hets together. Regards, Art

Old 12-31-2005, 10:43 AM   #4
CornNut
If they did produce any albinos it would mean that your presumed normal female was actually a het albino. It's happened a few times that people have been surprised to find the albino gene in a pet store female but it's not common enough to get your hopes up. But if that's the pair you have go ahead and breed them and keep their 50% possible het daughters and try again for albino the next generation.

Here is the square for the het albino X normal breeding:

A = normal version of the gene
a = albino mutant version of the gene

Het albino (Aa) X Normal (AA)

<html><table border=3><tr><td></td><td>A</td><td>A</td></tr><tr><td>a</td><td>aA</td><td>aA</td></tr><tr><td>A</td><td>AA</td><td>AA</td></tr></table></html>

Each egg has a 50% chance of being a normal looking het albino (Aa) and 50% chance of being completely normal (AA).

Old 12-31-2005, 01:40 PM   #5
LadyOhh
I was going to chime in, but that last post covered it. BUT!

To get albinos, you must have a 100% het male and a 100% het female. The punnet square would be representing those both as (Aa) and the (aa) will be albino.

A a
A AA Aa
a Aa aa

So with two 100% Hets for Albino, you would get one normal, two 100%hets and one visual albino. But since you cannot distinguish between the normals and the hets, all three of the non visual snakes are sold as 66% het for albino.

Hope this helps! Good luck!

Old 12-31-2005, 04:11 PM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyOhh
To get albinos, you must have a 100% het male and a 100% het female.
I know what you meant, but your phrasing could actually be confusing to somebody that didn't.
You can breed a 100% het to a 50% het and get albinos...the % number, as applied in possible hets, just reflects the odds of a normal appearing offspring carrying the trait in question. For example, breeding a het albino x het albino will yield approximately 25% albinos, 50% hets, 25% normals. therefore 75%, should be normal in appearance. As mentioned, the normal appearing orrspring would be considered 66% possible het (2/3 of the group will be het albino). That number will only be applicable until the animal is bred and "proven out". so whether the animal is 66% het, 50% het, or just possible het), if it is bred to a known het or an albino and produces albinos, it is het albino.
Some people that don't grasp that will resell these animals as proven 50% hets, which is just ridiculous (proven breeders, yes). once proven, they are het albino or not...the only reason to keep the % attached is lack of understanding or attempting to misrepresent the animal (ie. If a 66% het is proven to NOT carry the gene, if it is offered for sale as 66% het - the seller is misrepresenting that snake so he can get more money)
sorry Art, sometimes a simple answer works...hope this made up for it

Old 12-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #7
Art Klass
Harold, I just thought your answer was hilarious. It cracked me up. Art

Old 12-31-2005, 06:02 PM   #8
BigRick62
thx everyone for your help, that answered my question completely.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!