Advice request for Catskills pond - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
lustleigh
Advice request for Catskills pond

We have a large stream fed pond on our property in the Catskills. The pond has loads of frogs and various pond life but no turtles. We'd like to introduce some eastern painted turtles this spring. Does anyone have any advice on how to do this ? Many Thanks. Mark

Old 03-20-2016, 12:17 AM   #2
snowgyre
Do you have photos of your pond? I grew up in the Catskills and I am now a wildlife biologist, I could give you some pointers if you give me some more information. The most important thing is that if your pond freezes all the way to the bottom in winter it is not suitable for turtles.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #3
lustleigh
Thanks so much for your reply, I don't have a photo but I'm fairly sure the pond did not freeze to anywhere near the bottom this past winter at least, it's approx 25yds diameter and surrounded by verdant woodland and approx 70 yards from a creek. There are no roads nearby.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:43 AM   #4
snowgyre
Can you please take photos tomorrow? Water temperature, habitat structure (e.g. logs), sunlight exposure, depth, food availability, nearest known population of turtles, etc. are all very important factors.

Old 03-20-2016, 12:51 AM   #5
lustleigh
I'm away until next friday but will take a bunch then. Many Thanks
Mark

Old 03-20-2016, 01:02 AM   #6
nickolasanastasiou
Mark, I am going to move this to the relevant discussion area instead of the classifieds section. I will leave an expiring redirect. Thanks.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!