I did it~ I bought a cow! Pics - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 05-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #11
WiseReptiles
Very nice Cheryl and glad you are enjoying them.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Is that a Royal Palm? I just purchased some.

Old 05-03-2010, 09:57 PM   #13
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yes. I loved those Turkeys but I had to sell them. I don't know what else you keep~ but be sure to read up on the worm that causes "Black head". If it's on your property you'll never be able to successfully breed those turkeys. Apparently mine had built up enough immunity to survive and breed~ but the poults never made it past the first month unless I brooded them in the house. I sold them to a friend of mine who treated them and is trying to breed this year~ hopefully her property does not already have the worm as well.

Good luck~ they are fantastic birds!

The chickens, guineas and geese do fine here~ it was just the turkeys that had to be babied along till it became too expensive to keep them. Home necropsy of the livers clearly showed the yellow stains on the liver caused by Blackhead so I finally gave up on them.

Hope yours do better!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:13 PM   #14
deborahbroadus
Those are some amazing looking turkeys!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:18 PM   #15
DAND
A friend of mine called me a short while ago and she was giddy as all hell (which wasn't her normal morning demeanor) because the cow she had purchased turned out to be gravid and she was now the proud momma of a baby calf. She was happy she hadn't had it butchered (the momma) as she had planned to.

Nice looking critters you have there Cheryl.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:22 PM   #16
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl Marchek AKA JM View Post
Yes. I loved those Turkeys but I had to sell them. I don't know what else you keep~ but be sure to read up on the worm that causes "Black head". If it's on your property you'll never be able to successfully breed those turkeys. Apparently mine had built up enough immunity to survive and breed~ but the poults never made it past the first month unless I brooded them in the house. I sold them to a friend of mine who treated them and is trying to breed this year~ hopefully her property does not already have the worm as well.

Good luck~ they are fantastic birds!

The chickens, guineas and geese do fine here~ it was just the turkeys that had to be babied along till it became too expensive to keep them. Home necropsy of the livers clearly showed the yellow stains on the liver caused by Blackhead so I finally gave up on them.

Hope yours do better!
Yes, I have read about black head and I do have chickens in close to them. So that is a worry. I have some Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms, Blue slate and some Standard Bronze.

I have read that people keep their chickens and turkeys together for decades and haven't had a problem and from others that had all their turkeys wiped out. I'm concerned considering all the poults were housed with baby chicks and chicks were sent with these to help them feed.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:44 PM   #17
Shadera
Ooo, gorgeous birds, and the burgers ain't bad 'neither. I can't wait to move to someplace more open so I can have turkeys. I want some blue slates and lavenders.

Old 05-03-2010, 11:04 PM   #18
AbsoluteApril
the cows look great, they grow so fast! (and those are some neat lookin' turkeys), meatloaf! lol too cute!

Back when my grandparents had property (in misery, ahem, missouri) I'd always be out back with the 2 cows. He wouldn't let me name them so just called them both 'dinner'.

Old 05-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #19
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Hultman View Post
Yes, I have read about black head and I do have chickens in close to them. So that is a worry. I have some Bourbon Reds, Royal Palms, Blue slate and some Standard Bronze.

I have read that people keep their chickens and turkeys together for decades and haven't had a problem and from others that had all their turkeys wiped out. I'm concerned considering all the poults were housed with baby chicks and chicks were sent with these to help them feed.
I also had the royal palms, the blue slates, and the bourbon reds. Great birds~ great personality. FUNNY! We named a pair of hens "The Troglodytes" because if there was trouble on the property THEY were involved!

Mine did great even in with the chickens.....in the house. It was after I moved them outside that I had a few losses~ not many. Apparently my property had the worms on it already~ so the birds came in clean, brooded in the house and were exposed slowly from contact with us, our water, greens I brought in as snacks. Then when I put them outside I lost a few but not too many until the second year when I tried to hatch. Between the hens and my incubators we hatched OVER 100 turkey poults last year....ONE survived past a month....but died before 3 months old. Home gross necropsy:
(I'm just putting the links in for those who might want to see the innards of a sick turkey)
http://thereddragonsden.com/images/H...lackhead-1.jpg

http://thereddragonsden.com/images/H...lackhead-2.jpg

Thanks for all the compliments on my calves and my birds. I'm very proud of those calves and actually very proud of those turkeys.....you have no idea how hard it is to raise big beautiful birds on property that was trying to kill them from the start!

Old 05-04-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
Mistyck
Love the calves! Too pretty. You've got yourself some nice stock.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!