MEALWORM SHORTAGE!!! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:58 PM   #31
WingedWolf
Whoa, I've used Lobster roaches, and while everything you say about how easy they are to raise, and how readily they are accepted is true....

They are an INCREDIBLE pain in the arse to actually feed off to the animals. They're fast, they climb walls, they jump, the adults even fly a bit, and they get loose. They can't just be scooped through a screen like mealworms, and dumped in a bowl. They're insane to try to corral, worse than crickets.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:22 PM   #32
Golden Gate Geckos
I have been feeding my adults superworms and crickets, but I need mealworms for the babies. They aren't all accepting crickets. I will not use lobster roaches because they climb, and I don't want to smear Vaseline all around the edges of my 500+ rack tubs. I have used discoids and orange head roaches, but only some of my geckos will eat them.

BTW, I spoke to a person at the company I have been getting my mealies from. It appears that it was insecticide in the feed/bedding that was the culprit in the mealworm shortage. I have been stressing out over the number of egg failures and deformities I've had going on this season, and wonder if there is a correlation??? As soon as I have more information, I may post something on the BOI about it.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:34 PM   #33
dprince
That's very interesting, Marcia!! Please do post when you have more information.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:07 PM   #34
Digby Rigby
There are many species of roaches

Blaptica dubia is a good roach as are Blatta lateralis. Blatta lateralis are non glass climbing fast breeding roaches roughly cricket size. Very inexpensive in large lots. Blaptica dubia are another non climbing slow moving roach. Not quite so crunchy as discoids. The dubia are so popular they are the only feeder we produce in house. We do however sell many species of feeders. Superworms are superior to mealworms in everyway and easy to breed. When breeding your own supply you can have them in all sizes from very small to ready to pupate. Dubia do dig however. Lateralis do not dig or burrow. For those who say their animals wont eat them just dont feed anything else for a week or so and they will come around.

Crickets and mealworms are nutrionally inferior to the other animals mentioned. To say that you have raised healthy animsls on crix and mealies just shows the ability of the animals to make do with what they have not the quality of the crickets or mealworms.

Digby Rigby

balboa28279@mypacks.net

Old 08-28-2008, 10:00 PM   #35
Golden Gate Geckos
I called Sunshine Mealworms and got a recorded message that says they found pesticide in their mealworm bedding. (800)-322-1100

heh.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:28 AM   #36
KelliH
It's so comforting to know that we were feeding our geckos pesticide infected mealworms.

Old 08-29-2008, 02:41 AM   #37
Strazo
I Breed My Mealworms In Bedding I Make Myself None Have Died I Wonder iF sOME One Put Pesticide On Mealworm Bedding On Purpose

Old 08-29-2008, 06:56 AM   #38
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strazo
I Breed My Mealworms In Bedding I Make Myself None Have Died I Wonder iF sOME One Put Pesticide On Mealworm Bedding On Purpose
Most of the worm farms use bran to raise their mealworms in. It is cheap, inexpensive and one of their natural foods. I am sure the pesticide originated at the mill itself in an attempt control what occurs naturally.

I highly doubt it was done maliciously. Most likely pesticide treated bran was accidentally sent to the worm farms when untreated bran was supposed to be shipped. Good ol' human error was most likely the culprit here. Either in shipping the wrong bran or the wrong bran getting treated with pesticide and then shipped.

Old 09-17-2008, 09:43 PM   #39
thereddog
mealworm shortage

Is there still a mealworm shortage, or are the available again? I haven't been effected, as I have been able to get, but not near the quantities you guys have been talking.

Old 07-25-2009, 05:48 AM   #40
offroad537
I breed crickets and meal worms and roaches for my animals. That way i have different food to feed my animals. It gives me something to do and I can feed my animals when ever i want and i don't have to worry about going to the pet shop or buying over price live food from a breeder. But it does it old breeding meal worms. But i still do it for my animals. I mite start my own meal worm business.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!