Burm housing - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 05-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Burma Boy
Burm housing

How do you Burm owners house your big boys? ( girls )
Big fish tanks are no longer cuttin the mustard. And I wan to give my burms as much space as possible, while still being practical.
The super large Vision Cage is too expensive, and most other brands IMHO are too small for a burm.Do you use a different size Vision cage?
When you see Burms on display, they are usually housed in a room sized enclosure. That one is not gonna fly with the Mrs.
I was going to build one.
What does everyone here use? How big?
Just curious...before my burms over run the entire collection.
I have one albino male, that is my favorite, but he is very very very active. A 12" high cage is too small.
I'd like to see him in a cage with dimensions of...
8' longx30"deepx36"high
Any suggestions?

Old 05-17-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
BoaMan Jon
30" width won't make it through many doorways so measure around your house to see what fits, unless you plan to build in the room you keep the snakes. 36" high can lead to heating and humidity issues. When there is that much air space you start to lose your gradient as a heat source from above will transmit the heat throughout the cage because of humidity. 24" is a bit better height IMO. Shower surround is a 1/8" think board with a waterproof laminate that makes great floor and wall covering because it cleans so well and if on the entire inside of the cage makes it waterproof and is much easier/faster to work with than several layers of a brush on sealant. I don't recommend anything but ply as melimine can and will fall apart over time with humid conditions and is even heavier than ply. Don't forget to caulk all the inside joints with aquarium caulk. You should let a newly finished cage air out for a week or so before you add the animals because the fumes can be toxic from caulk/sealant/stain.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!