Someone using Kenneth Harbart's name to send Virus's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:12 PM   #1
Gary O
Someone using Kenneth Harbart's name to send Virus's

Many people know about the petition that I help run and the email I put up for it. Well People are sending TONS AND TONS of virus to this email. This email is only seen on my site and this is the only email that is getting sent these viruses so I know it is not on of them Email virus things(where they get sent through the address book). As who would put this email in there buddy list. or address book. But I highly highly dought Ken would be sending viruses. I was just deleting them until today. When I seen Kens name. It popped into my head that someone is using others names to cover it up.

Here is the email address.

kennethharbart@home.com

This is the email sent to the petition email

Quote:
Subject: stolen Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 10:13:20 +0200
To: venomoidpetition@thereptileroom.org Print...Headers...

i'm waiting
Now most of these emails have in the title

Stolen
You are bad
Good job
Something for you
unknown
read it immediately

Then in the subject it will say
This was stoled
Good job
You are bad
I am waiting

I just looked and every email is in a deleted folder. So i will give every email.

1)law12-f114vyr6jfjdf0000837e@hotmail.com

2)026104@www15.aname.net

3)trinitywolf1@insightbb.com

4)sandra145022001 (yes that is what it was)

5)steigefamily@tiscali.de

6)Mohammed ( I just noticed this is one of them scams and no virus was attached)

And the kicker

7)venomoidpetition@thereptileroom.org

8)Kennthharbart@home.com

This is really low of someone but I am not sure what to do. Now that I know I still have all these emails though I might be able to do something I hope. (They are web based not on my PC).....

The Virus is a worm

Here is one of the file names(there are others)

mail2.htm.exe application/octet-stream

I am not sure who is doing this but I also thought Ken should know. My PC is clean and picked up the viruses when I scanned the emails. So no harm done just a bit upset someone would do this.

Thanks everyone.

And I do not think this is Ken at all. i know he would not do something like this. This is some punk trying to cause trouble for others.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:18 PM   #2
Gary O
I will give all the file names of the files used to give the viruses also

story.zip application/x-zip-compressed

ranking.pif application/octet-stream

message.zip application/x-zip-compressed

nomoney.zip application/x-zip-compressed

concert.zip application/x-zip-compressed

swimmingpool.scr application/octet-stream

Now I would pass these of as just junk mail but why is this the only email on my server getting them. And why would select names start being used? Like Ken's and Trinitywolf's?

Not sure what to make of this.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:20 PM   #3
DThomas
This is very common. I highly doubt someone is doing this intentionaly. The most common scenario is some one is infected and does not know it. The virus then sends itself out to anyone in the persons address book and forges the return addresses using that same address book. It goes on and on from there, repeating the same cycle. Just somewhere along the line the virus picked up Ken's email address and started using it to forge the return address.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
Ken Harbart
Thank's for the head's up. It's been a few years since I've had an account with the since defunct @home network, so it seems to be a matter of a bot picking up the address from either old forum posts or newsgroup archives.

Either way, it sucks having my name associated with anything of this nature.

Old 07-05-2004, 05:25 PM   #5
Gary O
I hope it is that to tell you the truth. Just a red flag went up seeing his email if you know what I mean lol.

I am doing a quick scan of my forum to make sure o Javascripts are in anyones sigs or anything to cause such a thing.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-05-2004, 05:30 PM   #6
Gary O
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Harbart
Thank's for the head's up. It's been a few years since I've had an account with the since defunct @home network, so it seems to be a matter of a bot picking up the address from either old forum posts or newsgroup archives.

Either way, it sucks having my name associated with anything of this nature.
No worries. I knew it wasn't. Now if anyone gets an email like this they also know it is not you.

Thanks guys.

To let you know though they are using an older worm and a good virus protection program will pick it up. I think you guys are right though that it is a bot.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!