Mountain Horned Dragons 2nd clutch hatching at day 170 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Other Lizards Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-24-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Mad4You2
Mountain Horned Dragons 2nd clutch hatching at day 170

I looked at the second clutch this morning because I'm off work today - went and picked up my fairy goddaughter to spend a couple of days with me and I had 5 pips.....we have 4 hatched as of this post and each weighed 1.5 grams which is .5 more than the first clutch. They are pretty feisty, seem to be jumpier than the first ones were when they hatched. Sara is watching the last pip now and he's sticking his head out. I've color coded them so I can post weights and be precise as to how much each has grown.
Now........the pictures!

2nd clutch pipping

Closer pip view

hatching tank

close up pip

Orange baby out!

Closer view Orange baby...

5th one still waiting to come out!

There are 2 more eggs that haven't pipped....I'll keep posting! Angie

Old 07-25-2007, 01:09 AM   #2
Mad4You2
5 and 6 hatched....7 still holding out

Update on the hatching situation....we went to eat lunch and when we came home the 5th one had hatched....and the 6th one was pipped....7 is holding out. We went to see Hairspray and came home and it looks like 6 is progressing a bit but still on the inside....7 hasn’t pipped yet. Meanwhile, Orange, Pink, Yellow, Purple and No Color and playing in the nursery tank.

The 6th egg hatched about 8:30 pm and has a large yolk sack, he's still in the hatching tank until that is absorbed or falls off. I just checked the 7th egg and it's still holding out - no pipping action yet.

I'll post comparison shots between Crash and the new hatchlings tomorrow and a pic of that enormous yolk sack on 6. Thanks for looking at the post and if anyone has any data to add please feel free to post. Angie

Old 07-25-2007, 09:32 AM   #3
Mad4You2
More pictures....

This is 6 after pipping....see his tail coming out?

Here are some pics of the yolk sack after he finally got all the way out...

It’s gone down a lot this morning....he’s still in the hatching tank....7 looks like it might be starting to pip....no breakthrough yet though. :-) Angie

Old 07-25-2007, 11:30 PM   #4
Mad4You2
6 moved to nursery tank

6 moved to the nursery tank this afternoon...the egg sack was completely gone...it was really small early in the afternoon and when we got back after running around it was totally gone so I moved him in with the others....he's double pink marked for ID. The 7th egg has not progressed, looking back to my notes on the first clutch all eggs pipped by the second day of hatching. More of them had yolk sacks and spent more time in the hatching tank than this clutch. Angie

Old 07-28-2007, 10:18 AM   #5
Mad4You2
Day 174

7 was pipped yesterday morning (day 173) when I got up. He's got more of his head out now but he hasn't progressed past that point. Sometimes his eyes will open and he will blink but he's still firmly in the egg with just the head poking out. Last night I put Yellow in with him to see if that would make him feel like coming on out but it didn't. Yellow went back to the nursery tank this morning. I keep thinking this clutch is more skittish than the first one, these guys are bouncing all over the place...some hang upside down from the screen top...the first clutch has never done that. I'm wondering if Diablo is the dad of this clutch because they seem to have his attitude! The babies from the first one are really mellow now...they will let me do just about anything to them....I handle them several times a day. So far I haven't seen the second clutch eat but they are playing in the water feature so between that, the humidity and the misting they should stay hydrated. I expect them to start eating in the next day or so. I'm offering small Phoenix worms. :-) Angie

Old 07-29-2007, 12:06 AM   #6
Mad4You2
7 hatched a little before noon today. There was a fairly large yolk sack and it is still there tonight. He's staying in the hatching tank until it's gone and then he'll join the others....so far I've had 100% hatch success rate with two clutches - 15 total! Angie

Old 07-30-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Mad4You2
Finally - Day 175 he's in the nursery tank!

7's yolk sack finally fell off sometime between lunch and when I got off work...It took a day and a half for him to lose his yolk sack...that's the longest retention for me so far. His name is Pokey because he was the last one to hatch. He's in the nursery tank now...weighing in at 1.5 gm. This entire clutch weighed at least 0.5 gm more when they hatched than the first clutch.

Bruja was gravid when I got her, wild caught, at a local pet store. I had her two months before she laid so she was gravid during all that stress of being caught and shipped more than once (from the wild to the importer and from the importer to my pet store, at least). She laid the second clutch 4 months after I got her so I like to think that the care she received here gave her better health and made the gestation period easier making this clutch stronger. Now we have 15 babies total!

In the nursery tank, there were a few urates today...very tiny like with the first clutch...I think there are some Phoenix worms missing too! ;-) Can't wait for the poops! Angie

Old 07-31-2007, 02:28 PM   #8
Drache613
Hello

Hello,

Wow what great pictures those are. How many total babies do you have now? They are so cute. I hope that they are doing well.

Tracie

Old 07-31-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
Mad4You2
Correction - it was day 176 before he went to the nursery tank

Thanks Tracie....I appreciate you posting! There are 15 babies now, 8 at 2 months and 7 at less than a week. The 2nd clutch started eating Phoenix worms today - the whole bowl is gone and they didn't climb out! I also have poops and urates...they play in the fountain and like being misted so they are coming along well. The first clutch has their horns and spikes coming in....it's so exciting! I really like how tame the first clutch is from all the handling they have had, it's really apparent now that I can compare them to the way the second clutch acts...I think the first clutch was less jumpy to start with though. My male Diablo could possibly be the father of the second clutch timewise and they act just like him. Thanks for posting! Angie

Old 08-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #10
Drache613
Hello

Hello Angie,

Wow, 15 huh? That is really awesome that they are already getting their horns & spikes now. They are really beautiful lizards, well, dragons I should say!! LOL
You have your work cut out for you for sure. I know they must be keeping you very busy. That is cool they are all so tame.
Great they are going potty for you, too! You will be scooping poop all day long now.
They enjoy being misted & playing in their fountain? I am happy that they are doing so well. :-)

Tracie

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!