Pet shop set on fire... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Old 09-29-2006, 07:49 PM   #1
boybronco
Pet shop set on fire...

By somone protesting for animal rights...

Apparently the person set the reptile shop on fire, killing 24+ animals and spray painted "No More Animal Exploitation" on the front of the shop.

What the hell was this guy thinking...

http://www.boston.com/news/local/art...officials_say/

Old 09-29-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
INSANE CANES
All those poor animals.
I sure hope they catch whoever did it, and set him om fire.

Old 09-29-2006, 09:36 PM   #3
Aprylla
That makes me totally sick.

A friend of mine just lost thier own pet shop at a local flea market this past Monday, so this really hits home for me. Including the feeder mice and rats over 100 animals died there (about 30 reptiles). The fire was not intentionally set, it was ruled to be accidental, an electrical issue at another flea market store.

I hope they catch the person/people who did this to the shop in Boston, lock them in a cage, and let them slowly burn to death to see how it feels.

Old 09-29-2006, 10:16 PM   #4
Goanna
I just cant help think about the stupid mentality.

A person thinks animals shouldnt be sold as pets, so you would think they care about the animals, yet they decide setting a store on fire and killing them animals inside is a good course of action to take to prove their point?

I swear Animal Rights Activists have to be some of the most irrational people on this earth.

In the article they comment that they didnt attempt to free any of the animals. I bet that's because they don't care about reptiles or other cold blooded animals. Almost all of the crazy animal people I have had the "pleasure" of meeting, only care about cats, dogs and select mammals, they could care less about reptiles or other exotics.

Old 09-29-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
Clay Davenport
Links to news articles get archived and die rather quickly. For that reason the full text of news articles needs to be copied to the post so that it will be preserved here for future readers after it is no longer accessible on the news website.
I'll paste the full article here for this post.

Pet shop blaze deliberately set, fire officials say

By Brian R. Ballou, Globe Staff | September 29, 2006

A fire that killed more than two-dozen exotic snakes, frogs, fish, and other reptiles in a Cambridge pet shop Wednesday night was deliberately set, perhaps by the person who spray-painted the message ``No more exploitation of animals" on the store front, fire officials said yesterday.

State Fire Marshal Stephen D. Coan said that investigators were not focusing on any single motive for the blaze, which apparently started on the second floor of the Boston Tropical Fish and Reptiles building on Monsignor O'Brien Highway around 9:45 p.m. and sent animals slithering and scurrying from the flames and heat.

Referring to the note sprayed on the front of the store, Coan said: ``The investigation team is not ruling out the graffiti. We're looking at a number of potential scenarios."

Store owner Dianne San Filippo took offense at the message. ``One of our largest snakes was found melted in his tank," she said, standing outside her gutted store yesterday morning. ``Is that kind of death better than exploitation? I don't think so."

San Filippo said her manager had trouble with several people about two weeks ago. ``He had to tell a couple of people who came in to leave, after they started yelling at him and giving him a hard time about the feeder mice," she said, of the stock of mice the store keeps to feed some of the reptiles. ``I don't know if that has anything to do with the fire, if it's a coincidence."

Authorities said the fire appeared to have started on the second floor of the two-story building. It was put out at 10:33 p.m.

``This case is peculiar, because there is no evidence any animals were freed, which is certainly contradictory to that message," Cambridge Fire Captain Gerry Mahoney said. ``It's cause for alarm, because usually animal rights groups attempt to set the animals free."

Alan B. Borgal, a state humane officer with the Animal Rescue League of Boston, said a portion of the store that was untouched by flames appeared to be cluttered and unsanitary, in violation of state codes.

Borgal said 14 animals, mostly reptiles, and up to 75 fish were carried out of the fire alive. The number of fish that died was unknown; Borgal said those that survived were taken to an emergency hospital set up at a Petco store near the Cambridgeside Galleria. Rainforest Reptiles in Beverly took all the reptiles. The Animal Rescue League of Boston took the rats.

Old 10-07-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
addicted
Fire

turs out it was the manager who set it on fire,he was going to buy the place but could not get the money so he tried a diversion with the spray paint but it did not work.

Old 10-18-2006, 02:50 AM   #7
Clay Davenport
Police Make 3 Arrests In Pet Store Arson

3 people are under arrest on arson charges in connection with the burning of a pet store in Cambridge, Massachusetts. More than 2 dozen animals were killed.

The fire at the Boston Tropical Fish and Reptile Store, including toads, snakes, and turtles.

Authorities arrested 42-year-old Thanh Trinh of Charlestown, 21-year-old Dennis Nickerson of Somerville, and 17-year-old Zachary Azzam. They were arraigned Friday afternoon in Cambridge
District Court on charges including willful burning of a building, malicious killing of animals, and larceny.

Prosecutors did not immediately disclose a motive in the case.

Outside the pet shop, investigators found the spray-painted the words: "No More Exploitation of Animals."

Link

Old 10-18-2006, 02:57 AM   #8
Clay Davenport
Manager arrested in blaze that killed dozens of pets

The fire that destroyed the Boston Tropical Fish and Reptile store in Cambridge last month was not set by animal activists but by the store’s manager with assistance from two accomplices, prosecutors charge.
The manager, Tranh Trinh, 42, of Charlestown along with Zachary Azzam, 17, of Cambridge and Dennis Nickerson, 21, of Somerville, were charged with the willful burning of a building, malicious killing of animals, cruelty to animals, larceny over $250, and larceny from a building, authorities said. Some two dozen animals, including snakes, toads and turtles, were killed.
Trinh was in the process of buying the business and police allege he intentionally set the Sept. 27 fire. Authorities said Trinh vandalized the building with spray-painted graffiti to make it look like an act committed by an animal activist group. All three pleaded not guilty yesterday. Azzam and Nickerson were both held in lieu of $1,000 bail, but Trinh was held without bail, pending a dangerousness hearing.

Link

Old 10-18-2006, 12:12 PM   #9
Seamus Haley
... used to be a pretty decent shop. I hadn't been in since it changed hands two or three times from the original owner though.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #10
Boidmom
Somebody saw an opportunity to make some money...forget about the insurance fraud issue...those people took lives they had no right to take, in the most horrible way...karma comes back, but it still makes me sick.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!