Bad Guy Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #1
Captive_Science
Jim Talioferro - Dead Shipment/Unresponsive

I recently made an inquiry on July 26th via text message to Jim Talioferro, Dryden, MI, regarding the purchase of a 19” female Sulcata tortoise for $900 shipped as advertised on Fauna.

After several texts and a phone conversation, the money was sent via Paypal that evening for a shipment to be sent the next day.

The following day, Wed July 27th, my shipping address was given as he had missed my phone call, via text.

On the 28th I inquired via text for what service he used to ship. His response was that he intended to use UPS and was given guidance from UPS of possible delays due to storm activity. It was agreed to ship the following Monday.

On Sunday the 31st, I inquired on a male as well to pair with the female and ship at the same time. He sent a picture of a male and stated he was 17” and 29lbs. Price was $450 shipped and I sent payment via paypal.

On Monday, August 1st, I received a text message asking me “Hey did u by chance get your Sulcata yet. I didn’t even realize my wife sent her out”. This of course puts the shipment sitting over a weekend.

I stated that I did not receive a shipment and inquired to whether or not she was shipped on a Friday.

Approximately five minutes later at 5:20pm, UPS shows up with a box. The driver handed off the package to which I immediately opened.
The animal, as expected with the recent heat, had died in the long transit. She was shipped in a large styro that had not been ventilated. The intense heat caused a complete separation in the center of the carapace, full prolapse, etc.

I contacted him immediately via phone and stated that the animal had not survived. I sent 10 pictures of both the animal and various shots of the containment upon arrival. During the conversation that ensued, I made compromise for a replacement animal of similar quality and size and/or a refund. Jim stated that he would make some calls in the attempt to find another animal as he did not have another.

Subsequent phone calls and texts were made in an attempt to gain a tracking number for the male that was supposed to be arriving and have remained unanswered.

The male did arrive today, wrapped entirely in cellophane tape and package in a cardboard box with newspaper. The box was of minimum dimension for the size tortoise. In addition, the tortoise was approximately 6.5” and a few pounds .vs the 17”/29lbs as described. This tortoise although quite warm seemed in good health and is being monitored.

I do have all associated photographs and did not post due to graphic nature. I will post if requested.

I did give the opportunity to correct within seven days via text with no reponse. Given the latest arrival being incorrect as described via text and photo, I will not be extending any additional offers.

I will be instituting full and uncomprimising legal action against this individual and spouse, for the swift return of the initial funds and any liquidated damages as allowed/applicable.

I am not familiar with any cruelty piece that may apply, but will be willing to fund associated prosecution the same.

I appreciate any feedback regarding this individual or assistance in recovery of the ads placed that have since been deleted.

Thanks,

Galen Clark

Old 08-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #2
Michael Brown
Un-real.

Texts / Email's, and perhaps pictures of way in which the sulcata's were packaged, (I too would avoid the graphic pics).

A Time-line associated with the above will help not only us, but you after legal steps are taken. I apologize for your lose, but you seem very well put together, you should get everything you deserve legally.

:/

Old 08-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Michael Brown
Oh, and If you can show us the HUGE size discrepancy that occured with the male who is still alive, would just strengthen your case that much more.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:22 PM   #4
Captive_Science
Michael,

Appreciate the thread view and input. I am gathering all pics and will post.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:31 PM   #5
bpsandmore
All I can say is WOW! That's pretty bad! Hope you get your money back! On my do not buy from list!!!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:58 PM   #6
Katie.Shinkle
How sad...

Do you have a picture of the deceased tortoise that isn't too graphic? I know it can be hard for people to see, but it does help pound into people's heads why to ship VERY carefully, especially in this extreme heat.

Like Michael said, a time line of events, as well as any communications will help tremendously. Has Mr. Talioferro been informed of this thread? Can you share his username?

So sorry for the loss

Old 08-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #7
reptilebaby
WOW

Omg.........All I can say is, How COULD they do that to you and a living animal! My god, most people would NOT ship anything living in this kind of heat.
I hope that this gets taken care of in your favor!

Old 08-03-2011, 10:06 PM   #8
reptilebaby
I would say to post pics too. If you have to, post all of them, it might be good for other people searching for them to see what they did to your tortoise, because of irresponsible shipping.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:16 PM   #9
Chuckels
I just cannot comprehend why in the he** people would ship ANY living animal in this heat. Especially over a weekend. That poor tortoise. I feel bad for you, but especially that little guy who couldn't even defend himself. I'd post all of the pictures myself, it may be graphic, but sometimes putting the pictures that are graphic is the only way to beat it into some peoples brains. I hope you get all of your money back. This is just completely uncalled for. Irresponsible _ _ _ _ s.

Trey

Old 08-03-2011, 10:37 PM   #10
Captive_Science
**graphic images**

Below you will find pics of the female Sulacata that arrived first..

Animal was moved to obtain images.
Attached Images