Unknown Rattlesnake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 07:08 PM   #1
Snakedoc2
Unknown Rattlesnake

I have been dealing with rattlesnakes for 52 years and have never come across this one. Do not know what to call it or what it is mixed with.....I acquired it when previous owner passed and would like to know what kind it is.

Beautiful rattlesnake doesn't match any that I have dealt with and I think he is a cross but not what with, I have asked other people in the business and so far everybody thinks he is a cross but with what?
Attached Images

Old 07-12-2011, 10:28 AM   #2
ThomasHicks
Not quite sure. It looks very familiar but doesn't remind me of any specific species. Just guessing, but possibly a natural hybrid, C. atrox x C. viridis?

Its face/head looks very much like C. atrox, but the dorsal patterning seems a little off and from what I can see, it doesn't have your typical "atrox" white banding on the tail. So it's probably not an atrox, at least not a pure atrox. I'm not certain though, but that's my best guess.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:47 AM   #3
Snakedoc2
What about the scales over the eyes that look like a sidewinder, it is defiantly a strange one.

Old 07-12-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
ThomasHicks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedoc2 View Post
What about the scales over the eyes that look like a sidewinder, it is defiantly a strange one.
Yes, come to think of it, the scales over its eyes do seem very pronounced in comparison to most Crotalus sp.

It's a very interesting specimen, I don't believe I've ever seen a rattlesnake that looked quite like that one.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Snakedoc2
Well, I would love to know what to call him, right now I have never seen one like this in my life. I am hopeful that somebody can help me identify him. I thought he might be a Crotalus viridis nuntius but I am not sure

Old 07-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #6
bakernuthouse
I would agree with thomas i think c.viridis is the closest looking check if it has more than two internasal scales touching the rostral plate if so its a dark prairie but it does look different from your average prairie. good luck with the ID

Old 07-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
Snakedoc2
It has too many scales touching the rostral plate, I took a close up shot so everybody could see that because I can't figure it out.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 AM   #8
LauraB
Looks like a muted pattern C. adamanteus to me ... or maybe a C. adamanteus x C. viridis cross. That said, I don't have 52 years of rattler experience

Gorgeous snake, whatever it is!

Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
LauraB
But it does have the head of C. attrox ... I give up. lol

Old 07-19-2011, 02:27 AM   #10
Snakedoc2
okay guys found out what it is, I know everybody has been trying to help me figure this out and I thank everybody for thier help...but it is a Crotalus viridis nuntius or Hopi Rattlesnake but he was sick when I got him, we wormed him nursed him and fed him good and he finally shed allowing us to see his true colors, Will post pictures to show him off tommarrow.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!