Shin Splints! Oh how they suck. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #11
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcr229 View Post
I had them when I ran cross country in high school. Yes, they hurt - a lot - and they take a long time to heal. Practicing on a surface with some give, such as the grassy just outside the track, did help but I eventually had to quit pounding the pavement.

If you're looking for an alternative, swimming is much easier on the old joints and bones.
That was a recommendation as well. Stay off the streets and use the tracks at the local schools that were designed to absorb or grass. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:19 PM   #12
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Shell View Post
Sorry to hear you've got this malady, I know it hurts like crazy. I had shin splints in basic training in the 70s. Had to work through it, almost had to quit the service. Caused by muscle development that exceeds the rate of expansion of the muscle compartments. Circulation is restricted, muscle pain/cramps ensue.

The treatment was stretching exercises and aggressive/deep massage of the affected areas to help the compartments stretch out to accommodate the greater muscle mass and allow circulation and unrestricted movement.
Thanks. Yeah the few massages that my wife has given has helped the most. I even took a wood kitchen rolling pin (flour roller) and used it on my legs and felt tremendous relief.

Old 03-01-2016, 03:21 PM   #13
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
, because it seems as if life goes on and demands one's attention and action no matter what challenges one may have at the moment.
Congratulations on the awesome weight loss.
That sure is the truth (as I get ready to leave and pick up kids) and thank you.

Old 03-02-2016, 01:56 AM   #14
nickolasanastasiou
In addition to what has been said (NSAIDs, rest, stretching, massage, and running surface alternatives), you may wish to add tibialis anterior exercise into your regimen, get a little aggressive with the massage (like myofascial release), and have your gaits (running and walking) evaluated well for correction. The wear patterns on your shoes will be indicative for a person to examine, too, if going for corrective inserts/orthotics.

Old 03-02-2016, 04:07 PM   #15
JColt
Used to run marathons. Shin Splints do indeed hurt. Hope the therapies help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!