setting up cage for a boa - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-08-2011, 11:07 AM   #1
MurdocksReptiles
setting up cage for a boa

so ive done some research on setting up a cage and come up with 75-85 as the average temp wanted for boas.
does that seem right to you guys.

im running a 60w red light and a 15w 8x12 zilla heat pad on the bottom of my 20x10x12 cage and coming up with about 82-84 on the zoo-med heat strip in the back. hoping its more like 78 or so in his hideout but no way of knowing?

heres a picture

my question is if you guys think thats an appropriate temp for the little guy.
and should the little den hideout thing he goes into be the coldest place in the cage? and then the basking rock the hottest?

oh and also curious what you guys think about upgrading cage size.

i plan on building a 42x24x12 inch box for him soon. but curious if hes actually better off in the smaller cage for now..

Old 12-08-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
MurdocksReptiles
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 12-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #3
JCCS
Honestly, aquariums suck for snakes in general. What you need to get is a sweater box from your local Walmart and a heat pad that would take up 1/3 the bottom of the box. This set up allows for better control of humidity and temperature while also providing the snake with a sense of security. Then you need a thermostat to control the temp. The temp should be be 80-82 ambient with a hot side of 88-90.

Good luck, Chris

Old 12-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #4
MurdocksReptiles
if i was going to make a cage from wood.
what would be recommended?
i was planning on plywood most likely, sanded smooth and painted with an easy to clean and water resistant paint.

curious how thick should i go?
think 1/4" thick plywood is strong enough or should i go 1/2" even 3/4"

any input is appreciated.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:20 PM   #5
JCCS
Wood isn't much good, as it has pockets for bacterial growth and it is also permeable for bacterial growth. At this size, it's also not necessary or particularly good for it. I would recommend a commercially built plastic cage once it gets larger. But for now, refer back to my previous post and set him up simply.

Chris

Old 12-08-2011, 07:52 PM   #6
bear
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCS View Post
Honestly, aquariums suck for snakes in general. What you need to get is a sweater box from your local Walmart and a heat pad that would take up 1/3 the bottom of the box. This set up allows for better control of humidity and temperature while also providing the snake with a sense of security. Then you need a thermostat to control the temp. The temp should be be 80-82 ambient with a hot side of 88-90.

Good luck, Chris

I agree, aquariums are no good for boas. If you insist on building something, use melamine and caulk the seems.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:
Wood isn't much good, as it has pockets for bacterial growth and it is also permeable for bacterial growth. At this size, it's also not necessary or particularly good for it. I would recommend a commercially built plastic cage once it gets larger. But for now, refer back to my previous post and set him up simply.

Chris
commercially built plastic cage?
such as an aquarium built from plexi glass?

or are you talking like a large plastic tupperware

or are you talking bout the super expensive boaphile cages.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #8
MurdocksReptiles
Quote:

Chris
and i dont mean to argue, but arent there paints and sealers i could use to prevent the permeable-ness and the bacterial growth.?

Old 12-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
JCCS
I was referring to plastic cages such as Boaphile, RBI, etc. I was unaware that $240 was super expensive for permanent caging for an adult boa.

Anyway, Bear had a good idea as well, but I still say that it's much too small for a constructed cage at the moment.

Chris

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
JCCS
Painters and sealers are generally toxic, not something I want my animal coming into contact with on a day to day basis.

Chris

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!