Smoothies - Page 13 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 AM   #121
walker75
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD
Do you own a "Normal" or an Altered?
What gives you the right to say whats right or wrong?
I myself will put myself in the middle of things and say I am in the works of producing these. Do I see a lot of mixxed emotions?
Yes I do.
Is it for everyone?
Hell NO.

To each their own.

Jim

Jim

Please reframe from swearing if possible.. I thought you would be in here saying you also are involved in this new Mutation of the bearded dragon know as the silkback..

Since you are in business and a importer of Dachiu Dragons I WILL say that I already have an altered dragon it is known as an Adeno Positive Dragon and a Carrier . If breed he will pass this on.

Not all dragons are positive for Adeno this we know.. yes we do...

Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #122
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Tere.
You wanna go there?
What color are you dragons? Were they not selectivly bred to be the color you wanted? Are you telling me that to get what you wanted there was not inbreeding to accomplish your desire?
Dont preach to me when you are all guilty!

If you dont like it say that. Dont try and downplay one thing and make another look bad. Really, think about what all is out there and come to a conclusion. I deal with ALL types of morphs in every reptile you could imagine.
What makes one worse then the other?

Jim
Ummm...I think the only thing I said about inbreeding is that we were told an inbred dragon had increased risk of contracting Adenovirus, amongst other issues.

There is no comparison between a colored regular bearded dragon and a silkback. Colored regular bearded dragons can bask, breed, have things in their cages, and THEIR SKIN WON'T RIP OPEN!!!!!! How does that compare at all to a silkback? Did I totally miss out on something here?

Oh...and one other thing. The only thing I'm guilty of is trying to have healthy, happy beardies. It's not me producing these mutations.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:00 AM   #123
Denisebme
Quote:
Tere.
You wanna go there?
What color are you dragons? Were they not selectivly bred to be the color you wanted? Are you telling me that to get what you wanted there was not inbreeding to accomplish your desire?
Dont preach to me when you are all guilty!

If you dont like it say that. Dont try and downplay one thing and make another look bad. Really, think about what all is out there and come to a conclusion. I deal with ALL types of morphs in every reptile you could imagine.
What makes one worse then the other?

Jim
Selective breeding for color quality is not the same thing, and most of us here have been doing this long enough to know that.
Its a whole different ball game to exploit a genetic mutation that significantly alters naturally established genetic traits.
Personally, I won't deal with any morph that has been significantly inbred to achieve because of the health implications in doing so. I did buy a few early on from the Hypo lines, but I no longer breed them, and I stopped as soon as I learned how they were created.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #124
walker75
Quote:
My goodness!
DO YOU NEED A SILK TO PRODUCE A SILK?

If you can answer this you have read about them. Has it even been proven a silk is even sterile?
You guys are going off again without even talking to the people working with these animals. You know what! Be the way youre going to be. Dont ask those who know. Judge and Jury right.

Ignorance is a pathetic excuse.

Jim.

The answer Is NO You do not

Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #125
Denisebme
Quote:
My goodness!
DO YOU NEED A SILK TO PRODUCE A SILK?

If you can answer this you have read about them. Has it even been proven a silk is even sterile?
You guys are going off again without even talking to the people working with these animals. You know what! Be the way youre going to be. Dont ask those who know. Judge and Jury right.

Jim.
Yes Jim, ignorance is a pathetic excuse.
The answer to your questions is NO, you do not need to breed two of these mutants together to produce more mutants BUT, in order to stabilize the genetics and produce them with more frequency, someone will eventually try to breed them, and probably in the not to distant future. Its just common sense that people aren't going to spend significant amounts of money on one of these creatures and not try to reproduce it just as there is no doubt that the people purchasing these to "work" with the lines will also be attempting to breed them at some point.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:07 AM   #126
JimD
So your Hypo, Leucistic, Translucent or solid RED had nothing to do with genetics?
Come on! If you guys read whats out there you know there isnt a lot of difference.
You take a certain dragon and breed it with another dragon youre going to get something. Whether you like it or not, its going to happen.
Hate it or love it, you still love your red or orange baby dont you?

Jim

Old 06-15-2007, 01:10 AM   #127
whiskersmom
Quote:
Jim.
Yes......Jim.....it is.

And there's no way that you lay persons can tell me that you have scientifically performed studies on these animals. Which one of you is a Zoologist, perhaps a biologist? Anything that can qualify you as someone worthy of studying these animals. And who asked you to do this, did you receive a grant?
Quit with the "studies" you people aren't qualified to study these mutations.

You asked in an earlier post "What gives you the right to say whats right or wrong" well.....what gives you the right?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:12 AM   #128
Denisebme
Quote:
So your Hypo, Leucistic, Translucent or solid RED had nothing to do with genetics?
Come on! If you guys read whats out there you know there isnt a lot of difference.
You take a certain dragon and breed it with another dragon youre going to get something. Whether you like it or not, its going to happen.
Hate it or love it, you still love your red or orange baby dont you?

Jim
I work with Red and Orange lines, and yes, it has everything to do with genetics. The difference is clear though, in working with my lines, I do everything possible to insure that I am neither line breeding or inbreeding. I'm not changing the natural characteristics of the animal by choosing its mate based on color quality.
There are different natural color phases Jim, and working specifically for color is not the same as monkeying with the genetics to the point where you significantly alter the very characteristics that make it a BEARDED DRAGON to begin with.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:20 AM   #129
Denisebme
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiskersmom
Yes......Jim.....it is.

And there's no way that you lay persons can tell me that you have scientifically performed studies on these animals. Which one of you is a Zoologist, perhaps a biologist? Anything that can qualify you as someone worthy of studying these animals. And who asked you to do this, did you receive a grant?
Quit with the "studies" you people aren't qualified to study these mutations.

You asked in an earlier post "What gives you the right to say whats right or wrong" well.....what gives you the right?
Exactly. What experience do any of them have in Veterinary genetics? How exactly are they studying and tracking the various issues that could arise with these animals? What marker of DNA is altered to produce them, and what other natural traits are affected by this mutation in the DNA? What controls are used to insure that no harm is done to these animals?
Whose standards decide how far is to far? Who do you answer to when something goes wrong?
This is way different than say, two blond people marrying so they could have pretty little blond children. This is breeding to significantly alter the natural genetic traits of an animal to the point that it barely resembles its own species.

Old 06-15-2007, 01:24 AM   #130
Tere Salazar
Quote:
Jim.
By this, I'm assuming the brainwashing phone calls are going to resume? Girls, get your ears ready.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread