How to breed rat snakes? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-20-2009, 11:27 AM   #1
moothefrog
How to breed rat snakes?

I found a pair of western rat snakes breeding in my garage. I took them and placed them in a 40 gallon sterilite bin. I am picking up some substrate,a hide, and a large water dish. Does anyone have any info on how to breed them?

Old 05-26-2009, 06:37 PM   #2
paulh
Sounds like the snakes are already at it.

Look around for information on breeding corn snakes. They are the most commonly bred rat snakes. I would keep western rats and incubate their eggs mostly like corn snakes. Though I'd be sure to brumate the westerns. It worked for bullsnakes, which are less closely related to corns than western rat snakes are. Good luck.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #3
My_Spyder
So, does that mean corns/rats can be crossed with a bull snake since they are somewhat related?

Old 05-29-2009, 03:45 PM   #4
paulh
What I meant was that I have incubated bullsnake eggs and corn snake eggs under the same conditions and gotten healthy, vigorous babies in both cases. I have also incubated fox snake eggs the same way and gotten nice babies. So I would expect that incubating western rat snake eggs like corn snake eggs would produce nice babies, too.

In my opinion, the keys to breeding corn snakes are a day/night temperature cycle, a light/dark time period that matches the sun, and a winter brumation period. Give a pair of western rat snakes the same, and I would expect them to breed sometime during the spring, too.

The OP, on the other hand, is a lucky guy. He caught a pair of snakes that already want to mate.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!