Very sick Beardie..help please - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 03-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #21
wyldwurm
First, I'd like to thank those that offered suggestions and advise

The little guy does have a slight jaw deformity from calcium deficiency but he is eating on his own despite that
He's been defecating regularly and he is finally acting more like a beardie should. Energy levels are up and he seems quite happy. I think he's going to be just fine.

He is going home today and while I am sad to see him go, I am very happy he will be in a great caring home with people who will take proper care of him. He still has some recouping to do, but he's a fighter and I think he'll do very well.

This photo was taken a few minutes ago. (His arm is fine, that is just the way he is sitting...sorry for the photo quality) A far cry from the listless limp little dragon that was brought to me last week. Wish him luck!

Old 03-08-2012, 11:51 PM   #22
Snake-Queen
Glad to see he is on the mend!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:33 PM   #23
wyldwurm
Hate to bring back an old thread, but I couldn't help myself! The little beardie has made a FULL recovery (save for a very slight under bite). The woman who brought him to me had decided it was too much responsibility for her to take on and has let me keep him.

I just wanted to thank everyone again for their help and share the good news.

Old 04-18-2012, 07:53 PM   #24
angie.h
That's good to hear ! It's not a bother to bring up an old thread with good news.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:05 AM   #25
wyldwurm
For those interested, Little Dude passed away this evening. I don't know what went wrong because he seemed fine this morning. I gave him his greens and he was munching away when I left for work.
I came home to him extremely lethargic, not even holding up his head. His beard was much darker than I have ever seen it. He was just limp.
I picked him up and he closed his eyes, curled up in my hand and I just held him and talked to him. He passed within minuted of me holding him.

I am glad I was there and able to say goodbye and tell him that he did a good job, but he was doing so well...I don't know what went wrong. I have never cried for a lizard before and I am really going to miss him.

Old 11-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #26
angie.h
Aw, I'm so sorry Kim! How sad for you....I wonder what happened ? How big was he ? Did he show any signs lately of not feeling well? Was there possibly anything in the tank he coul have eaten....loose substrate, fake plant leaf, etc. ? Did he roam outside he tank?

Old 11-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #27
wyldwurm
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
Aw, I'm so sorry Kim! How sad for you....I wonder what happened ? How big was he ? Did he show any signs lately of not feeling well? Was there possibly anything in the tank he coul have eaten....loose substrate, fake plant leaf, etc. ? Did he roam outside he tank?
Thanks Angie. No, he seemed just fine when I felt for work. Nothing at all out of the ordinary. I think perhaps he was just more damaged from his previous owner than I knew. I spoke to my vet over the phone and she said that it's entirely possible that something was internally wrong with his heart from being so neglected or since his growth was so stunted, he could have had a genetic defect. He was no bigger than a 3-4 month old beardie. I was told he was just over a year old (which, at the time, I did not believe since he was so small) and I had him since March 1st and he did not grow. He gained weight obviously, but did not grow. I don't think I will ever know for sure.
I am just glad he waited until I was there to pass. It was really like he waited on purpose. The timing was uncanny. I'd like to think that he did wait for me.
He is buried in my backyard with the dog my kids grew up with. That little lizard was really special to me. I know he was happy while he was with me. He would scratch the door of the enclosure to come out every day when I came home from work....gonna miss that little dude.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:27 PM   #28
angie.h
I agree, you will never really know what exactly it was, and it most likely hasd to do with his previous neglect. You really took good care of the little bugger, I know he was a special little friend.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:34 PM   #29
wyldwurm
Quote:
Originally Posted by angie.h View Post
I agree, you will never really know what exactly it was, and it most likely hasd to do with his previous neglect. You really took good care of the little bugger, I know he was a special little friend.
You know, my grandson talked me into getting a couple babies (didn't take much, he has me wrapped around his little finger)
I pick them up Monday

It won't replace him, but it will be nice to see my grandson light up again...he loved him to pieces!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!