I need help from fellow ball python owners please - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:10 PM   #31
Jeremcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
That is very thin and light for his age. I've had hatchlings fresh out of the egg at 70 grams on a regular basis, and he's only 53! At this point I would probably assist feed or even tube feed, if you're comfortable with the latter.
I have never attempted or even needed to tube or assist feed any of my snakes so im not sure how it would go. As far as comfort im not afraid to be bitten but i dont want to stress him out any more. I know he is thin though and thats why i am at a crossroad for what to do

Old 07-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #32
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremcy View Post
I contacted the breeder and after offering to take the snake back and re-establish him.. He suggested i switch it up with a rat pink. He was feeding on hoppers in the care of his breeder. I will not let him give up the ghost here and would play god and force/assist/tube feed before i let him accept death. At what point do those options realistically become the next necessary step?
Quote:
I have never attempted or even needed to tube or assist feed any of my snakes so im not sure how it would go. As far as comfort im not afraid to be bitten but i dont want to stress him out any more. I know he is thin though and thats why i am at a crossroad for what to do
Given your lack of relevant experience, why have you not returned the snake to the local breeder? I can understand wanting to do it yourself; but - when you have had no experience starting babies, no experience with "problem feeders", never assist/force fed, and you have a nonfeeding baby that you are obviously concerned about - it seems like an obvious choice. (On the other hand, you're going to want to learn at some point anyway; so...)

Here's the thing, though - the breeder is local, and he offered to take it back to get it eating again. Take advantage of his offer, because you won't always be so lucky. If you keep it until it is too far gone, or injure (or kill) it during a feeding attempt, the seller won't be obligated to do anything for you (because you had the option of returning it). If the snake fails in his care, he owes you a replacement or a refund.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #33
Jeremcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Given your lack of relevant experience, why have you not returned the snake to the local breeder? I can understand wanting to do it yourself; but - when you have had no experience starting babies, no experience with "problem feeders", never assist/force fed, and you have a nonfeeding baby that you are obviously concerned about - it seems like an obvious choice. (On the other hand, you're going to want to learn at some point anyway; so...)

Here's the thing, though - the breeder is local, and he offered to take it back to get it eating again. Take advantage of his offer, because you won't always be so lucky. If you keep it until it is too far gone, or injure (or kill) it during a feeding attempt, the seller won't be obligated to do anything for you (because you had the option of returning it). If the snake fails in his care, he owes you a replacement or a refund.
Thanks for your tough love response. You are right, clearly I am unequipped to be dealing with the current feeding habits of the snake I was given. I am going to attempt one more feeding in a week. Luckily for me the breeder is local and a nice understanding guy, as I'm sure you are aware. Do you have any advice or input as for the snakes weight? Obviously he is thin but I don't think he is too far gone yet. Is the end of the month too long to wait? In my defense- while I have little experience to handle this problem, I could have never forseen being faced with these choices when buying the snake.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #34
Helenthereef
Quote:
In my defense- while I have little experience to handle this problem, .
I don't think you need to defend yourself at all, you are doing all the right things by trying a variety of ways to feed him and by asking for advice. I think the "return him to breeder" idea makes sense because he was feeding for the breeder and it would de-stress both you and the snake by putting him back in "home" conditions.

If he still fails to thrive, you will then know it is not your fault, and if he starts to eat again you will have more time to work out what works and what doesn't. It's a win-win situation, and in your place I would take up that offer. It's not every breeder who would make it.

Old 07-18-2013, 05:58 PM   #35
Jeremcy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I don't think you need to defend yourself at all, you are doing all the right things by trying a variety of ways to feed him and by asking for advice. I think the "return him to breeder" idea makes sense because he was feeding for the breeder and it would de-stress both you and the snake by putting him back in "home" conditions.

If he still fails to thrive, you will then know it is not your fault, and if he starts to eat again you will have more time to work out what works and what doesn't. It's a win-win situation, and in your place I would take up that offer. It's not every breeder who would make it.
Thank you for the kind words. Youre right, my stress can hardly provide any benefit to him. I do feel as though ive provided the best and closest home conditions for him so far based on everyones advice, so its still a bit disheartening. Unfortunatley snakes don't talk and i cant read his mind.... which makes it difficult to know what exactly is making him unsatisfied.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #36
hhmoore
Jeremy,
I hope you took my words in the spirit in which they were offered. I wasn't knocking your experience, or your desire to make this work. My point was that it's a battle you don't have to fight. Ball pythons, even CBB babies, can be stubborn feeders...and the simplest things can serve as obstacles in the path to getting them to thrive. The difference of a couple of degrees can stop a good feeder cold, as can a change of substrate. Heck, even unsuccessful feeding attempts can set a trend that is difficult to break. And, yes, they will take it to the point of malnutrition and death.
The best advice I can give you, to help you do this on your own, is to contact the breeder and get the specifics of what he was doing - tub size, temps, substrate, prey (everything) - and come as close to that as you can.

Your snake is thin, but not emaciated. You've got some time to play, but I still recommend taking the breeders offer.

Old 07-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #37
April Homich
Could you elaborate on how you are heating the tub, how much of it is heated, and how you are measuring temps?

Old 07-21-2013, 04:22 PM   #38
Jeremcy
So today i decided to offer a rat pinky, and he took right to it . Perhaps mice were just not appealing enough. Thank you everyone for your advice and help and lets hope this guy becomes a wonderful regular feeder.

Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM   #39
Helenthereef
Good news! Congratulations

Old 07-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #40
Jeremcy
Thank you so much and indeed it is

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!