Best Way To Disinfect? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-11-2004, 09:29 PM   #1
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Question Best Way To Disinfect?

I just bought some used reptile tanks from a dealer.In the past, I've only converted used fish tanks to herps, and not being concerned with passing disease,I've washed and cleaned them with dish washing soap mixed with Clorox.

But, I'm a little more concerned with a through disinfecting this time.What is the best method?? Thanks in advance.

Old 10-11-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
nbemmer
safest product i've seen and used is chlorahexidine solution sometimes named nolvasan. Most veterinarian's use is and you might be able to purchase the concentrate through them or at various places online.
Nate

Old 10-11-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
Clay Davenport
Maybe someone who knows can verify for sure, but I have been told that Virusan is either the equivalent of Novasan, or is Novasan under a different name.
Just another product to look for.
I use Virusan myself, buy it by the gallon in concentrate and mix a spray bottle of solution at a time.
I'm not sure about the various outlets for Novasan, but Virusan can be purchased online or at many farm supply stores. It's used in farming for several things including dipping cow udders to prevent or treat infectious conditions.

As for what you're doing with the new cages, the clorox has probably done a complete job already. It's a fine method of disinfecting but the other chemicals have the advantage of not needing to let the cage air out a little, and not having to rinse it off.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:05 PM   #4
Chris_Harper2
chlorhexadine

I believe Virusan is just a slightly different quaternary ammonia compound from Nolvasan. The latter is 2% chlorhexidine diacetate if anyone wants to compare for sure.

I believe it's Omaha Vaccine that sells a generic nolvasan for $12 per gallon. That is super cheap. It is the full 2%, not already diluted, so it's a fantastic value.

I love Nolvasan but like other QAC's it is very unstable in the presence of organic matter. Since reptile disinfecting typically involves significant organic matter one should occasionally follow a "double disinfection" regime.

Bleach is about as good as any disinfectant in the presence of organic matter. Whenever a thorough disinfecting is needed cages, bowls, etc. should have as much OM removed as possible and then be soaked in a dilute bleach solution for ten minutes. Rinse the item thoroughly and then soak in a dilute QAC solution for another ten minutes.

Bleach to take care of the organic matter, QAC's to kill the viral contaminants not killed by bleach.

I change water and spot clean one or two times per week. For this I just use Nolvasan since it is so easy to work with. The double disinfection regime I follow once a month or so.

Old 10-12-2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Chris_Harper2
google...

I just did a quick google search and sure enough both Virosan and Nolvasan are chlorhexidine based products.

They may not both be chlorhexidine diacetate (I did not find this specifically), but are likely very similar. From my google search it definately seems that occasional use of the double disinfection regime is a good idea.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:27 PM   #6
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Would dilute Chlorox followed by dilute household ammonia work?? I'd like to get started without waiting for Nolvasan to be shipped to me.Thanks.

Old 10-12-2004, 04:33 PM   #7
Chris_Harper2
bleach

For your peace of mind I would be inclined to suggest using a true quaternary ammonia compound (QAC) once the cages have been bleached.

You can likely find one of the many different types of QAC's at feed stores, veterinary supply stores, or possibly even your veternarian.

There are many, many QAC's out there, so it's hard just to pick a name and tell you to look for it.

Old 10-12-2004, 06:57 PM   #8
StickyTongues
Does anyone go through all this when handling nolvasan? Check out the Danger part. This is from the label on the back of Nolvasan.

Sam Leam

User Safety: Follow manufacturer's instructions for cleaning/maintaining personal protective equipment. If there are no such instructions for washables, use detergent and hot water. Keep and wash personal protective equipment separately from other laundry.

Users should wash hands before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco, or using the toilet. Users should remove clothing immediately if pesticide gets on or inside it, then wash both skin and clothing thoroughly and put on clean clothes. Users should remove personal protective equipment immediately after handling this product. Wash the outside of gloves before removing. As soon as possible, wash skin and clothing thoroughly and change into clean clothes.

PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS HAZARDS TO HUMANS (AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS)

Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reaction in some individuals.

Remove contaminated clothing and wash before reuse.

DANGER

Corrosive: Causes irreversible eye damage. Wear protective eyewear (Goggles, face shield or safety glasses). Harmful if swallowed or absorbed through skin or inhaled. May be fatal if inhaled. Avoid breathing spray mist.

Avoid contact with skin or clothing and do not swallow. Wear rubber gloves when handling or applying.

First Aid

IF IN EYES: Hold eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15-20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first 5 minutes, then continue rinsing. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice.

IF SWALLOWED: Call a poison control center or doctor immediately for treatment advice. Have person sip a glass of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to by a poison control center or doctor.

IF ON SKIN: Take off contaminated clothing. Rinse skin immediately with plenty of water for 15-20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment.

IN INHALED: Move person to fresh air. If person is not breathing, call 911 or an ambulance, then give artificial respiration, preferably mouth-to-mouth, if possible. Call a poison control center or doctor for further treatment.

ENVIRONMENTAL HAZARDS

Do not discharge effluent containing this product into lakes, streams, ponds, estuaries, oceans, or other waters unless in accordance with the requirements of a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NDPES) permit and the permitting authority has been notified in writing prior to discharge. Do not discharge effluent containing this product to sewer systems without previously notifying the local sewage treatment plant authority. For guidance contact your State Water Board or Regional Office of the EPA. Do not contaminate water by cleaning of equipment or disposal of waste.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:55 PM   #9
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Thanks for the all the info guys. I was able to pick up some chlorahexidine at my local herp store today. Should have been the first place I looked......

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!