Tylosin (TYLAN) used for reptiles?? - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-31-2006, 02:49 PM   #11
leaftail
I'd like to hear more about Tylan and reptiles if anyone else out there has any info. My boa has had a mild but stubbornly recurring RI, and a boa buddy of mine recommended Tylan. However, my vet, who is admittedly not a snake expert, won't try it because she'd never heard of it used on reptiles, only cows etc. I'd really like to convince her to try it.

Old 05-31-2006, 03:25 PM   #12
Mike Greathouse
I have been using Tylan successfully for the past 3 or 4 years with a couple of my boas. It works well in situations where RI's have been recurring and Baytril has been ineffective.

Inject the Tylan sub q at a dosage of 50m / kg. Repeat the injections 3 times with a 3 day interval between injections.

Make sure you adjust the dosage based on whether you're using Tylan50 or Tylan200.

There are several discussion threads about Tylan usage on the forums at:The Boa Network

Just do a search on Tylan at that site.

This is the old Boa ThinkTank site by Jeff Ronne (The Boaphile). It was a post by Jeff several years ago that first introduced me to the wonders of Tylan.

Good luck with your animals,

Old 05-31-2006, 05:12 PM   #13
nicolai
Those dosages are for the tylan 50? Where do you give the injection?

Old 05-31-2006, 05:16 PM   #14
Mike Greathouse
Yes, They are for the Tylan50. The injections should be made in the 1st third of the body just under the skin. Don't go deep and give an intramuscular injection.

I have it on good authority from a vet tech who accidentally injected herself with Tylan, that it stings quite a bit. So you can expect a little squirming from the patient.

Old 05-31-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
nicolai
Baytril has the same effect, it is slightly painful for the animals as well.

Old 05-31-2006, 07:14 PM   #16
coyote
I have used Tylosin in snakes for RI's at a dose of 50mg/kg SQ 1X daily for 6 days/doses. I found it very effective. Of course, antibiotic therapy was concurrent with husbandry adjustments like ambient temp increase.

For my 1kg snake, I injected 0.25cc/ml of the Tylan 200.

The Tylan 200 is readily found in feed stores and merchants that cater to livestock people. The tylan 50 has to be purchased via small animal suppliers.

Old 06-01-2006, 07:39 AM   #17
nicolai
I am off to the vets today. i will find out what he has to say and how he feels about tylan. One thing is for sure. Tylan is about 10% the cost of baytril.

Old 06-01-2006, 11:35 AM   #18
leaftail
So, you guys inject your own snakes? How does that go?

Old 06-01-2006, 09:10 PM   #19
esoteric-lizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicolai
I am off to the vets today. i will find out what he has to say and how he feels about tylan. One thing is for sure. Tylan is about 10% the cost of baytril.
tylan is microbial specific... in other words it doesnt kill all types of bacteria.

a culture and sensitivity is usually the best thing to do before administering any antibiotics.

really you should go with what is proven to work than worry about cost... there is a reason batryil is a little more expesive.

good luck with the vet.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:20 PM   #20
Cat_72
Wel, I guess I'm a little late, as it looks like you got your questions answered Nicholai, but yeah, the Tylan 200 was what my vet happened to have on hand, so it was diluted to the strength of the 50.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!